What would these planes be worth? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 07-13-2009, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Creative sawdust maker

View ScottyB's Photo Album My Photos
What would these planes be worth?

A friend of mine handed some hand planes over to me today. These planes belonged to her grandfather and were used to help build the log cabin that her father was born in. I have no idea how old they are but she is 56 years old. If there is some value to them I would be interested in selling them for her as she is in need of the money. Is there anyone here who can help value these?
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-13-2009, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Creative sawdust maker

More pics...
Attached Images

post #3 of 12 Old 07-13-2009, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Creative sawdust maker

More pics...
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 07-13-2009, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Creative sawdust maker

Last two pics...
Attached Images

post #5 of 12 Old 07-13-2009, 05:42 PM

View chevyll_1967's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to chevyll_1967
Are they all the same brand? Myself I go $75 for all lot of cleaning up to do on them
post #6 of 12 Old 07-13-2009, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Creative sawdust maker

Looking at the first picture, the top and bottom ones appear to be Winchester. The middle one is a Defiance by Staney. It looks to me like they could be cleaned up fairly easily but as I don't know anything about planes I don't want to dismantle them yet as I am not sure how to make sure they are properly aligned and sharpened.

I may go ahead and clean them up for myself anyway as that is what she really wants, but if there was enough there to help her out of a bind I would like to help her out that way.
post #7 of 12 Old 07-13-2009, 10:21 PM

View nzgeordie's Photo Album My Photos
Scotty, it depends on who's going to buy. If it's a tool collector, then don't touch them. If it's a tool user, cleaning them is quite simple - just needs some elbow grease and it could add to the price you get for them. The important thing is to make sure all the parts are there and in good order.
I recently cleaned and tuned a rusty old Stanley 04-1/2. The blade and cap iron were set to soak in a solution of citric acid overnight then buffed. The body was smoothed on P600 paper glued to a sheet of glass until the worst of the pitting was gone and the sole was smooth and true, then I heated the body (in the sun) before applying a lanolin based coating to prevent further rusting. A knife-edge file taken to the mouth to clean it up (if necessary), sharpen the blade and true the leading edge of the cap-iron and a general clean and oil of the other parts and the plane was good as new (maybe better)

You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be led.
Pete
post #8 of 12 Old 07-14-2009, 08:45 AM

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
Thumbs up

I'm not sure about the others...doubt they're worth much, but the Winchester name tends to get some attention on Ebay....possibly due to their gun fame. It's definitely worth checking out. At the very least, I'm sure it could be tuned up to be a good user. It's a little rough but depending on what you plan to do with it, it might clean up nicely. Doing too much can devalue from a collector's perspective, which is why you want to check the value first, but they're not typically worth a lot if in rough shape either.

As an example of how far they can be restored...I rehabbed an old Bedrock 605 that was pretty rough when I got it. It was a couple of hours of effort but nothing major. Lots of cleaning, some rust removal, fixed the tote, repained the body, etc. As far as value...bought it for $6, sold it quickly for $85....it may have gone for more if I auctioned it, and would definitely be worth more if in original condition looking like it does now.

An interesting link.

And another. CianPerez.com/Woodworking/Fossil Fuel Friendly

But wait...there's more.

Last edited by knotscott; 07-14-2009 at 09:02 AM.
post #9 of 12 Old 07-19-2009, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Creative sawdust maker

Thanks for the input. I haven't decided what to do with the planes yet and haven't had a chance to research values yet but I do appreciate the diferent ideas. Thanks again.
post #10 of 12 Old 08-09-2009, 05:58 PM

View kapena's Photo Album My Photos
The block plane with FDRY on it is a collectible. I think it is somewhat rare, but I'm no expert. Be careful about cleaning it up.

The Winchester is a good one too.
post #11 of 12 Old 08-10-2009, 06:05 PM

View phinds's Photo Album My Photos
knotscot, that's some nice restoration.

Paul

You can never have too much pepperoni on your pizza or own too many clamps.
www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/
post #12 of 12 Old 03-14-2010, 04:52 PM
MuseumWood

View MuseumWood's Photo Album My Photos
Be careful. The books are based on auction prices for a specific plane at a specific time. Anyone assessing the value must have the thing in hand. Be especially careful if they give a value and then offer that much to you!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode