What plane is this? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 07-03-2015, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

View Chris B's Photo Album My Photos
What plane is this?

Hi folks ... please excuse the question as an introduction, but I picked this up yesterday (thrown in with a #5C high knob I went to buy) and it has me stumped, so I thought I'd come and ask the guys who know :D. It appears to be a low angle / bevel up block plane, although something may or may not be missing from the back end, as there is a broken part in the casting.

The blade does not (to my uneducated eye) necessarily match the plane, as it is a quality, bi-metal blade made to have a chip breaker but currently flying solo. The casting of the body is pretty rough inside. When it arrived the wooden wedge was UNDER the blade and lying the blade flat on the bad results in very little blade getting out of the mouth before it closes completely, so it is possible the wedge should be under the blade, or there is some adjustment mechanism missing where the casting is chipped, or ... open to ideas. I have little experience with bevel up planes. What you are seeing is the plane after a night in a vinegar bath and a quick scrubbing with wd40 before I had to run out to work.

I do like the shape of the body and I believe that is what will identify it when someone who has one or knows what it is sees the pictures. Overall length is 7" and blade width (which does match the body) is 1-3/4". Now ... let's see if I can find a way to attach the pictures ... if you don't see them it means I am still trying Thanks in advance for any information you may be able to provide Chris B <-- spends more time restoring tools than working wood ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	three_parts.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	171073  

Attached Images

Last edited by Chris B; 07-03-2015 at 12:45 PM. Reason: link showing instead of gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-03-2015, 02:53 PM

View BZawat's Photo Album My Photos
To my eye that looks like it was home-made by a woodworker with some metalworking knowledge. The iron appears to be from an infill style or wood-bodied plane.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-03-2015, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

View Chris B's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BZawat View Post
To my eye that looks like it was home-made by a woodworker with some metalworking knowledge. The iron appears to be from an infill style or wood-bodied plane.
Agreed on the iron - it is a nicely laminated blade and, despite the hammered back end, does appear to have been looked after - no chips around the edge and the back has been flattened at some time.

Interesting thought on the plane - that hadn't occurred to me. It is a nice shape and I was hoping someone might recognise it, but obviously that wouldn't happen if it were home made. That would also account for the roughness of the internals. The bed does appear to line up perfectly with the back edge but when you lay the blade in, it hardly gets any protrusion before closing off the mouth - presumably why the previous owner had the blade on top of the wedge, which does give a better cutting presentation but obviously removes the benefits of the blade lying flat and hard against the bed ...

I'm still hopeful someone may recognise it though :D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 07-04-2015, 11:11 AM

View Hammer1's Photo Album My Photos
Looks like an early squirrel tail, low angle block plane. Wood wedge rather than a metal cap. The iron was replaced with one that was too long. The squirrel tail was broken off and the back of the blade contact area was altered. The plane was probably deemed useless by a former owner that tried to make it useable. Finding/paying for an iron that would fit isn't something that was easily available or affordable for most. Make do with what you have.
http://www.tias.com/8600/PictPage/1922408648.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode