What do U prefer? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By JohnTC
  • 2 Post By Tool Agnostic

post #1 of 7 Old 01-07-2019, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

View johnty1053's Photo Album My Photos
What do U prefer?

What system (sandpaper, stones, grinder do you prefer for sharpening and on what tools does it work best?

Last edited by Steve Neul; 01-07-2019 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Remove link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-07-2019, 03:57 PM

View Wlodyd's Photo Album My Photos
Assuming I'm sharpening a dull, used tool... I'm likely going to need all 3 of those things depending on the tool. Coarse grit sandpaper to flatten it and knock off any rust, a grinder to form the bevel, and a stone to sharpen and polish the bevel (course and fine grit stones). I then finish with a strop for a super sharp and polished finish (this is really optional tho, I did fine without it for some time). I use this system mostly on my hand planes and chisels, but works for pretty much anything - knives, scrapers, etc.

I have wetstones for the middle step and I am far from in love with the process. They're messy and I need to soak them for 15 minutes before using them, however I never know I need them until I grab the tool and realize it needs a quick tune-up, and they wear pretty fast too. I'm going to invest in some diamond stones for that middle step next.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-07-2019, 05:30 PM
Recycled Member

Location: Magnificently mountainous McBride in the Robson Valley
View Brian T's Photo Album My Photos
I was using several water stones which I found were never messy when mounted properly.
However, I switched from european style carving tools to Pacific Northwest Fisrt Nations carving tools.
I'm guessing 5-7 years ago.

Crooked knives and various adzes and planer knives. They all have sweeps = curved, not straight, edges.
I use all sorts of rods and pipes with 3M fine automotive wet&dry finishing sandpapers (600, 8000, 1000, 1200 and 1500 grits)
for sharpening. In fact, for the adzes you see in my avatar, I use tennis balls for mandrels.

I was taught freehand sharpening. From my knees, not from my elbows.
Never looked at any other system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-07-2019, 08:45 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
It all depends upon the condition that the tool is in and what the tool is used for. I do not use a grinder for much other than lawnmower blades and tools that are in very rough shape., which I seldom see.

George
post #5 of 7 Old 01-08-2019, 07:48 AM
Be Nice

View JohnTC's Photo Album My Photos
Slow speed grinder for damaged edges, diamond plates, and leather strop with compound.
gmercer_48083 likes this.

"The kind of man who wants the government to adopt and enforce his ideas is always the kind of man whose ideas are idiotic." -H.L. Mencken
post #6 of 7 Old 01-08-2019, 10:29 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Hand plane blades and chisels:
A series of diamond stones. I highly recommend the Veritas Deluxe Honing Guide Set for setting and maintaining the bevel angles.
https://dmtsharp.com
http://www.veritastools.com/Products/Page.aspx?p=144

Hand Plane Irons (the bottoms of hand planes):
A flat piece of granite and sandpaper. I sometimes use this method to flatten the backs of hand plane blades.

High Speed Steel (HSS) Turning Tools:
Grizzly wet grinder with Tormek jigs (TTS-100, SVD-186, SVS-50, and SVS-38)
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Griz...tion/T10010ANV
https://www.tormek.com/usa/en/kits/t...dturner-s-kit/
https://www.tormek.com/usa/en/grindi...ol-jig-svs-32/

Carbide Turning Tools:
I bought replacement carbide tips, but haven't needed them yet. I plan to try sharpening the old tips by flattening the backs on diamond stones, but I have been told that it does not work that well.
Example carbide tip for one of my tools: https://www.rockler.com/full-size-sq...ent-cutter-sr2

Pocket Knives:
Various old whetstones, some dry, some with honing oil. Some are old "Arkansas" whetstones.

Kitchen Knives:
A "Crock Stick" sharpener uses two ceramic rods shaped in a "V". The rods insert into holes in the wood storage base. Easy, fast, works great.

Q and A:

Q: Why do you have so many different ways to sharpen things?
A: Historical reasons. I acquired the various sharpeners over decades. Most of the time, I bought the sharpener when I got the tool that needed it. I bought the Grizzly wet grinder when I got HSS turning tools and needed a way to sharpen the rounded edges.

Q: Why sharpen your hand plane blades and chisels on diamond stones when you have a Grizzly wet grinder?
A: Good question. I bought the diamond stones before the Grizzly wet grinder, and I still need the diamond stones to flatten the backs of those tools. Furthermore, I have not yet decided whether I want to put a hollow grind on my hand plane blades and chisels. It would save a lot of time to use the Grizzly. There is no reason not to switch, other than pride, wanting a flat grind, and perhaps a sense of tradition.

Last edited by Tool Agnostic; 01-08-2019 at 01:12 PM.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-08-2019, 12:32 PM

View gj13us's Photo Album My Photos
Two diamond stones, a Norton India stone, and an old leather weightlifting belt for a strop.

Tags
grinders, hand tools, power tools, sanders, woodworking tools

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode