Woodworking Talk banner

What is it ?

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  FrankC 
#1 ·
Greetings all this seems like a great forum!
Im an old carpenter but a newb here.

Can anyone identify this old object I found in some stuff while cleaning out a shed with some estate items ?
Seems to be something for a hand brace of which I have a few but ???

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
It does look like a Stearns and the name (and use) is "tenon cutter" (not dowel) with this style used for chairs most commonly...Great tool to use when restored but the ones that are "multi-function" are not as nice as the ones dedicated to just one size alone...but that is an individual preference for sure...

#10 ·
Actually Allen, though it could make short dowels with to some degree...that is not what the tool was used for primarily. It is meant for cutting round tenon on stock for primarily chairs in most shops I have seen...or...used myself. Mine is around here somewhere (I think?) but I don't use it as often for the Adirondack furniture I make as I like other systems (Veritas) better...

I have seen, fairly to be mistaken, it mislabeled in a number of collections and by private owners. I have never seen it mislabeled by those that have actually used it in context to intent...

Regards,

j

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.