Vintage Stanley planes - better "as is," or restored? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 06-12-2015, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
No shop woodshop

View maybedave's Photo Album My Photos
Question Vintage Stanley planes - better "as is," or restored?

Hey folks,

So I bought two Stanley #5s, mostly to learn something about dating them and looking for various features. I definitely plan to restore the one I'm keeping (type 13), but about the one I'm going to sell (type 16)... Will it be worth more if I restore it and sell it or will people want a tool with all the age on it?

I plan to lightly sand and refinish the tote and knob, polish the brass, do what little flattening the sole needs, and sharpen the blade. The chip breaker is in great shape. Not sure if I should mess with the decaying japanning at all... So what do you think?

On the other hand, is there any reason I should just keep the second one?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Making it all up as I go...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-12-2015, 01:43 AM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Given that youre planning on selling it, id leave it as is. People get crazy about old stuff, and anybody who collects will start frothing at the mouth if it isnt in original condition. I never understood those people, a tool is only useful if its in good working order after all

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #3 of 5 Old 07-03-2015, 10:37 AM

View Dovetails's Photo Album My Photos
I have been watching Ebay recently though, and have noticed that the planes that are advertised as "ready to use" seem to go for more money... now, is it worth your time, who knows... just a thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 07-03-2015, 12:12 PM

View hwebb99's Photo Album My Photos
I have been looking on eBay for planes. The old rusted clunkers sell for less than a restored one. A hand tool enthusiasts might like an all original rusted plane, but most people would rather have a restored one. I wouldn't sell it anyway. You can never have too many tools.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-03-2015, 05:02 PM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
Good advice from previous posts! Consider checking on line the old tool market now for similar 16 planes restored & as is. Have seen many collectors who never intend to put those old rusty tools to work again and only hope to make big $ because a tool is in bad condition and can call it an antique. IMO hang on to the 16 as it is. Doubtful if it will escalate to a high price anytime soon. Be safe..

Tags
japanning, plane, restoration, stanley

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode