Vintage Hand Tools - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 4Likes
  • 4 Post By woodnthings

post #1 of 6 Old 04-23-2017, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

View NathanM's Photo Album My Photos
Vintage Hand Tools

Hello guys! I am a hobby woodworker, nothing too serious, and new to the forum. I love woodworking and I also love antiques. So I am thinking about smashing the two together and buying up old tools and restoring them.

I have no concerns about my ability to make an old tool look like new, but I am curious to see what tools you guys would recommend. I will probably look for most of them on eBay, but I will also be keeping my eye out locally as well. What would you recommend I look for, anything specific?

I look forward to your responses, thanks!

P.S. Yes I know that some people will tell me that an old tool is most valuable as rusty and patinaed as possible, which may be true for some super rare ones, but a tool was meant to be used, and if the condition prevents them from being used, what is the point?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-23-2017, 08:07 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I got into restoring old planes about a year ago

I was buying several of the old Stanley 78's and other no. 6 and 7's. and removing the rust, sharpening the blades and painting the knob and handles. My purpose was to use them as well as have them all displayed on a shelf for storage and viewing as a collection of sorts.

Ebay is a great resource, but there is so much to know about them between the Baileys and Stanleys and sweethearts and all the others I got overwhelmed. I've got a few more to finish up and I'll be all set.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #3 of 6 Old 04-23-2017, 11:06 PM

View Roybrew's Photo Album My Photos
I agree with NathanM. I buy them to use.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-24-2017, 08:27 AM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
Most woodworking crafters have an "older" WW tool, that is either on display or used in a project. Some great tool books out there that may give you more info as to use and restoration, ie - "Hand Tools, their ways & workings" by Aldren Watson. Also Roy Underhill, The Woodwright's Shop has both books and TV series to give more ideas/history of the old tools and methods. Be safe.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-26-2017, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

View NathanM's Photo Album My Photos
What are the best websites or books to identify obscure planes? I picked up a couple planes off eBay. I am pretty sure none of them are any good, only one of them is a Stanley I believe, but they will work I am sure. If you guys have any idea what these other planes are, I would appreciate it!

Here is a link to the Google Drive file. There were too many to upload here unfortunately: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...ms?usp=sharing

Thanks!
post #6 of 6 Old 04-26-2017, 08:32 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
I have a large collection of old tools, but all of my tools are workable, usable tools. The only antique hand tools I want would be planes and layout tools.
I thought I had a pretty good collection of hand planes until Woodnthings posted above. But I think he has 6 or more of every tool in his shop. Ha.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode