Top coat finish looks pitted after sanding - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 10-19-2017, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

View Codyw725's Photo Album My Photos
Top coat finish looks pitted after sanding

I'm redoing my kitchen cabinets. I deglossed them and then painted them with 3 coats of white bond coat paint (I used the Rustoleum kitchen transformations kit). To protect it I'm putting on Verethaynes Water based semi gloss top coat. I just put on the first coat and then very lightly sanded it with some 220 grit sandpaper to smooth out the finish a bit. Now the finish looks a little pitted so I'm wondering if this is normal. I put the paint/bond coat on with a foam roller, but I put the top coat on with a high quality synthetic brush. Is this normal? Attached are the best pictures I could really take
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-19-2017, 09:22 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
The finish needed to be thinned a little or add some floetrol to it to slow down the drying time. The finish just didn't flow out after being rolled. You would have been better off with a soft paint brush. I don't like foam rollers for they reason you are experiencing.

Last edited by Steve Neul; 10-19-2017 at 09:39 PM.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-19-2017, 09:28 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
The foam roller is what gave you the rougher finish. Sanding was needed after the first coat. If the first coat is not flat the following coats will not be flat. The high quality brush should have been used for the first coat.
A sprayer usually yields the smoothest finish but a brushed or wiped finish can be just as smooth if sanded between coats and rubbed out afterward. Rolled finishes are usually best on textured walls and exteriors where a super smooth finish isnít so important.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 10-19-2017, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Sorry....I only used the foam roller to apply the paint. I used a high quality synthetic brush only for the top coat. I also added general finishes extender to keep it wet longer and allow it to level so that is why I'm stumped as to why the finish looks the way it does.

Last edited by Codyw725; 10-19-2017 at 10:58 PM.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-19-2017, 11:12 PM

Not being there it's difficult to tell the difference between orange peal and fisheye from the photo. If you think it looks more like fisheye that is caused from cleaning the cabinets with furniture polish. The aerosol furniture polish contains silicone which will wrinkle up the paint. There is a fix for solvent coatings but I don't know if it would work with that finish or not. The paint additive is called smoothie which is silicone. It makes the paint flow out normally.
Attached Images

post #6 of 7 Old 10-19-2017, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

You know it looks more like orange peel but it feels extremely smooth. I'm just wondering if since I put the paint on with a roller it left that orange peel texture and then once I dander the topcoat it actually gives it the look of orange peel due to the different levels of top coat. I think I'll just go for it and put costs two and three on with some light sanding in between and see how it looks. Do you still polish out the final coat with water based poly and if so what's the best method?
post #7 of 7 Old 10-20-2017, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codyw725 View Post
You know it looks more like orange peel but it feels extremely smooth. I'm just wondering if since I put the paint on with a roller it left that orange peel texture and then once I dander the topcoat it actually gives it the look of orange peel due to the different levels of top coat. I think I'll just go for it and put costs two and three on with some light sanding in between and see how it looks. Do you still polish out the final coat with water based poly and if so what's the best method?
I think before you go further you need to figure out what is going wrong. Try putting the paint on in the same manor on something else to see if the problem is with the substrate or the roller. Once you find the means to apply the paint smooth I would go over the paint you have with primer sanding between coats until you get the surface level. Then you can apply the paint and have the finish you wanted to begin with. Primer has a lot more solids so it builds thickness easier and sands easier.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode