A tip for making a uniform rabbet ..... - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By woodnthings
  • 1 Post By woodnthings

post #1 of 8 Old 05-29-2020, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
A tip for making a uniform rabbet .....

I'm not a "handtool woodworker" but I do use them when it's appropriate like cleaning up this rabbet I made using my bandsaw to waste away the great portion of it. It did not come out perfect however, it was a bit tapered. I needed a way to make it a uniform thickness all the way across it's width. So, after a few minutes thought I came up with the idea of using a spacer of the correct thickness, actually a piece of 1/8" thick Masonite, to rest my bull nose plane and my razor sharp mortising chisel on. Sure enough it worked like a charm:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200529_172815.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	408.2 KB
ID:	390413  

Name:	20200529_172643.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	442.2 KB
ID:	390415  

Name:	20200529_172632.jpg
Size:	500.4 KB
ID:	390417  

Name:	20200529_172707.jpg
Size:	476.9 KB
ID:	390419  

BigJim, Tool Agnostic and homestd like this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 05-29-2020 at 08:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-03-2020, 06:07 PM
mike44

View kwoodhands's Photo Album My Photos
The rabbit came out tapered because the work is cupped. Next time you need to rabbit or dado a rip or crosscut try this.
Make a wood insert for the saw top. The insert needs a slight hump from the center of the blade to each end of the insert.
What this does is make sure the dado passes over the blades at the same height regardless of any cup in the board.
Usually 1/16" / 3/32" high at the center that tapers to zero will be plenty high.
I would start by making the insert 3/32" or so high. Plane , sand etc til the insert looks about right. Does not have to be perfect, mostly an eyeball job. As long as the insert is a high in the center this will work. Every rabbit or dado will be the same depth.
mike
post #3 of 8 Old 06-03-2020, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
where's my table saw?

Nope. it was my operator error ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoodhands View Post
The rabbit came out tapered because the work is cupped. Next time you need to rabbit or dado a rip or crosscut try this.
Make a wood insert for the saw top. The insert needs a slight hump from the center of the blade to each end of the insert.
What this does is make sure the dado passes over the blades at the same height regardless of any cup in the board.
Usually 1/16" / 3/32" high at the center that tapers to zero will be plenty high.
I would start by making the insert 3/32" or so high. Plane , sand etc til the insert looks about right. Does not have to be perfect, mostly an eyeball job. As long as the insert is a high in the center this will work. Every rabbit or dado will be the same depth.
mike

Unless you know how I made the initial rabbet, you can't jump to any conclusions. The wood was not warped. I made the rabbets, all 4 of them, on the bandsaw with the fully assembled and stapled shelf held out over the table extended about 30", so it was hard to control even with the fence and a depth stop. Because the shelf was assembled, and I needed the rabbet on the inside of the verticals, I couldn't use the table saw, my normal method for making rabbets.
I've made rabbets and tenons using the bandsaw many times, but those pieces were not a part of an assembly.

This one was way off, but the 3 others were very close, so I needed a way to make them all identical and this was a "quick and dirty" solution, but very effective and that's why I posted it.
hoowasat likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-04-2020, 12:28 AM
Be Nice

View JohnTC's Photo Album My Photos
It helps to start with a uniform mama rabbit and a uniform daddy rabbit....

"The kind of man who wants the government to adopt and enforce his ideas is always the kind of man whose ideas are idiotic." -H.L. Mencken
post #5 of 8 Old 06-04-2020, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
where's my table saw?

This technique will work on larger rabbets as well

Let's say you need a 1/2" deep rabbet on a piece of 3/4" thick stock. You can saw away most of the waste leaving just enough to pare away and resting your chisel or rabbet plane on a 1/2" thick spacer. They will all be the same thickness this way.

post #6 of 8 Old 06-04-2020, 10:53 AM

View DrRobert's Photo Album My Photos
A router plane is also good tool for this.

Robert
post #7 of 8 Old 06-04-2020, 05:07 PM
mike44

View kwoodhands's Photo Album My Photos
I did not realize you used a bandsaw to saw the rabbits. Hard for me to picture, I have used a tablesaw, router, jointer , milling machine and rabbit planes to saw the rabbits. Lots of ways to do things, your way is new to me.
mike
post #8 of 8 Old 06-04-2020, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
where's my table saw?

I had to use the bandsaw or a .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoodhands View Post
I did not realize you used a bandsaw to saw the rabbits. Hard for me to picture, I have used a tablesaw, router, jointer , milling machine and rabbit planes to saw the rabbits. Lots of ways to do things, your way is new to me.
mike

Because the small shelve unit was stapled together an would not come apart, I either had to use a handsaw or a bandsaw. I couldn't fit my table saw in between the shelves

So, as I stated above I use the bandsaw for making tenons. Here's some photos showing the fence, but usually I use a stop block clamped on for the depth:

So, two fence settings are all you need for the shoulders, but the piece must be held vertically for the face cuts, or you'll get a tapered tongue. I use a miter gauge. It's way better than a dado set on the table saw, just as accurate and no need to change out your saw blades, a tedious task which I avoid when possible.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode