• 2 Post By FrankC
  • 1 Post By Tool Agnostic
  • 1 Post By Kerrys
  • 1 Post By homestd
  • 1 Post By J.C.

post #1 of 7 Old 10-22-2019, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

View mjadams61's Photo Album My Photos
Straight edge/ ruler.

I am looking to find a good straight edge/ruler. Now I am on a budget so to speak of $50 or under for maybe a 24"-36". I started my search with looking at the Peachtree site and they seem pretty sturdy and price right for my budget, just wondering if anyone uses them or what is recommended. I am a little OCD when it comes to things I use in woodworking but being on a budget kinda drives me a little batty so to speak :).

Marlin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-22-2019, 03:04 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I would never consider spending $50 for a straight edge/ruler. I think the last 36" I bought cost between $12 and $15. I think the brand may have been Encore, or something like that.

/george
mjadams61 likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-22-2019, 03:18 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
As straight edge is a straight edge, what ever it is made of steel, plastic, or wood, beyond that it is personal preference as to markings, thickness etc. so I am with George on this. I have a 4' level that is dead on that I picked up at a garage sale years ago for a couple bucks that is my go to.
mjadams61 and homestd like this.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 10-22-2019, 04:30 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
You might want to look at this thread, which I started a few months ago. I was looking for a good straightedge to flatten my table saw top:

https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f12/...6-inch-212929/

While shopping, I learned that some rulers have labels on them that say "straightedge", others not.

I found an Empire 48 inch straightedge / ruler (model 4004IM) that met my needs. I paid around $10 for it in my local hardware store, but it was untagged, the last one on the shelf, and not in their inventory, so they made up a price and gave me a deal.

Amazon sells a Starrett 48 inch straightedge ruler for $14. I don't own one, but a Starrett brand straightedge better be straight, right? A concern would be protection during shipment.

All the straightedges and levels I looked at in the stores were wrapped in shrinkwrap, so you could not test the edges for straightness. I finally decided to buy one anyway and take my chances. It worked out okay for me.

One problem with using straightedge rulers is that they don't stand on their own. I use blocks of scrapwood to hold it up when I need a third hand. A better solution might be a self-standing level. My old long level has too much accumulated cement and other gunk that prevent its use as a straightedge, which is why I bought the new one.

I hope this helps.
mjadams61 likes this.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-22-2019, 05:11 PM

View Kerrys's Photo Album My Photos
I have several sheet rock squares and a 48 straight edge/ruler. I doubt I paid much more than 10 or 15 bucks for any of them. I have had them for years.
mjadams61 likes this.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-23-2019, 10:23 AM

View homestd's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerrys View Post
I have several sheet rock squares and a 48 straight edge/ruler. I doubt I paid much more than 10 or 15 bucks for any of them. I have had them for years.

Sheet rock square and aluminum 4' level. Had both for years, Drilled some small holes in the sheet rock square to screw down to material when using a circular saw.
mjadams61 likes this.

Mother is the necessity of most invention.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-23-2019, 11:19 PM

View J.C.'s Photo Album My Photos
Woodpecker Rules are pretty good as both a ruler and straightedge.
mjadams61 likes this.

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. Cheap prices make for cheap goods; cheap goods make for cheap men; and cheap men make for a cheap country. ~ William McKinley

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode