A small precision miter box and razor saw .... - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By woodnthings
  • 1 Post By woodnthings
  • 2 Post By Ron_J

post #1 of 12 Old 02-09-2020, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
A small precision miter box and razor saw ....

I bought one of these from Rockler recently......
...because I didn't have one?

...because I needed one?

No, I just thought it would be a cool thing to have in case I needed one! It is just perfect for miters on small frames around boxes and chests which are my favorite things to make. The razor saw cuts on the pull stroke, AKA Japanese style. The blade is very thin and the teeth are extremely fine. It should be just perfect for my "needs".

https://www.rockler.com/mini-combo-miter-saw-set

BigJim likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-09-2020, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
where's my table saw?

I will add a bottom cutting board ..

I tested the fit of the blade in the slot and it was pretty good, but I realized a through cut would have the blade cutting into the aluminum base. A thin, 1/8" layer of plywood will prevent and damage to either the base or the saw blade. It's on the list ......

I will also attach the base to a larger piece of 3/4" MDF so I can clamp it to my assembly table when it's in use. I have that same approach on a pattern maker's vise and a metal vise when I need to use them in the woodshop...... nothing is permanent.
amckenzie4 likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #3 of 12 Old 02-10-2020, 01:06 AM

View Kerrys's Photo Album My Photos
This looks like the same setup...
https://www.amazon.com/35-241-35-550...s%2C218&sr=8-2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 02-10-2020, 07:36 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I had one of those many, many years ago. Have no idea where it is now. If I remember correctly it was a nice little miter box/saw.

George
post #5 of 12 Old 02-10-2020, 09:40 AM
Mike

View Pretender's Photo Album My Photos
Have you checked the quality of the cuts?
Are they true 45*?
post #6 of 12 Old 02-10-2020, 10:47 AM

View Ron_J's Photo Album My Photos
It's always good to add to the toolbox.

Side note...if it's a pull saw, why does the guy in the pic have the piece he is cutting away from him?
woodnthings and TimPa like this.
post #7 of 12 Old 02-10-2020, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
where's my table saw?

I saw the same issue!

Probably because the photo is staged and the guy is some hired model OR it may just be a more illustrative angle of the operation .....

post #8 of 12 Old 02-10-2020, 01:01 PM

View RickKr's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_J View Post
...snip...
Side note...if it's a pull saw, why does the guy in the pic have the piece he is cutting away from him?
Nice catch!

I've had one of those, although a push stroke, since about 1980, originally purchased for balsa airplane building. Push stroke worked find for that. I also have some very fine metal (alum.) blades.

I like the notion of a pull stroke saw. But... Wait a minute...

It has a lip on the bottom for bracing against a workbench. Seems like someone just took the miter box from a push stroke type and substituted the pull stroke saw. Seems to me that would not work so very well. How is it working for you?

EDIT: Thinking on this a bit, I am reconsidering this about not working well. It would just be a matter of bracing the box against the bench during the pull stroke. Probably works fine. RK.

For small items, I have gone to one of these and photo below. Only use it for quick cuts where the angle isn't critical, although the vise does rotate up to 45. I had one from Horror Freight for years but it was kind of crappy. This one is not a lot better, but enough so that I am happy with it.

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MicroLux Mini Miter Saw.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	514.0 KB
ID:	384619  

"Quality is like buying oats. If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes a bit cheaper."

Last edited by RickKr; 02-10-2020 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Stated in the body.
post #9 of 12 Old 02-10-2020, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
where's my table saw?

Thumbs down push VS pull ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickKr View Post
Nice catch!

I've had one of those, although a push stroke, since about 1980, originally purchased for balsa airplane building. Push stroke worked find for that. I also have some very fine metal (alum.) blades.

I like the notion of a pull stroke saw. But... Wait a minute...

It has a lip on the bottom for bracing against a workbench. Seems like someone just took the miter box from a push stroke type and substituted the pull stroke saw. Seems to me that would not work so very well. How is it working for you?

EDIT: Thinking on this a bit, I am reconsidering this about not working well. It would just be a matter of bracing the box against the bench during the pull stroke. Probably works fine. RK.

For small items, I have gone to one of these and photo below. Only use it for quick cuts where the angle isn't critical, although the vise does rotate up to 45. I had one from Horror Freight for years but it was kind of crappy. This one is not a lot better, but enough so that I am happy with it.

Rick

I haven't tried it yet, but it has a lip on the bottom to grab the edge of the bench top. I mentioned above I will attach it to a large scrap so I can clamp it to the bench which may also get a catch lip. As you pull the saw toward you it will want to move and disengage from the catch lip.....unless it's clamped securely. That lip was probably designed for a push type saw from an earlier version .... I donno? This little miter box will be used to cut miters on small sections

of frames instead of dragging out a power miter saw. Truth be told, I have a nice vintage Craftsman push miter box with the frame style and a separate 24' X 1 1/4' blade. I was not impressed with how this worked the last time I tried it, but I'll give it another chance.

Kinda like this one:

There is also another Craftsman miter box that even older:

Those are not photos of my saw, but some I grabbed off the web. The efficiency of these tools are just not the same as power tools I own of course. Being easily able to shave off a 1/64" with the power saw is just not possible with the hand saw versions. So, you'd better have accurate measurements right out of the gate. Who know if this new smaller miter box will prove to be the answer ...... ?

Last edited by woodnthings; 02-10-2020 at 06:59 PM.
post #10 of 12 Old 02-14-2020, 12:41 AM

View Scurvy's Photo Album My Photos
I find the small box and the beautiful big “miter box” (that’s what I use) in your photo are ideal for cutting individual Dominos from the long bulk stock. The power tools are just too, too much for such small pieces.

That said, I agree that a SCMS our RAS make it possible to shave for tight fits.
post #11 of 12 Old 02-14-2020, 11:20 AM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
[quote=woodnthings;2095727]

Kinda like this one:

i've had this saw for many years, and think it is one of the best manual miter saws out there. you DO have to keep the blade and guide bar very clean so it slides smoothly for a clean cut

Last edited by TimPa; 02-14-2020 at 11:42 AM.
post #12 of 12 Old 02-14-2020, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
where's my table saw?

Yep, but it's not "quite" like mine......

[quote=TimPa;2096399]
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post

Kinda like this one:

That is kinda cool. I found the blade is so fine, it doesn't cut well enough for my needs. I may be just too impatient from using powered miter saws... I donno?

Mine is the same overall style, but a new version. I didn't have a photo in my computer, but I'll take one when I get up to the shop. Of course there's the old starting out el cheapo version, a woodsided box with kerfs for a back saw. Then there's another version with a single guide plate for a back saw. I'll shoot them all.....

Mine really don't get used because I don't make mitered stuff as a rule. If I were going to do many, I'd use my large table saw sled, or my DW708 sliding miter saw or the Bosch 4410 slider.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode