Shop vacs and large shavings - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 12-19-2016, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

View amckenzie4's Photo Album My Photos
Shop vacs and large shavings

Hey folks.

Over the last few weekends I've been working on tidying up my shop, and the shavings are driving me crazy. A broom works great for the larger shavings, but doesn't do much at all for dust and some of the smaller shavings. My shop vac, which only has a 1.25" hose, is great for dust, but can't pick up large shavings at all, and tends to pack the hose full of the smaller ones. So right now, my procedure is to sweep for the large and medium stuff, vacuum, then go back with a brush for the smaller shavings the shopvac can't handle.

I'm considering just building a cyclone-style separator with a 2.5" hose, and running it with the shop vac after a quick sweep for the largest shavings. Does anyone have:

A) A better suggestion,
B) A guess whether my shop vac (48CFM, according to the manual) will actually manage to run through the separator and larger hose, or
C) Any experience trying to pick up hand-tool waste with a separator, rather than power-tool dust?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-19-2016, 04:22 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I would doubt that any shop vac that only comes with a 1 1/4" hose is going to have the power to do what you want. You need to spring for a "full scale" vacuum. I hook my vacuum directly to the output of the planer. No problem with shaving size.

George
post #3 of 7 Old 12-19-2016, 06:02 PM

View Brian T.'s Photo Album My Photos
I use a broom and a snow shovel for all the large shavings, blocks and splinters from my wood carvings.
Maybe quarterly. Same for the fines left behind for the ShopVac. I'd do like GeorgeC if I had power tools producing shavings and dust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-19-2016, 06:09 PM
The Nut in the Cellar

View Jim Frye's Photo Album My Photos
You're gonna need a bigger boat (vac). I have a ShopVac rated at 95 cfm and it is adequate for all of my benchtop tools. It will collect the chips from my 13" planer, 10" drill press, oscillating spindle sander, and 6" jointer, as well as the table saw. I have 2 1/2", 1 1/4" and 1" hoses for dust/chip collection in my shop. The 1" hose is a Bosch super flexible 16 footer for use with various hand power tools. Also, I have two CleanStream washable filters for the unit, so I can swap them out for cleaning without having any downtime on the vac. I was going to build a 20 gallon separator for use with the vac, but after designing it and collecting the parts, I decided that my old shop (12'x12') didn't have the room for it. It was the same overall size as the vac and would have sat on a rolling cart with the vac. I still may build it now that my new shop is bigger than the old one.

Jim Frye
I've gone out to find myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.
"Sawdust is Man Glitter"
post #5 of 7 Old 12-20-2016, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

View amckenzie4's Photo Album My Photos
Yeah, I was afraid I was going to need a better vac. Oh well... at least I don't have to find space for a separator right now.

Thanks, all!
post #6 of 7 Old 12-20-2016, 01:42 PM

View JamesTinKS's Photo Album My Photos
I made my cyclone separator using the lid to the trash can I already had in my shop. It was never on the can and was just in the attic. When I need to separate like when planing or jointing a lot of wood I pull out the trash bag and put on the lid. I hook it up inline with the dust collector and plane away. When I'm done I dump the chips into a trash bag; put the original bag back in and put the lid back in the attic to wait for the next job.
The Following User Says Thank You to JamesTinKS For This Useful Post:
amckenzie4 (12-20-2016)
post #7 of 7 Old 12-22-2016, 10:21 AM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
My 10 gallon Shop Vac came with two hoses. I don't have any problem picking up large chips or shavings with the large hose. I only use the small hose to attach to the dust port on my shop saw. It is fastened with duct tape as a permanent attachment. I hook it up tot he large hose with the adapter. Yes, you need a bigger vacuum. Ask Santa for one.

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode