Sharpening hand saws - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 04-27-2017, 02:50 AM Thread Starter

View Greenheart's Photo Album My Photos
Sharpening hand saws

Can someone please tell me where I can buy a hand saw sharpening set. I need the files and the teeth set tool. My 50 year old tenon saw is in need of some care and attention. I have tried Ebay in USA, UK and Australia and nothing on them.
Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-27-2017, 04:30 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Nothing on Ebay? .... oh yes!

I found all sorts of sharpening tools on Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...tools&_sacat=0

the tooth setter:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...etter&_sacat=0

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #3 of 7 Old 04-27-2017, 02:49 PM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
Consider talking with someone in your local area that is in the tool sharpening business, as to their supply source. Be safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-10-2017, 02:41 PM

View WoodAddict's Photo Album My Photos
I suggest you go to a big wood store in your place, you will probably find the tools you need there.
Personally I don't do it myself, but I let the store staff do it for me.

Chop your own wood, and it will warm you twice.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-11-2017, 01:21 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
If it were me I would have it done. Saw sharpening is an art in itself and the experience helps. You might be able to do pretty good yourself but I think the professionals would do a lot better and probably remove less metal from the blade in the process.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-19-2017, 02:29 PM

View amckenzie4's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenheart View Post
Can someone please tell me where I can buy a hand saw sharpening set. I need the files and the teeth set tool. My 50 year old tenon saw is in need of some care and attention. I have tried Ebay in USA, UK and Australia and nothing on them.
Cheers
Starting on a relatively fine-toothed saw is a challenge, but it's not too bad. If you've got a handsaw with 2-8ppi, that's an easier place to start. That said:

The chart I use to pick a file size is here: http://norsewoodsmith.com/content/un...saw-file-sizes.

I'm not sure what country you're in, but Lee Valley sells a number of sizes, useful if you're in North America. In Europe, a quick search found me Dieter Schmid Fine Tools: I don't know anything about them, but their prices are in Euros, so I assume they're somewhere in Europe. Amazon has them too: just search under "taper saw file".

Amazon has a number of saw sets listed: I searched for "saw set tool".

I find hand-sharpening to be tedious, but not particularly difficult, at least on saws with a reasonable number of teeth per inch. Sharpening a dovetail saw that runs about 15tpi was truly frustrating. If you're going to have them done professionally, I recommend trying to find a place that does it by hand. The one saw I sent out for professional sharpening came back with oddly raked teeth and WAY too much set. It's more or less useable for rough cuts, but isn't actually much use in the shop.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-19-2017, 02:54 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
If it were me I would have it done. Saw sharpening is an art in itself and the experience helps. You might be able to do pretty good yourself but I think the professionals would do a lot better and probably remove less metal from the blade in the process.
I agree with above statement. Even the pros don't always do a great job. And some do much better than others.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode