Woodworking Talk banner

School me on draw knives

2K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  mavawreck 
#1 ·
Hello all,

Looking to add a few draw knives to my collection, or one good one. I'm interested in getting into traditional boat building, carving, and shaping.

Lots of them on ebay, some more expensive than others. Some looking a bit sweaty. Then there are the veritas offerings which seem pricey.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

#2 ·
veritas are pricy I have about 10 different ones here from different makers all about the same keep them sharp an all will do the job for you, remember there is different styles of draw knifes also an each has a different purpose

#4 ·
If it can be sharpened an still have meat on it should be good to go , what kind are you looking for I have several in the shop that I don't use

#5 ·
#10 ·
I use both spoke shaves and draw knives. They are as different as night is from day (up here in the winter, that's debatable.). I agree with Cabinetman = a drawknife is a wicked, aggressive tool and it takes a while to get the movements of skinning the bark off a log chunk.

Even if you have no appetite to buy anything from Magard, you can see what a variety of draw knives looks like.

#11 ·
I did a little thread on cleaning up a draw knife some time ago -

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f11/refurbish-old-draw-knife-44777/

Doesn't even begin to answer all of your questions but it may be worth looking at for encouragement on cleaning up the ones that you find.

Draw knife are very versatile - bark removal was more commonly done with a bark spud rather than a draw knife. Draw knives are probably more wide spread across wood disciplines than chisels as far as use.

#13 ·
Draw knife are very versatile - bark removal was more commonly done with a bark spud rather than a draw knife.
It may depend on how old or dry the log is, or your preference in tools. Some bark is just ready to fall off. You may get more leverage with a spud, but I would rather use a tool with two handles.:yes:

#12 ·
Firemedic: you don't suppose that a spud might be the best tool for hardwoods and a drawknife for conifers? Up here, conifer logs 12" - 18" are the most readily available for constructing log homes.
I see enough logs homes go up to watch that everyone straddles the logs and pulls with draw knives.
Need 200 logs? Sure. We can deliver that tomorrow.

#15 ·
I think a traditional pig sticker is the best tool for a mortice but how many still use that?

Draw knives are readily available - when was the last time you saw a new bark spud for sale?

It may depend on how old or dry the log is, or your preference in tools. Some bark is just ready to fall off. You may get more leverage with a spud, but I would rather use a tool with two handles.:yes:
It's more a matter of season it was felled. If you let a log "dry out" with the bark on you are more likely to have a bug eaten rotten log than a log with lose bark.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.