Woodworking Talk banner

Rescuing & restoring an old Jack Plane

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Paul Montgomery 
#1 ·
I found this plane recently and since I don't have jack plane I snapped it up (for free) and put it back in service again after it had languished around for many many years. Not sure the exact maker and age, and I'm sure it's impossible to get too accurate, but maybe someone here can help zero in on it a little more.

#2 ·
Your blade sharpening efforts appeared to turn out very nice. The video didn't mention or show it, so I'm wondering if you also flattened the other side of the cutting iron near the cutting edge. I'm thinking of the practice of making both sides of the cutting edge flat ... similar to sharpening chisels.

#5 ·
Really nice job. That one looked like it was in pretty rough shape. I've tuned up about a half-dozen planes since COVID, trying to get a good working range of bench planes. I've got #'s 3 - 6 in great shape now, and I might do a #7 if I find one in good enough shape and cheap enough. None of mine were as bad off as that one, but I've pretty much sworn off restoring old planes anymore. That's a lot of work!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.