"Red Tool Box" kid tools at lowes - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 11-04-2010, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Wood Fan... But a noob

View serpentine5's Photo Album My Photos
"Red Tool Box" kid tools at lowes

I take my oldest son (5yo) with me almost every time I go to the "Daddy Stores" and we came across a section at Lowes with tools and projects for kids. Everything from a pine wood derby type car to mini golf type things. They are all branded Red Tool Box. I was wondering if any of you have bought these things for their kids to make and play with. Thought it would be nice to get since my son is always watching me do projects around the house here and wanting to help out, but for safety reasons I will not allow him to. I am thinking the 20 dollar set of tools they sell would be nice, it includes a 6 inch metal ruler, a small tape measure, a short handled hammer, a phillips and straight screw driver, a plastic C clamp, a tool belt, a flat/rounded file, a pair of goggles and a saw. All real tools. What do you all think? Get him started on the ready made kit projects and move from there, once he learns proper safety and such, to real projects on Daddys tools.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-04-2010, 01:18 PM
No Longer Here

View frankp's Photo Album My Photos
I've personally never understood the concern with teaching children to use tools... I do understand that "tools for kids" fit their hands better, though, so there is something to be said for that. I would never buy mine plastic tools of any kind, but as part of a kit with other working, non-plastic, tools, go for it.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-04-2010, 02:03 PM

View Longknife's Photo Album My Photos
I got my first knife when I was around 5, I bought my son his first at the same age and all my grandchildren have been taught how to use knifes and other tools from the same age. We all have 10 fingers.
I strongly dislike "toy tools". A lot of real tools are avilable in sizes that will fit a kids hand. If you give your kid a flimsy, dull saw he will never learn how to use it and will be more likely to hurt himself than with a real saw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 11-04-2010, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Wood Fan... But a noob

View serpentine5's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longknife View Post
I got my first knife when I was around 5, I bought my son his first at the same age and all my grandchildren have been taught how to use knifes and other tools from the same age. We all have 10 fingers.
I strongly dislike "toy tools". A lot of real tools are avilable in sizes that will fit a kids hand. If you give your kid a flimsy, dull saw he will never learn how to use it and will be more likely to hurt himself than with a real saw.
My thoughts exactly, thats why I wanted to get him some real tools that are made for his little hands. He can learn how to properly identify and use each of them and the do's and dont's of each. His little brother has some plastic tools, and whenever I am working on something around the house, he gets them out (he is 2yo) and bangs on everything with the hammer including himself... so in this aspect, I am glad they are just plastic, but at the same time, they do not teach him to respect and use them properly.

As for a knife... I think I will wait a year or two longer... I think I was around 8 when I was given my first knife, but I was not allowed to keep it, it was mine, but was kept in my parents bedroom where I could not get to it...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode