recommendations to sharpen planes/chisels - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By sgcz75b
  • 2 Post By _Ogre
  • 1 Post By sgcz75b

post #1 of 6 Old 04-05-2019, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

View PA WOODCHUCK's Photo Album My Photos
recommendations to sharpen planes/chisels

I'm a rookie... that said need recommendations of what's needed. I inherited some old planes and chisels and would like to bring back so I can use them. Blades look good and without nicks.

thanks

Retired VW Tech, performance boats until 9/17 STROKE! Now making sawdust to keep busy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-05-2019, 08:46 AM
Beware of purists

View sgcz75b's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA WOODCHUCK View Post
I'm a rookie... that said need recommendations of what's needed. I inherited some old planes and chisels and would like to bring back so I can use them. Blades look good and without nicks.

thanks
On Youtube you can learn more about sharpening your planes and chisel in one hour than a year on a forum.

Go to Youtube, search for Rob Cosman and Paul Sellers adding the term "sharpening chisels" to your search. These guys are masters and will show you and explain what and why they do it their way.

Sharpening tools, unfortunately, is seen as a mystical and magical procedure, most often by people who have no idea of what they're doing or why.

Study Rob and Paul's methods. They work, are proven, and will save you money from buying the "latest and greatest" jigs.

Sharpening is not difficult. It only requires knowledge of what an edge is and how best to get it.
Tool Agnostic likes this.

Remember - You're not a "real" woodworker unless you do exactly as another woodworker says you must do to be a "real" woodworker. It's called "The True Woodworker Fallacy."
post #3 of 6 Old 04-05-2019, 01:45 PM

View _Ogre's Photo Album My Photos
i never had a sharp chisel until i bought one of these simple honing guides off amazon for $15
i don't care if you use stones, sandpaper or harbor fright diamond plates, i can't hold the angle without a guide
i use harbor fright diamond plates, they're $9, though i'd like a finer plate too

Tool Agnostic and Red5hft like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-05-2019, 04:30 PM

View Eddyzero's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
i never had a sharp chisel until i bought one of these simple honing guides off amazon for $15
i don't care if you use stones, sandpaper or harbor fright diamond plates, i can't hold the angle without a guide
i use harbor fright diamond plates, they're $9, though i'd like a finer plate too

+1
post #5 of 6 Old 04-05-2019, 05:51 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
* The real trick is flattening the backs of your blades. In my opinion, that is where the challenge lies. If you can do that, then putting a bevel on your chisel should be easy.

* Once you have a nice sharp chisel with a flat back, it will get dull and need attention. You should not need to flatten the back again, hopefully not for a very very long time.
-> In this case, the problem is setting the bevel angle in a repeatable manner. Even the slightest difference between then and now, and you find yourself starting a new bevel. You need an answer to that. You can make or buy jigs to set your bevel angle(s) accurately and get really good at using them or you can use micro-bevels. It is a personal choice.

After struggling with making jigs that yielded inconsistent results, I invested in the Veritas Deluxe Honing Guide set. It has two nice honing guides for wide plane blades and narrow chisels. The trick is the angle setting tool, which yields very consistent results after a little practice.

There are other quality honing guides and setting jigs, so do some research and shop around.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-05-2019, 07:39 PM
Beware of purists

View sgcz75b's Photo Album My Photos
If you're going to use jigs, the Eclipse style, the Veritas, and a few others that work in the same fashion, are the way to go. But once you understand how and why those simple jigs work, you might want to try without them.

But the hocus-pocus rods, sharpening sticks, and the various other convoluted contraptions, most all of which revolve around the "brand system" are designed to cut your wallet open and bleed money.

Prehistoric peoples learned to knapp flint and obsidean and get a sharpness that worked. Why? They knew about getting edges.

Had they fell prey to the sharpening con-men of today, humanity would have died out 100,000 years ago.
Red5hft likes this.

Remember - You're not a "real" woodworker unless you do exactly as another woodworker says you must do to be a "real" woodworker. It's called "The True Woodworker Fallacy."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode