Quick Release Vise - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 04-10-2015, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
t4d

View t4d's Photo Album My Photos
Quick Release Vise

On my bench, I've been using a home-made front vise made from a 3/4 inch pipe clamp, but have become dissatisfied lately due to racking and instability. Am now considering buying a proper vise, but would like some pointers, please.

I want the vise to be quick release, but there seem to be a couple different quick release designs:
  • a lever on the front jaw to disengage, or
  • a mechanism to do quick release when the handle is turned counter-clockwise (some use a quarter turn counter-clockwise, whereas some use 2 full turns counter-clockwise)
  • Need some pointers about the pros & cons of the quick release mechanisms.
Also, it seems the 7 inch vises are about $30 - $40 cheaper than the 9 inch vises..........is it worth paying for the extra width?

And finally, some of the vises use a wooden handle that looks to be about 1 inch diameter, whereas some use a thinner metal handle.......what are the pros & cons concerning the handle?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-11-2015, 02:48 PM

View fareastern's Photo Album My Photos
Look out for a Record 52 1/2 with quick release.You won't regret owning one and the cost will soon be forgotten if you do more than half a dozen projects.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-11-2015, 02:59 PM

View mengtian's Photo Album My Photos
What is the advantage to a quick release vise?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-11-2015, 05:10 PM

View fareastern's Photo Album My Photos
Its not the quick release thats the advantage,it really gains when you need to switch from a large opening to a small opening-as you might when planing a 5X1 on the face and then the edge.Its just so much faster than winding a handle.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-11-2015, 07:49 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Buy this now!

This is a great woodworking vise:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-CRAFTSMAN-...item2edbcc8049

I have 2, one on each end of my bench. The quick release is worth it's weight in.... well.... sawdust? I love them, got the second one at a flea market for $50.00, like new ...stole it.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #6 of 8 Old 04-24-2015, 04:13 PM

View amckenzie4's Photo Album My Photos
Depending on your bench, you also might think about a leg vise. I bought a screw from WoodCraft, and cut the chop out of a 2x6. It's not especially attractive, but it holds on like crazy. I would advocate for making your chop out of harder wood, since mine bows alarmingly sometimes, but it still works well.

There are a bunch of ways to stop the bottom... There's an article somewhere in my blog (http://cheapsawdust.blogspot.com) about my bench that has some ideas on that.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-24-2015, 04:36 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mengtian View Post
What is the advantage to a quick release vise?
A quick release vise has a lever you can disengage the threads and just pull the vice out to the size you need. It just saves a lot of time opening and closing a vise instead of having to crank the handle around 50 times to achieve this. I have one on a craftsman vise but sometimes it doesn't work so great. It's hard to get it to disengage.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-24-2015, 07:42 PM

View mengtian's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
A quick release vise has a lever you can disengage the threads and just pull the vice out to the size you need. It just saves a lot of time opening and closing a vise instead of having to crank the handle around 50 times to achieve this. I have one on a craftsman vise but sometimes it doesn't work so great. It's hard to get it to disengage.
I usually have the time to crank the handle LOL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode