Questions on Stanley #4 type 13 - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By umanuma
  • 1 Post By Tool Agnostic

post #1 of 5 Old 03-28-2019, 05:46 AM Thread Starter

View umanuma's Photo Album My Photos
Questions on Stanley #4 type 13

Hello!

Recently I found an ad with Stanley plane, and as I researched it is #4 of type 13. I should mention that it is very rare tool in my region, as any old Stanley.

I asked for pictures of an item, and here is two of them. The sole has two major tear-outs. Besides, the tote seems to be chipped on the top (though it is not a big deal), and adjustment lever is bent down a little.

So here is the questions.

1) Does it cost a $25 being asked for it?
2) As I assume, restoring mainly will consist of replacing the sole. How hard is to find the new sole of type 13 on Ebay? I've searched already, found one (for $36), but is it a big luck or is it available any time for a reasonable price?
3) Is it worth to deal with it after all?

And extra one. Would it work as a plane in current condition? I mean that the front of the mouth seems intact and the frog on the smoothers happen to be moved forward to reduce the mouth, thus moving the iron away from the rear side of the mouth.

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stanley4-t13-sole-01.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	570.1 KB
ID:	373663  

Click image for larger version

Name:	stanley4-t13-sole-02.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	296.4 KB
ID:	373665  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-28-2019, 07:56 AM
Be Nice

View JohnTC's Photo Album My Photos
I would not buy it. It is not usable. Is there any reason you can't get one off of ebay? What is your budget? Are you committed to Stanleys or will you consider other brands such as Millers Falls, Craftsman, or Sargent? What do you want to be able to do with it?

"The kind of man who wants the government to adopt and enforce his ideas is always the kind of man whose ideas are idiotic." -H.L. Mencken
post #3 of 5 Old 03-28-2019, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

View umanuma's Photo Album My Photos
Thank you for response! All my doubts are based on the rarity of Stanley planes (as like the other you mentioned) here in Russia. If it was soviet Voskov plane in this condition, I'd just passed by and didn't even think of restoring it.

I wanted to restore it to workable condition and use as it supposed to. It is sad, that this plane is for sale in small town in neighboring country, there are not much buyers of this kind of stuff. Thus it can be just thrown away in trash (and once again it is not something like you can buy in a local tool store, you know). At least I considered to buy it for spare parts for future planes from ebay.

There are no problems with ebay in general. Except shipping, that could be very expensive, even more than the plane itself.
JohnTC likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 03-28-2019, 11:46 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Despite its rarity, this Stanley hand plane is worn out and used up. Whoever owned and used it got their value from it. There is nothing left.

The soul of a hand plane is its sole. The rest are parts that attach. Those parts can be swapped around between planes, but the sole is the part that IS the hand plane. If you buy a replacement sole, you are buying another plane. That's okay, but you will have two planes, and will be restoring the second one, maybe with parts from the Stanley plane that you posted here.

I don't know much about metalworking. I do not know if it is possible to attach more metal and sand it down to flat. I have seen people do amazing things when they decide to do it, but my experience with hand planes tells me that this idea is a bad one. I don't think it would work, but I don't have enough experience to know it.

You said that you want to use the hand plane after you restore it. I worry that after all the hard work of restoration (even if it is possible?), the hand plane won't work well at all, and you may never know why. That's the honest truth.

If you are looking for a good hand plane to use for real woodworking, perhaps a different one would be a better choice, even if it is less collectable than the Stanley hand plane that you found. The shavings will never know which plane was used to cut them off. :-)

I never thought I would say this, but if you want that Stanley, give it a nice retirement: Buy it, clean it up, shine it up, wax it for protection, and then proudly display it on a shelf for decoration in your shop. Use a different hand plane for woodworking.
gmercer_48083 likes this.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-28-2019, 12:09 PM

View gmercer_48083's Photo Album My Photos
umanuma, That Stanley plane could still be made to work because the frog is what supports the blade. I say this because the broken area of the sole is behind the blade and not in front of the blade where support is important. If you flattened the sole by sanding on a flat surface from front to back it should still work. The important part would be that the contact area between the frog and the sole must not be damaged for this to work. A plane in that condition may not be ideal for rough sawn lumber due to splinters catching into the broken out area, but it would certainly work to smooth machined lumber if you tune the plane. Looking at the overall condition of that plane it would not be worth much here in USA, but since they are so rare in Russia it may be worth a look.

Gary

Last edited by gmercer_48083; 03-28-2019 at 12:14 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode