Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Near Boston, Massachusetts
Well, it used up almost three hours, a lot of sandpaper, a lot of oil, and most of my patience, but both planes now work; the Craftsman acceptably, the Siegley quite well. For the moment the metal one has a light coating of gun oil, but I'll replace it with something that won't damage wood as soon as possible. I'll put up before and after pictures of the metal one Monday -- I forgot to bring my flash card reader home with me yesterday.
The Craftsman was definitely not flat when I started -- I went through about 7-8 rounds with 60 grit sandpaper before the sharpie marks wore away evenly across the sole. The vertical parts of the sides still aren't perfect, but I don't really care. From the 60, I went on with what I had -- 100, 220, 320, and 400. In an ideal world I'd have 600 as well, but I don't, so I'll settle for the finish I have.
The Siegley turned out to need more work than I thought: the dial that's supposed to move the blade forward an back was solidly rusted in place. It's a brass knob, but on a steel threaded rod, which had locked up. I ended up pulling the whole assembly, putting quite a bit of WD40 on it, waiting, and then using slip-lock pliers (greatest sub-$5 tool I ever bought!) to get it moving. Once it was, I cleaned off what I could of the rust, and coated it with chain lube. If it keeps my motorcycle chain moving through the abuse it gets, it ought to keep this moving. 8-) It now turns effortlessly, and as a bonus, taking the assembly apart gave me a chance to clean and lube all the other moving parts.
Both blades got sharpened with the same progression of sand papers as the Craftsman body. That's also where my supply of patience went -- keeping the blades at the right angle while moving them over the paper, and keeping myself from moving too fast to watch the angle. The Craftsman blade still shows where it was nicked, but it's a LOT smoother now.
Thanks to everyone who offered advice!