Old Stanley Bench Planes - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 10-02-2011, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

View Wrangler's Photo Album My Photos
Old Stanley Bench Planes

I have several old Stanley bench planes and have made a few observations. I wonder if anyone agrees with me.

I have a #5 Bailey (early 1900's) and a #605 Bed Rock. Except for being able to adjust the throat without removing the frog; I don't see an advantage. I will not pay another premium for a Bed Rock.

I have a #4 1/2 C (Grooved sole). I think Stanley missed on this one and find that; given a good wax job, the plain sole slides more easily. With out wax; it is a wash.

Has anyone else made similar observations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-02-2011, 09:29 PM

View Brink's Photo Album My Photos
I'm right there with ya'. I will take my old stanleys, and one Baily, with a Hock blade and chip breaker over any thing.

I have one with a corrugated sole. I never saw the advantage, if any. Supposedly, they push with less friction. I think marketers came up with a new sole so folks would upgrade. Maybe on wet wood they work better, but then, why plane wet wood?
post #3 of 9 Old 10-02-2011, 09:42 PM

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
I've only had one Bedrock and never thought there was enough physical difference to justify the cost difference. There are more adjustments on the Bedrock, and I think there might be a little more machining to the frog, but the price difference is out of whack IMHO.

I bought my Bedrock 605 for $6 ...it's was really rough. I refurbed it, sold it for $85 (probably could have gotten more than $100), and with the proceeds I bought a Record 05-1/2 that I wanted....the Bedrock was nice, but the Record is one of my favorites... no regrets. (FWIW, I think the Bailey's and Record's from earlier eras are extremely similar...I just like the blue)

This:

To this:

To this:

Last edited by knotscott; 10-02-2011 at 09:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 10-02-2011, 10:33 PM
In History is the Future

View firemedic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brink
I'm right there with ya'. I will take my old stanleys, and one Baily, with a Hock blade and chip breaker over any thing.

I have one with a corrugated sole. I never saw the advantage, if any. Supposedly, they push with less friction. I think marketers came up with a new sole so folks would upgrade. Maybe on wet wood they work better, but then, why plane wet wood?
I prefer corrugated soled planes for one simple reason... Less work to flatten when I find em for sale here n there.

~tom ...it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt...
post #5 of 9 Old 10-02-2011, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Nice job of cleaning up the Bed Rock! I bought the one I have from a collector near Kansas City. It was in restored condition and I paid near $100 for it. The #5 Stanley Bailey, I found at an Antique Store here in Minnesota. I paid $25 for it and even with the purchase of a Hock Iron, I am ahead. When they are sharp they perform the same. I use one until dull then grab the other.

I most recently found a Montgomery Wards #7 the iron in that thing is laminated and near 1/4" thick. It has become my favorite plane. Get that big hunk of iron moving and it sails down the board.
post #6 of 9 Old 10-02-2011, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Tom, I agree with you totally. However, I have been lucky in that I have never had to flatten any of the Stanley planes that I have bought.
post #7 of 9 Old 10-03-2011, 08:07 AM
In History is the Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangler
Tom, I agree with you totally. However, I have been lucky in that I have never had to flatten any of the Stanley planes that I have bought.
??? Have you lapped the soles?

~tom ...it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt...
post #8 of 9 Old 10-03-2011, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Yes, I scribbled on them with Sharpy then took them over my sand paper covered plate glass.

The only planes that I have had to do any work on were my Stanley 60 1/2 Block plane that I bought when I was a teenager (another antique) and my Columbus Tool Company transition plane that I use as a Scrub.
post #9 of 9 Old 10-03-2011, 02:34 PM
In History is the Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangler
Yes, I scribbled on them with Sharpy then took them over my sand paper covered plate glass.

The only planes that I have had to do any work on were my Stanley 60 1/2 Block plane that I bought when I was a teenager (another antique) and my Columbus Tool Company transition plane that I use as a Scrub.
Well... You got better luck than I do... Worst one I had to fix was a Bailey!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode