Need help finding hand planes. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 02-04-2013, 12:53 AM Thread Starter

View lttoler's Photo Album My Photos
Need help finding hand planes.

I am pretty new to wood working. My family has much electric equipment but I have always preferred to use my hands. I work with small boards about 4-5 ft long and am interested in making small instruments and guitars.

Could anyone point me to a good place to get some hand planes and what brands I should be looking for?

Thanks very much in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-04-2013, 07:03 AM
ACP

View ACP's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome! This is a can of worms question for sure. To answer I think we need to know more. Where are you, what do you sharpen with, what's your budget, are you looking for new or vintage? These are a few to start. I can recommend Lie-Nielsen, Veritas, Woodriver, and vintage. (Wait...I think that is most of them). Avoid Groz, Anant, Anant Kamal, Footprint, modern Stanleys to name a few.

I personally have Woodrivers, vintage Stanley's and Veritas planes. I prefer the Veritas for the value to quality ratio. I love all my planes though.

Give us some more and you'll get a wealth of knowledge from the folks here. Again, welcome!
post #3 of 8 Old 02-04-2013, 07:52 AM

View timetestedtools's Photo Album My Photos
I started restoring hand planes a few years ago as a way to find a reason not to hate antiquing when my wife would drag me. I found I enjoyed finding and restoring them I just kept doing it. Sooner or later I had so many I didn't have a place for them. http://timetestedtools.wordpress.com/tools-for-sale/

As for what you need, it really depends on how you work. Here is some advice on bench planes, https://timetestedtools.wordpress.co...nes-do-i-need/, but it doesn't go into block planes, shoulder planes and the endless number of other specialty plane there are. The best thing is to figure out what you want to do specifically with hand planes, then find what type of plane does it.

If you don't mind restoring a few on your own, there is plenty of help available (i've got a couple blogs on the process) and you can get some really good quality for a small amount of money.

If you want something ready to go, find some vintage planes already restored, or go with Lie-Nielsen or Lee Valley.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 02-04-2013, 09:20 AM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
You have the recommended brands in ACP's reply.

I would recommend a trip to your local library and see what books they have.

One which has been recommended in other threads with similar questions is
The Handplane Book by Garrett Hack.

Once you have an understanding of the different designs of hand planes, you can begin to find out which ones to start with.

Some musical instrument planes are highly specialized and some very small.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-04-2013, 10:18 AM

View timetestedtools's Photo Album My Photos
+1 on the The Handplane Book by Garrett Hack. The pictures alone are worth the cost. The info is invaluable.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-04-2013, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

View lttoler's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for all the responses. I will try to find a copy of that book. I am located in South Georgia and do my work on the family farm.

As far as new or vintage I don't know enough about them to decide yet. I started finishing guitars in lacquer and oil finishes for me and my friends a few years ago and this past year I built my first guitar. The downside for me right now is that I have to get someone else to flatten and square my boards and I would prefer to be able to do this myself without the use of power tools.

The rest of my work I use a saw and a router.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-05-2013, 11:07 AM

View flip18436572's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by lttoler View Post
Thanks for all the responses. I will try to find a copy of that book. I am located in South Georgia and do my work on the family farm.

As far as new or vintage I don't know enough about them to decide yet. I started finishing guitars in lacquer and oil finishes for me and my friends a few years ago and this past year I built my first guitar. The downside for me right now is that I have to get someone else to flatten and square my boards and I would prefer to be able to do this myself without the use of power tools.

Do you have any training of being luthier? Making great sounding acoustic guitars, basses, fiddles, ect... takes a lot of work and experience. Did you build your own jigs and clamping fixtures to hold everything in place? Great job of doing your own.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-05-2013, 03:01 PM

View EricD's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by lttoler View Post
...The downside for me right now is that I have to get someone else to flatten and square my boards and I would prefer to be able to do this myself without the use of power tools.

Welcome! Very cool that you make your own instruments. I had trouble flatting boards because I underestimated the need for the wood to be held in place. I added a proper workbench w/vises to my list of tools and now I'm able to use handplanes much more effectively.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode