need help cutting wine corks - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Toolman50
  • 1 Post By Steve Neul
  • 1 Post By holtzdreher

post #1 of 14 Old 10-30-2017, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

View lpmark's Photo Album My Photos
need help cutting wine corks

I need suggestions on splitting wine corks. I'm talking the easiest and fastest way to split them lenghtwise in half.....and not a few----thousands.........looking forward to your ideas !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-30-2017, 09:39 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
That many I think I would find a cork manufacturer and see if they can make them for you.
post #3 of 14 Old 10-30-2017, 10:30 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
First let me tell you Iíve never split a cork. But if I had 1000ís to split, I would make me a jig using part wood and part PVC pipe. I would align the pipe (slightly larger than the diameter of the cork) directly in line with my bandsaw blade, fill the little pipe with ten corks or more and push them through the blade with a dowel. I think you could cut about 100 per minute. Take only an hour for approximately six thousand.
Better check my math.
Kerrys likes this.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 10-31-2017, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

View lpmark's Photo Album My Photos
I thought about a pvc jig, but I use used wine corks and they vary slightly in size and shape, plus I need to cut them so that the label is showing...........running them through a pipe jig will work if they were unlabeled..........I know I still have to cut them one at a time.........just looking for a faster way...........I'm using a tabletop scroll saw and it goes relatively quick right now, but looking for some other options
post #5 of 14 Old 10-31-2017, 07:12 AM

View Cowboy18's Photo Album My Photos
I'd put a drop of super glue on the ends, with them all rotated label up. Maybe make ropes of ten at a time. Draw me a line down the length of them where I want to make my cut. If it works well I might make ropes of twenty. I recon you would need to cut them at each joint after you split them. Of course depending on you're end purpose, it may not be necessary to separate them at the joints after the initial cut.

"Error of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it"

Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Cowboy18; 10-31-2017 at 07:16 AM.
post #6 of 14 Old 10-31-2017, 10:52 AM

View Maylar's Photo Album My Photos
I'm trying to think of a ready made slicer but coming up empty. I figure there has to be some kitchen gadget that would do that.

Or, you could build a guillotine sort of fixture with a knife blade or plane iron as a cutter.

Dave in CT, USA
post #7 of 14 Old 10-31-2017, 05:35 PM

View amckenzie4's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maylar View Post
I'm trying to think of a ready made slicer but coming up empty. I figure there has to be some kitchen gadget that would do that.

Or, you could build a guillotine sort of fixture with a knife blade or plane iron as a cutter.
Maybe one of those miter trimming rigs? They're pretty pricey, though.

If I were going to build something I'd start with a bandsaw, I think. Make something like a pair of tongs that you can grab the cork with, and a guide to keep it pretty close to centered. Grab a cork in the right orientation with the tongs, use the tongs to push it through the blade, repeat. It's going to be a long boring process no matter what you do.

I do like the PVC pipe idea. Maybe cut one in half to make a "chute", so you can use a push stick to move them through the blade?
post #8 of 14 Old 10-31-2017, 05:45 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Cutting cork with a bandsaw I think you will need a blade that instead of having teeth the edge is sharpened to a razor edge. I think a normal blade will be tearing chunks out of the cork, especially if you get in a hurry. I'm not sure where you could get such a blade. I worked for a company onetime that made foam rubber parts and the bandsaw they used had a blade like that.
GuitarPhotographer likes this.
post #9 of 14 Old 11-01-2017, 03:06 AM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Check Ebay, they are available already cut, unless you are getting the whole corks at a really good price so it would be worth while to do it yourself.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #10 of 14 Old 11-01-2017, 08:37 AM

View holtzdreher's Photo Album My Photos
A v=block made of wood. Machinists use metal v-blocks to hold round materials under a drill press. Make one of wood, it is easy enough. Then a blade on a hinge to hit center of the v-block. Corks of different sizes will center as long as they are cylindrical. Perhaps even a v-block centered in one of those cheap miter boxes and use the 90 degree slots to slide a large knife back and forth to cut the corks. Not sure how easy it is to cut corks. I know there are natural one piece corks, corks made of small pieces of cork glued together and some synthetic plastic cork substitutes. I shoot some corks out of my salute gun. It makes a heck of a racket with cork.

My wife is the wine drinker, not me. When she gets a yearning for wine, I always make sure I get a really good box of wine.
Cowboy18 likes this.
post #11 of 14 Old 11-01-2017, 09:32 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
all wine corks are not made from cork

I'm not a big drinker here. I only drink when I'm alone or with someone.
I used to collect "corks" from wine bottles and at some point they switched to a composite, plastic sorta stuff rather than cork.

I don't know how this stiff cuts or if it is desirable, so that's another factor. I you are using real cork it will cut differently than the synthectic cork.

Your material may work better sliced than sawn, .... I donno? Check into it and let us know.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #12 of 14 Old 11-01-2017, 01:42 PM

View TomCT2's Photo Album My Photos
couple of interesting techniques
also note in many videos the tip of wetting/steaming the corks. not sure if that would help using power tools tho.

here's a jig - quick and visual orientation. methinks you could simplify the pin holder making . . .
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...0E16&FORM=VIRE

another speedy one
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...A082&FORM=VIRE

this is fast, but orientation will be an issue
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...494A&FORM=VIRE
The Following User Says Thank You to TomCT2 For This Useful Post:
lpmark (11-03-2017)
post #13 of 14 Old 11-01-2017, 04:23 PM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
I'd be pur-ty drunk and could care less about cutting any corks! J/K
post #14 of 14 Old 11-04-2017, 03:48 PM

View ducbsa's Photo Album My Photos
Here is what I use, but not for 1000's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cork jig a.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	323170  

Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode