"must" have hand planes - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 10Likes

post #1 of 25 Old 04-12-2019, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

View Rhaugle's Photo Album My Photos
"must" have hand planes

Hi guys.. birthday is coming up in a couple months and im wondering which hand plane to put on my list. For a long time I was set on the veritas LA jack, but not sure anymore...

I currently have a 1950s Stanley no.4, a newer (cheap, plastic handle) no.5, a 1925-28 Stanley no.7 (still a rust bucket, bought at an auction and I need to clean still), an unknown maker sized between the Stanley 4 &5, and a Kobalt block plane.

I do not have a rabbit plane. As I said before, I was set on the LA Jack, but now thinking maybe a rabbit block plane?

Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 04-12-2019, 08:15 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
It would help to know what kind of woodworking that you do. Unless you are just collecting planes.

George
AmishElectricCo likes this.
post #3 of 25 Old 04-12-2019, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
It would help to know what kind of woodworking that you do. Unless you are just collecting planes.

George
Right now I am a hybrid worker.. I use hand tools and power tools. Say for dados.. I'll cut with a dado stack, and clean up with a chisel (no rabbit plane). I enjoy cutting dove tail by hand. I'm a mix of the two styles.

I would eventually like to use more hand tools, but that's many years away. I have a 6" jointer and 13" planer, so anything larger than that, gets hand planed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 04-12-2019, 09:55 AM

View gmercer_48083's Photo Album My Photos
Rhaugle, I would suggest a router plane, which works well for accurate tenon sizing. When considering a rebate plane...think about the width. A wide rebate plane may not fit into a narrower dado. I have made several hand planes, and with each have used a router plane in the making of them.
JohnTC likes this.

Gary
post #5 of 25 Old 04-12-2019, 09:56 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
OK, that tells us about the tools that you have. What type of woodworking/projects do you build? Tell us something that will give us a knowledge of what type of tools you need.

George
post #6 of 25 Old 04-12-2019, 10:06 AM
Beware of purists

View sgcz75b's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhaugle View Post

I do not have a rabbit plane. As I said before, I was set on the LA Jack, but now thinking maybe a rabbit block plane?

Suggestions?

Try the Twin engine rabbit plane sold by E. Fudd.
Attached Images

"Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity." Hanlon's Razor

Last edited by sgcz75b; 04-12-2019 at 10:18 AM.
post #7 of 25 Old 04-12-2019, 10:51 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Catch a rabbett plane ....

Quote:
Hi guys.. birthday is coming up in a couple months and im wondering which hand plane to put on my list. For a long time I was set on the veritas LA jack, but not sure anymore...

I currently have a 1950s Stanley no.4, a newer (cheap, plastic handle) no.5, a 1925-28 Stanley no.7 (still a rust bucket, bought at an auction and I need to clean still), an unknown maker sized between the Stanley 4 &5, and a Kobalt block plane.

Suggestions?

I would recommend almost any one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=rabbett+p...f=nb_sb_noss_2

I own several of those listed here, the Stanley 78, a bull nose or shoulder plane, even the router plane with a 1/2" blade. You build your collection based on basic types for the basic operations, then branch out into different sizes. I got some nice vintage planes off Ebay, a few others I bought new. It made no difference in performance.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #8 of 25 Old 04-12-2019, 11:38 AM

View gmercer_48083's Photo Album My Photos
Woodnthings, That's quite a collection!

Gary
post #9 of 25 Old 04-12-2019, 12:18 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Yup, and not used that often any longer ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmercer_48083 View Post
Woodnthings, That's quite a collection!

And I have a few more in stages of restoration that aren't up there yet. Better get off the recliner and get with it!

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #10 of 25 Old 04-12-2019, 12:35 PM

View gj13us's Photo Album My Photos
Go for the rabbet plane. What you have already is plenty enough for regular planing.
post #11 of 25 Old 04-12-2019, 06:49 PM
Timber Wright-Guide

View Jay C. White Cloud's Photo Album My Photos
Hi Rhaugle,

I'm with George...what style of woodworking do you enjoy...

As to "what plane" I can't even recommend a "rabbet" since there are several type that may fit your needs better than other...

I have a 12" Carriage Plane that does a fantastic job of rabbet work on timber frames...but my Vertias and block Rabbet are also great tools...It all depends on what you do the most of?

Good Luck either way and post pictures when you have time of what you get and have in your collection...

j

Tosa Tomo Designs
Confucius (551 BCE): "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand..." "...Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance..." Socrates:I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only help them think..."
Stephen Covey:"Seek to understand, before seeking to be understood..."
post #12 of 25 Old 04-13-2019, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

My current collection... Left to right... Stanley no 7, Stanley no 5, mystery plane (can't find a single marking), Stanley no 4, Kobalt block plane
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15551295469297162997399993260258_1555129558701.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	420.3 KB
ID:	374253  

post #13 of 25 Old 04-13-2019, 09:22 AM
Timber Wright-Guide

View Jay C. White Cloud's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
My current collection... Left to right... Stanley no 7, Stanley no 5, mystery plane (can't find a single marking), Stanley no 4, Kobalt block plane
Very good start...

My "gut" (without know your specific interests in woodworking) is a Shouldered Rabbeting Plane...

My reasoning is a Rabbeting Block Plane is a close second and great plane to have in general, however it won't do what a Should version can do...but...even though larger, a Should Plane can do what the Block can't...

The large Carriage Rabbeting Plane is (most likely?) outside the context of any work you would do unless getting into Timber Framing and/or large folk style furniture forms like heavy Harvest/Farm Tables, Kaas/Armoire, Panel Chair, etc...

Good Luck,

j

Tosa Tomo Designs
Confucius (551 BCE): "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand..." "...Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance..." Socrates:I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only help them think..."
Stephen Covey:"Seek to understand, before seeking to be understood..."
post #14 of 25 Old 04-13-2019, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

I eventually want to get into more traditional joints... Bread boards take ends, through mortices/ tenons and that stuff.
Jay C. White Cloud likes this.
post #15 of 25 Old 04-13-2019, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
OK, that tells us about the tools that you have. What type of woodworking/projects do you build? Tell us something that will give us a knowledge of what type of tools you need.

George
Post above has my goals with woodworking.. getting into more traditional joints...

My question now... Looking at the no7, it looks pretty rough. If I can't get it cleaned up to a usable condition, do I need to stick with the LA Jack? I was starting to lean towards the rabbet block until I looked at the no 7 again...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190412_232556_1555165290709.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	420.3 KB
ID:	374257  

post #16 of 25 Old 04-13-2019, 01:54 PM
Be Nice

View JohnTC's Photo Album My Photos
Do you have any other pictures of the "mystery" plane from the side and back as well as the plane disassembled showing the tops and bottoms of the parts? Someone may be able to tell you at least the maker of not the brand.

Have you considered buying the cutters/irons and making your own planes out of wood? Watched some videos and came up with a hybrid of various ideas to make a router plane. Used some cheap wood to make a quick one as a proof of concept and it works really well. Though I would make a couple of changes, it's worked so well, I haven't needed to make the final one.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20180415_185550397.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	366.4 KB
ID:	374261  

Jay C. White Cloud likes this.

"The kind of man who wants the government to adopt and enforce his ideas is always the kind of man whose ideas are idiotic." -H.L. Mencken
post #17 of 25 Old 04-13-2019, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTC View Post
Do you have any other pictures of the "mystery" plane from the side and back as well as the plane disassembled showing the tops and bottoms of the parts? Someone may be able to tell you at least the maker of not the brand.

Have you considered buying the cutters/irons and making your own planes out of wood? Watched some videos and came up with a hybrid of various ideas to make a router plane. Used some cheap wood to make a quick one as a proof of concept and it works really well. Though I would make a couple of changes, it's worked so well, I haven't needed to make the final one.
I have watched a Paul sellers vid on making a router plane, looks pretty straight forward, which is why I'm not worried about one of them right now.

I will take more pictures of my mystery plane once I get it cleaned up.
post #18 of 25 Old 04-13-2019, 06:24 PM
Be Nice

View JohnTC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I have watched a Paul sellers vid on making a router plane, looks pretty straight forward, which is why I'm not worried about one of them right now.

I will take more pictures of my mystery plane once I get it cleaned up.
I love Paul Seller's videos, but the poor man's router plane was not a good one. Tried that one first a couple of times and went back to youtube to research some more. His poor man's rebate plane is good though.

"The kind of man who wants the government to adopt and enforce his ideas is always the kind of man whose ideas are idiotic." -H.L. Mencken
post #19 of 25 Old 04-13-2019, 10:56 PM

View Red5hft's Photo Album My Photos
If you like to tinker...

If the tools are as much, or more fun than the projects, how about a Stanley 45 or 55 or clone? That will keep you busy and may cover some of you needs.

- Greg

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

"Whether you think you can, or you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
post #20 of 25 Old 04-13-2019, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay C. White Cloud View Post
Quote:
Very good start...

My "gut" (without know your specific interests in woodworking) is a Shouldered Rabbeting Plane...

My reasoning is a Rabbeting Block Plane is a close second and great plane to have in general, however it won't do what a Should version can do...but...even though larger, a Should Plane can do what the Block can't...

The large Carriage Rabbeting Plane is (most likely?) outside the context of any work you would do unless getting into Timber Framing and/or large folk style furniture forms like heavy Harvest/Farm Tables, Kaas/Armoire, Panel Chair, etc...

Good Luck,

j

This is what I was thinking of getting

https://www.lie-nielsen.com/product/...cker?node=4072

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode