5Likes
  • 1 Post By Rhaugle
  • 3 Post By AmishElectricCo
  • 1 Post By Rhaugle

post #1 of 12 Old 04-28-2019, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

View Rhaugle's Photo Album My Photos
More focused "which plane to get"

Hi guys,
I had posted a couple weeks ago about "which plane to get" with many suggestions.. I have decided to start with a new block plane... Im stuck deciding between 2 Lie neilsens... the 60 1/2 block or the 60 1/2 rabbet block. I would think the Rabbet would be "that much better" since it has the rabbet blade. However, Not an adjustable mouth.

Thoughts? I need to replace my Kobalt block so I know im getting one of these two, and not a dedicated shoulder plane (for now)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-28-2019, 03:45 PM
Be Nice

View JohnTC's Photo Album My Photos
Since you have the Kobalt, I'd say get the rabbet. What is the issue you are having with the Kobalt?

"The kind of man who wants the government to adopt and enforce his ideas is always the kind of man whose ideas are idiotic." -H.L. Mencken
post #3 of 12 Old 04-28-2019, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTC View Post
Since you have the Kobalt, I'd say get the rabbet. What is the issue you are having with the Kobalt?
The cap isn't staying secure, and it's not flat. The cap has a rotational cam style lever that I always seem to undo just by using it.. I bought it for one door (screen door) project so I wasn't too worried about it's accuracy at that time since it was about $15.
JohnTC likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 04-29-2019, 01:44 PM

View AmishElectricCo's Photo Album My Photos
Don't consider the rabbet block plane as a standard block plane + rabbet feature in a manner that you're getting the same tool plus something extra.

Removing, sharpening, re-inserting the blade of the rabbet plane is more difficult than the standard version. Not to mention, it must be handled with care because you are far more likely to cut yourself on the exposed edges. It's a specialty tool that is great at what it does, the rare times that you actually need it.

For general purpose use, the 60 1/2 is what you want.

⚡ Anthony
post #5 of 12 Old 05-15-2019, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

Bringing this topic back up... I found a video on youtube of someone who has the same kobalt plane. He did some work on it and it looks like a pretty good performer. Mainly, cleaning up the rough machine finish and flattening the sole. I think I may give this a shot and see how it works. I guess If i can get a $15 block plane working well, I can put money towards a different one..

So the the question becomes..... drum roll.... a shoulder plane, or a router plane? I think I am leaning towards a router plane, I think it can be used in more instances. Or would it be worth it to get a much, much nicer block plane?
JohnTC likes this.

Last edited by Rhaugle; 05-15-2019 at 12:27 AM.
post #6 of 12 Old 05-15-2019, 12:27 AM
Be Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhaugle View Post
Bringing this topic back up... I found a video on youtube of someone who has the same kobalt plane. He did some work on it and it looks like a pretty good performer. Mainly, cleaning up the rough machine finish and flattening the sole. I think I may give this a shot and see how it works. I guess If i can get a $15 block plane working well, I can put money towards a different one..

So the the question becomes..... drum roll.... a shoulder plane, or a router plane? I think I am leaning towards a router plane, because I think it can do much of what a shoulder plane can do, and more.
I agree. Can clean up shoulders pretty well with a router plane and do much more.

"The kind of man who wants the government to adopt and enforce his ideas is always the kind of man whose ideas are idiotic." -H.L. Mencken
post #7 of 12 Old 05-15-2019, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I agree. Can clean up shoulders pretty well with a router plane and do much more.

edited that post a bit... would you say a router plane over a much nicer block plane upgrade?
post #8 of 12 Old 05-15-2019, 12:30 AM
Be Nice

Quote:
edited that post a bit... would you say a router plane over a much nicer block plane upgrade?
If you can figure out the lever on your block plane, definitely. The Kobalt should perform fine once tuned. I have a bunch of block planes I've gotten from garage sales and flea markets. The 60 1/2 design is my favorite and all those that emulate it such as the Kobalt do a fine job.

Last edited by JohnTC; 05-15-2019 at 12:34 AM.
post #9 of 12 Old 05-15-2019, 05:12 AM
Be Nice

Quote:
If you can figure out the lever on your block plane, definitely. The Kobalt should perform fine once tuned. I have a bunch of block planes I've gotten from garage sales and flea markets. The 60 1/2 design is my favorite and all those that emulate it such as the Kobalt do a fine job.
I meant figure out what was wrong with it. Not that you can't figure out how to use it. lol

post #10 of 12 Old 05-15-2019, 09:56 AM

View gmercer_48083's Photo Album My Photos
Rhaugle, If you follow this video...you will get the same result on your Kobalt block plane.
https://www.reddit.com/r/woodworking...t_block_plane/

Gary
post #11 of 12 Old 05-15-2019, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmercer_48083 View Post
Rhaugle, If you follow this video...you will get the same result on your Kobalt block plane.
https://www.reddit.com/r/woodworking...t_block_plane/

The exact video I found! Have you done this? with this plane?
post #12 of 12 Old 05-16-2019, 10:03 AM

View gmercer_48083's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
The exact video I found! Have you done this? with this plane?

No, I don't own this model plane....But after having tuned many hand planes, and seeing how the Kobalt block plane is assembled in this video, I can see his attention to the details of removing all the burrs will eliminate the manufacturing defects that make this an unusable plane out of the package. By following each and every part of this video "Will make the Kobalt block plane a joy to use". All those burrs on the stamped parts amplify the problems with adjusting everything on the plane. Fettling your block plane (or any Plane) to this extent is well worth the time and effort spent doing it.

Gary

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode