Milwaukee Worm Drive Circular Saw - Will it rip 8ft of S2S 6/4 oak? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 02-04-2015, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

View snooger's Photo Album My Photos
Milwaukee Worm Drive Circular Saw - Will it rip 8ft of S2S 6/4 oak?

Starting a new project after 20+ years away from woodworking and would like some advice.

I need to rip some lumber from our local hardwood shop to make the base of a pedestal bed. I'm thinking of just having them plane down 6/4 oak and straighten one side so I can rip what I need from it. The longest sections I need will be approximately 8 ft long.

I have a shopsmith that I recently inherited. While my Grandfather could make the shopsmith sing... I think I may get better results using a homemade circular saw guide and a friend's worm drive milwaukee circular saw. The shopsmith's table top is very small and I don't have a lot of experience with it. I can use the circular saw outside with plenty of room. I can then bring the ripped pieces into my shop and finish them up.

So, my 6/4 lumber thatís S2S measures 1-5/16″ thick after it's been cleaned up. Would any of you have concerns doing this with a circular saw and a guide for cabinets? If so, got any better suggestions?

I really appreciate the insight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-04-2015, 05:00 PM

View mako1's Photo Album My Photos
I use a millwaukee worm drive saw in my remoeling business daily and don't think you would have a problem with that rip as long as you have a good ,sharp blade for ripping and your feed rate is steady.I rip SYP and SPF 1 1/2 lumber daily with it.Not as hard as oak but construction grade and a higher moisture content.I think it should work fine with a good rip blade.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-04-2015, 05:10 PM
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
It should do fine. Make sure you have a good ripping blade.

The tools don't make the craftsman....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 02-05-2015, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

View snooger's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for the feedback. I thought it should be no problem. :-) Just picked up a good ripping blade last night.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-12-2015, 09:48 PM

View strippedscrew's Photo Album My Photos
You'll have to plug it in.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to strippedscrew For This Useful Post:
BZawat (02-13-2015), gideon (05-20-2015), rayking49 (02-13-2015)
post #6 of 6 Old 05-20-2015, 12:49 PM
novice

View olfrt's Photo Album My Photos
Well did the Millwaukee do the trick?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode