Making Raised Panels - Hand Tools - Page 3 - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 58 Old 01-08-2012, 07:38 AM
Old School
 
cabinetman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: So. Florida
Posts: 24,062
View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Very nice work, well done. I was looking at the door stops. Are they the spring type ball catches, magnets, or something else?






.
cabinetman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #42 of 58 Old 01-08-2012, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
In History is the Future
 
firemedic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: South Louisiana - Gonzales
Posts: 6,424
View firemedic's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks guys!

Dang C-man, those old eyes ain't no joke! They are spring ball catches. I didn't have time to order cabinet ones so I removed the ball, spring and grommet out of full sized one and threaded em directly into the oak face frame.

The picture is the test / mock for that

~tom. ...GEAUX TIGERS!... ...GEAUX SAINTS!......
Attached Images
 
firemedic is offline  
post #43 of 58 Old 01-08-2012, 08:19 AM
Senior Member
 
Taylormade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,733
View Taylormade's Photo Album My Photos
Simply outstanding work and craftsmanship Tom! It came out beautiful.

Ut Prosim
Taylormade is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #44 of 58 Old 01-08-2012, 08:54 AM
Old School
 
cabinetman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: So. Florida
Posts: 24,062
View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemedic View Post
Thanks guys!

Dang C-man, those old eyes ain't no joke! They are spring ball catches. I didn't have time to order cabinet ones so I removed the ball, spring and grommet out of full sized one and threaded em directly into the oak face frame.

The picture is the test / mock for that
Looks good. I've used them a lot. Some are adjustable for tension. What did you do to the bottom of the door...just an indenture? Did you install at the top too? The only problem I've had is that there is no adjustment once installed.






.
cabinetman is offline  
post #45 of 58 Old 01-08-2012, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
In History is the Future
 
firemedic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: South Louisiana - Gonzales
Posts: 6,424
View firemedic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman

Looks good. I've used them a lot. Some are adjustable for tension. What did you do to the bottom of the door...just an indenture? Did you install at the top too? The only problem I've had is that there is no adjustment once installed.
.
Just a depression in the door. I only did the bottom, maybe should have done the top instead so it wouldn't show but ahh well.

There are set to just barely catch the door cause it doesn't require much tension to keep em closed. Alignment was critical, I just really took my time with that because like you said, no adjustment afterwards.

~tom. ...GEAUX TIGERS!... ...GEAUX SAINTS!......
firemedic is offline  
post #46 of 58 Old 01-08-2012, 10:02 AM
Log dog
 
Dominick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Northeast illinois
Posts: 7,933
View Dominick's Photo Album My Photos
Beautiful job Tom.
I also like the two tone color.

When it's rustic......it's rustic
Dominick is offline  
post #47 of 58 Old 01-22-2012, 05:22 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Nelson, BC
Posts: 24
View trctimberworks's Photo Album My Photos
Great work Tom! It's nice to see someone else that appreciates hand tools too! Although I do not do as much hand tool work as you, I am always picking up new hand tools and learning new techniques. You’re a great inspiration, thank you!

Tim
trctimberworks is offline  
post #48 of 58 Old 01-22-2012, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
In History is the Future
 
firemedic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: South Louisiana - Gonzales
Posts: 6,424
View firemedic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by trctimberworks
Great work Tom! It's nice to see someone else that appreciates hand tools too! Although I do not do as much hand tool work as you, I am always picking up new hand tools and learning new techniques. You’re a great inspiration, thank you!

Tim

Thanks!

I sure do love hearing only the relaxing sounds of hand tools and occasionally the radio too.

I'll take this as an opportunity to thank Lawrence for the Disston he sent my way, it's going to undergo an extensive rehab soon.

Also, here are a couple pictures of the Stanley 45 pictured already after a mild rehab I did a few weeks back. It's even more enjoyable to use now as adjustments are far more smooth.

Thanks again for all that looked in!

~tom. ...GEAUX TIGERS!... ...GEAUX SAINTS!......
Attached Images
    
firemedic is offline  
post #49 of 58 Old 01-22-2012, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
In History is the Future
 
firemedic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: South Louisiana - Gonzales
Posts: 6,424
View firemedic's Photo Album My Photos
Oh! And the last pict was taken before rehab... But it shows the pat pretty well!

~tom. ...GEAUX TIGERS!... ...GEAUX SAINTS!......
firemedic is offline  
post #50 of 58 Old 01-22-2012, 08:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Wrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: South Western Minnesota
Posts: 825
View Wrangler's Photo Album My Photos
That's a nice 45.

The one I have is newer; but missing much of it's nickle plating. It's ugly; but works well!!
Wrangler is offline  
post #51 of 58 Old 01-23-2012, 04:33 PM
The woodwrongs shoppe
 
lawrence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: chadbourn NC
Posts: 665
View lawrence's Photo Album My Photos
hey Tom ...that 45 looks great....make sure to keep a good polishing on it...that little sparkle just does it for me...lol

hmmmmm....only thing I dont see is shavings.......never actually seen one in use before....hint hint

lawrence

__________________________________________________ _____________
lawrence is offline  
post #52 of 58 Old 01-23-2012, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
In History is the Future
 
firemedic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: South Louisiana - Gonzales
Posts: 6,424
View firemedic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence
hey Tom ...that 45 looks great....make sure to keep a good polishing on it...that little sparkle just does it for me...lol

hmmmmm....only thing I dont see is shavings.......never actually seen one in use before....hint hint
There is at least one picture in the thread... What do you want?... A video?

--------------------------------------------- one day I'll be so good that I won't need this forum any longer... then I'll know I have full onset Dementia! ~tom
firemedic is offline  
post #53 of 58 Old 01-23-2012, 04:57 PM
The woodwrongs shoppe
 
lawrence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: chadbourn NC
Posts: 665
View lawrence's Photo Album My Photos
ohhhhhhhh ok I see it now.....just didnt recognize the 45....looks a tad different...lol

lawrence

__________________________________________________ _____________
lawrence is offline  
post #54 of 58 Old 01-24-2012, 12:43 PM
Hungry like a Hippo
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Louisville
Posts: 349
View cellophane's Photo Album My Photos
Great stuff Tom!
cellophane is offline  
post #55 of 58 Old 02-01-2012, 12:28 AM
No Longer Here
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Rumson New Jersey
Posts: 1,530
View MastersHand's Photo Album My Photos
Awesome When I was Down visiting Dad him and I were cleaning up his shop in his garage and making a rack for his planes and redoing his carving station. He told me I'm leaving all my tools and Books to you son. I teared up and said no time soon Dad. He then says come here I want to show you something in the corner was a Stanley 45 but the thing that gave me chills was its in it's original metal box with logos on it. Inside all the cutters in there little spots made of wood original to the box on the very bottom lay the manual yellowed and very brittle but there. Unbelievable " Priceless "

Sent from my iPhone using Wood Forum

Last edited by MastersHand; 02-01-2012 at 07:55 AM.
MastersHand is offline  
post #56 of 58 Old 02-01-2012, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
In History is the Future
 
firemedic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: South Louisiana - Gonzales
Posts: 6,424
View firemedic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MastersHand
Awesome When I was Down visiting Dad him and I were cleaning up his shop in his garage and making a rack for his planes and redoing his carving station. He told me I'm leaving all my tools and Books to you son. I teared up and said no time soon Dad. He then says come here I want to show you something in the corner was a Stanley 45 but the thing that gave me chills was its in it's original metal box with logos on it. Inside all the cutters in there little spots made of wood original to the box on the very bottom lay the manual yellowed and very brittle but there. Unbelievable " Priceless "

Sent from my iPhone using Wood Forum
Cherish that plane, man. Don't be afraid to use it though... It was made to be used!

That manual needs to be in a climate controlled environment if possible!

--------------------------------------------- one day I'll be so good that I won't need this forum any longer... then I'll know I have full onset Dementia! ~tom
firemedic is offline  
post #57 of 58 Old 02-01-2012, 07:44 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Volusia County, FL
Posts: 83
View Eric13's Photo Album My Photos
I don't know how I missed this thread. That is fantastic stuff Tom. There is just something about using hand tools! I'm always on the lookout for them.

Did you have a guide for the raised panels or eyeball it? And how is the end grain on the oak to plane?

Again nicely done!
Eric13 is offline  
post #58 of 58 Old 02-01-2012, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
In History is the Future
 
firemedic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: South Louisiana - Gonzales
Posts: 6,424
View firemedic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric13
I don't know how I missed this thread. That is fantastic stuff Tom. There is just something about using hand tools! I'm always on the lookout for them.

Did you have a guide for the raised panels or eyeball it? And how is the end grain on the oak to plane?

Again nicely done!
Thx! No guide, just steady hands haha. I marked all the lines with a marking gauge and worked to those lines. The end grain wasn't bad at all. Did the ends first of course and used a low angle block plane.

It was a fun build. Stayed tuned as I have a few more hand tool projects coming up... A cypress fire place surround and mantle, magnolia gun cabinet, cypress armoire, etc...

Thx for looking!

--------------------------------------------- one day I'll be so good that I won't need this forum any longer... then I'll know I have full onset Dementia! ~tom
firemedic is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Making small boxes with hand tools craniac Hand Tools 12 08-30-2011 12:16 PM
First Raised Panels jschaben General Woodworking Discussion 8 04-18-2011 09:49 PM
raised panels woodtone General Woodworking Discussion 11 07-27-2010 02:42 AM
Plywood For Raised Panels cabinetman General Woodworking Discussion 10 02-13-2010 08:36 AM
Raised Panels With A Table Saw hubaseball General Woodworking Discussion 4 12-08-2007 04:51 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome