making a grinding wheel? this is in the idea stage - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 29 Old 01-14-2013, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

View johnmark's Photo Album My Photos
making a grinding wheel? this is in the idea stage

Has anyone ever made their own grinding wheel pouring some sort of cement mixture into a mold?

It would be neat if i could make a treadle and attach it to a wheel.

Seems like a simple project, but you would need to get the mixture just right.

i've done minimal googling, but didn't see or hear about the result of such endeavors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 01-14-2013, 02:52 PM

View Brian T.'s Photo Album My Photos
I think that you could make a mold and wax the hello out of the inside.
Next, you need to score some very fine sand. I don't know if the sand sold for brick mortar is really fine enough. I'm guessing that it needs to be 60-80 grit or finer. I'm trying to recall the belt sander when I was reshaping a Narex 1/2" skew into a carver's stop chisel (sort of a 1/12). At least 60, maybe 80. Lots of oil stone, water stone and honing but I got exactly what I wished for.

I dig my sand out of a pit that I know of, 'way up the Castle River, half hour from here in the summer but maybe 10' of snow in there right now. It "feels" like maybe 80 grit. I use it with water for lapping stone slabs to use for bases for wood carvings. BUT, I have 6 x 40lbs stashed outside my basement door in the snow. Happy to mail it C.O.D.
post #3 of 29 Old 01-14-2013, 07:57 PM

View Wrangler's Photo Album My Photos
I know nothing about making grind stones; however, keep in mind that there is a tremendous amount of centrifugal force when that thing is spinning at 1800 or 3600 rpm. It wouldn't be pretty if it exploded.

Last edited by Wrangler; 01-14-2013 at 08:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 01-14-2013, 08:14 PM
In History is the Future

View firemedic's Photo Album My Photos
I have to say it's crossed my mind but that's all.

I think you would be better finding a chunk of soap stone and some stone carving chisels and going at it... Or Arkansas black stone!... Boy that would be a nice grinding wheel!

Good luck
post #5 of 29 Old 01-14-2013, 09:06 PM

View SeniorSitizen's Photo Album My Photos
If you haven't researched " vitrified bond " to this point you may want to do so to help determine if you want to proceed.

If I were peddling the glue wouldn't need to be very good.
post #6 of 29 Old 01-14-2013, 10:01 PM

View Wrangler's Photo Album My Photos
I missed the fact that the OP was using treadle power. It probably won't turn at near 1800; so the concern isn't quite as great.
post #7 of 29 Old 01-14-2013, 10:33 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
stones have different hardness like jewels

To be effective the stone has to be harder than the metal you are grinding. Then the binder must be strong enough to hold the grit together under force and heat generated. This ain't rocket science, but it is abrasive science, a few things are involved. I live in Michigan where a lot of stone was used for grist mills and you see them as yard decorations driving around. They are large about 2 - 3 ft in diameter. My grandpa hand a pedal powered grinder in the farm yard and I also remember a hand cranked stone on the workbench ... 60 years ago.
I you just want to sharpen rather than remove metal then a stropping wheel made of leather and loaded with jewelers rouge or buffing compound would be a good place to start. The other thing you might try is a wooden wheel with emery cloth of various grits glued or attached in some way.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 01-15-2013 at 03:56 AM.
post #8 of 29 Old 01-14-2013, 11:51 PM

woodnthings: how fast do you think that the kid can pedal this contraption? 100rpm?
I think it's a hoot of an idea, to resurrect an old time piece of gear.
However, the steel in the market place was soft. It had to be, with no power tools.
A lot of sand stone is quartz-based, that ought to be hard enough, at speed, to do some basic bevel shaping. I can't bring myself to say the "S" word = sharpening!
post #9 of 29 Old 01-15-2013, 02:20 AM
Master firewood maker

View Chris Curl's Photo Album My Photos
is this just to see if you could do it? i mean, i'm a cheap bastard, and grinding stones are cheap enough even for me to not think twice about buying one.
so, what are your intentions for it?
i know about the treadle idea, but surely you could rig up something to attach it to a treadle.

Last edited by Chris Curl; 01-15-2013 at 02:22 AM.
post #10 of 29 Old 01-15-2013, 03:00 AM

View Tilaran's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to Tilaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Curl View Post
is this just to see if you could do it? i mean, i'm a cheap bastard, and grinding stones are cheap enough even for me to not think twice about buying one.
so, what are your intentions for it?
i know about the treadle idea, but surely you could rig up something to attach it to a treadle.
OK where do I get one of these wheels ?
Attached Images

post #11 of 29 Old 01-15-2013, 03:38 AM
Turning Wood Into Art

View DaveTTC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilaran
Wherever the photo was taken

Dave The Turning Cowboy

DaveTTC

The Turning Cowboy
Turning Wood into Art
post #12 of 29 Old 01-15-2013, 12:30 PM

Well, it has to be big enough to take advantage of the momentum, once you get it going. Then, it has to be wide enough to be useful in a practical sense. I think that 3" x 18" would work. . . . . . but it sure won't be easily portable!
post #13 of 29 Old 01-15-2013, 12:45 PM
Master firewood maker

View Chris Curl's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilaran View Post
wow, so you are talking about a big one. i was thinking of the littler ones they stock at hardware stores.

never mind
post #14 of 29 Old 01-15-2013, 01:58 PM

Most motorized shop "grinders" run at a motor speed of 3750rpm, seems that's how the motor was designed. Dedicated grinders for sharpening rarely run faster than 1750rpm. In either case, you can cook the temper out of a tool edge in the blink of an eye. Sheets of flying sparks will be small comfort.
But, if you go slow and are careful, it is possible to rough out the shape of a tool.
I am a sucker for pairs of skew chisels in wood carving. My first pair of NAREX (Lee Valley) 1/2" skews come from the CZ factory at 25 degrees. By hand, I scrubbed them back to 20 and made them carving sharp. They are so good, I bought pair #2 within 10 days!

I decided that I needed another carver's stop chisel. This is double beveled, 10 degrees each side, for a total of 20. So, I used the high-speed grinder to take off the entire end of a Narex skew = squared it off. Then I established the 10 degree bevel on each face. Then, by hand, I went from oil stones to water stones to my strop. I got a 1/12 stop chisel which is the answer to my wishes. Very good steel.

I don't know how fast you can pedal this thing, especially a small stone with a low rim-speed. Going to take a very long time to get anything done. If it was a really big/old-fashioned wheel that you had in mind, for light work it would be a thrill to use. Then you could apply to the Grim Reaper and get a part time job sharpening his scythe!
post #15 of 29 Old 01-15-2013, 02:19 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
this give any ideas?

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #16 of 29 Old 01-15-2013, 03:39 PM

View trc65's Photo Album My Photos
I think the first one is a winner. Simple mechanism, not a lot of moving parts, easily portable (could ride it to where it's needed)

"Good Behavior is the last refuge of mediocrity" -- Henry S. Haskins
post #17 of 29 Old 01-15-2013, 04:28 PM

View amckenzie4's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilaran View Post
I almost bought one at a flea market last summer... it was only about $25. So if you've got any good flea markets nearby, you might have luck.
post #18 of 29 Old 01-16-2013, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

View johnmark's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangler View Post
I missed the fact that the OP was using treadle power. It probably won't turn at near 1800; so the concern isn't quite as great.
i don't think i can treadle that fast.

this would be for chisels and axes and such. just a rough thing to do heavy shaping.

i have a few stones and a diamond stone for the fine stuff.

i think about romantic ideas of a wireless shop (not talking about internet here) and this would be just a thing to consider.

i have too many projects on my table at the moment. mallets, little gift things, wedding planning, dining table.

this is just so i can keep dreaming.

i'm thinking some kind of sand, concrete, and some additive would do the trick. make a mold and maybe put some kind of thick metal ring in the middle so it will be embedded to put an axle through.
post #19 of 29 Old 01-16-2013, 03:55 PM

View JLinWV's Photo Album My Photos
This is the one I'm working on now, the stone was off-center and egg-shaped. Almost have it perfectly round now (not in this pic though) and am trying to figure a way of pedaling to turn it.

The Following User Says Thank You to JLinWV For This Useful Post:
johnmark (01-17-2013)
post #20 of 29 Old 01-16-2013, 06:14 PM

View amckenzie4's Photo Album My Photos
Put a treadle under the frame, turning a large wheel mounted on the right side. Run a belt around the wheel and the bar the handle is attached to, and it should spin pretty fast.

At least, that's how I'd try it first...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode