• 1 Post By Brian T.
  • 1 Post By johnep
  • 1 Post By Arthur Blowfish
  • 1 Post By JohnTC

post #1 of 13 Old 08-20-2018, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
Be Nice

View JohnTC's Photo Album My Photos
Made a burnisher.

Bought some card scrapers a while back but passed on a burnisher because they were expensive and I heard you could use a drill bit. Drill bit didn't work too well so picked up some carbide rods on ebay cheap since one end of each was chipped. Finally turned a handle tonight and assembled one. Very basic, but I'm pleased with it and cost less than $5.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180820_023014898.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	285.3 KB
ID:	365238  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-20-2018, 07:52 AM
johnep

View johnep's Photo Album My Photos
Apart from burnishing gold leaf............uses?
johnep
post #3 of 13 Old 08-20-2018, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Be Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnep1934 View Post
Apart from burnishing gold leaf............uses?
johnep
To create the bur on a card scraper. Heard you could use the smooth end of a drill bit, but didn't work well. Picked up a few carbide rods that were chipped on one end for cheap and turned a handle last night for one of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 08-20-2018, 02:00 PM

View gmercer_48083's Photo Album My Photos
Wow, Very nice! I use a screwdriver when I burnish my scrapers. Lube with a light oil when you use it. Carbide is brittle so don't drop it, but it should work well.
JohnTC likes this.

Gary
post #5 of 13 Old 08-20-2018, 04:27 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Nice project, though I'm both surprised and jealous you found a bar of carbide like that for $5...

Points of interest for anybody needing a burnisher, drill shanks are usually too soft to be used as a burnisher. Ditto for modern screwdriver shanks, most aren't actually hardened. Older, quality screwdrivers might work, provided they're hardened all the way through. If a file bites into the metal easily, probably won't make a good burnisher
JohnTC likes this.

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #6 of 13 Old 08-20-2018, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Be Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmercer_48083 View Post
Wow, Very nice! I use a screwdriver when I burnish my scrapers. Lube with a light oil when you use it. Carbide is brittle so don't drop it, but it should work well.
Glad you like it gmercer, and thank you for the tip. Will give it a try.
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfail48 View Post
Nice project, though I'm both surprised and jealous you found a bar of carbide like that for $5...

Points of interest for anybody needing a burnisher, drill shanks are usually too soft to be used as a burnisher. Ditto for modern screwdriver shanks, most aren't actually hardened. Older, quality screwdrivers might work, provided they're hardened all the way through. If a file bites into the metal easily, probably won't make a good burnisher
Glad you like it epic. Got three rods 3/8" x 3 1/8" shipped for $13 total because each of them had a tiny chip on one end. Hides nicely in the handle which was turned from a piece of firewood. Tried one of those titanium drill bits from HF and the titanium just scraped off and the underlying material was way too soft.

Gonna have to work on my technique, but happy with the burnisher.

Last edited by JohnTC; 08-20-2018 at 07:33 PM.
post #7 of 13 Old 08-20-2018, 07:41 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTC View Post
...Tried one of those titanium drill bits from HF and the titanium just scraped off and the underlying material was way too soft.
Never buy drill bits from Harbor freight... I like the store, i really do, but theres some things you should never touch. Drill bits, cutting tools (saw blades and the like), glues, sandpaper, most consumables. Calling the drill bits useless would be a disservice to the word...
JohnTC likes this.

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #8 of 13 Old 08-20-2018, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Be Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfail48 View Post
Never buy drill bits from Harbor freight... I like the store, i really do, but theres some things you should never touch. Drill bits, cutting tools (saw blades and the like), glues, sandpaper, most consumables. Calling the drill bits useless would be a disservice to the word...
LOL. Yea, have to be careful at HF. Never buy anything with a motor. I like their CA glue and sandpaper (not because it's good quality but because it's cheap enough to make up for the poor quality), but no more bits from there after it took 3 of them to get through an 1/8" of mild steel.
post #9 of 13 Old 08-21-2018, 01:36 AM

View Brian T.'s Photo Album My Photos
I read in Leonard Lee's Sharpening book that a burr on a scraper was optional.
So for all the use that I make of home-made scrapers, I just chalk a file and do my best to square an edge.
I buy boxes of Swiss-made Oregon chainsaw files and the tangs are hard enough to raise a burr on a scraper.
JohnTC likes this.
post #10 of 13 Old 08-21-2018, 07:28 AM
johnep

View johnep's Photo Album My Photos
I use commercial scrapers which have replaceable edges, Skarsten is the brand I use.
johnep
JohnTC likes this.
post #11 of 13 Old 08-21-2018, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Be Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robson Valley View Post
I read in Leonard Lee's Sharpening book that a burr on a scraper was optional.
So for all the use that I make of home-made scrapers, I just chalk a file and do my best to square an edge.
I buy boxes of Swiss-made Oregon chainsaw files and the tangs are hard enough to raise a burr on a scraper.
Here's a 5 minute video that aligns with my philosophy. In short, the burr helps to sheer the wood fibers creating shavings and leaving behind a "glassy surface". If the performance and results are fine for you without a burr, then you're good to go. It's your tool and your product. Not going to tell you to do it a different way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnep1934 View Post
I use commercial scrapers which have replaceable edges, Skarsten is the brand I use.
johnep
Those are cool. I like the versatility of card scrapers; but as I said to RV, if the tool fulfills your needs, then you're good to go. :)
post #12 of 13 Old 08-21-2018, 08:04 AM

View Arthur Blowfish's Photo Album My Photos
A scraper is the finest finishing tool known to man.

With a freshly sharpened burr it will clean up tricky grain reversals, give a clean face without abrasive marks, and enable a french polished surface which displays chatoyance to die for (or charge x2 for)

As others have said, a large diameter drill rod, or a screwdriver, or a purpose made burnisher, is the tool of choice for turning the burr.

Try one!
JohnTC likes this.
post #13 of 13 Old 08-21-2018, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Be Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Blowfish View Post
A scraper is the finest finishing tool known to man.

With a freshly sharpened burr it will clean up tricky grain reversals, give a clean face without abrasive marks, and enable a french polished surface which displays chatoyance to die for (or charge x2 for)

As others have said, a large diameter drill rod, or a screwdriver, or a purpose made burnisher, is the tool of choice for turning the burr.

Try one!
Couldn't have said it better myself. Very eloquent.
Brian T. likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode