Looking at wood carving sets and need some advice. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 06-16-2013, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

View Sleeper's Photo Album My Photos
Looking at wood carving sets and need some advice.

I’m making a small sign with a Dremel tool and it’s a little hard to get straight smooth lines. I think it would be so much better if I had a wood carving set. I don’t want to spend a lot of money in case it doesn’t work out.

I was looking at a couple of inexpensive sets and wonder which would be better to start with. One is a Basic Wood Carving Set of 6 for $19.99 or should I start with the Wood and Lino Cutting Tool Set of 6 for $3.29?

I Never have carved before and don’t know what to expect.

Update: Decided to buy the cheaper set because the handles on the more expensive set didn’t look very comfortable.

JohnnyB
Iím a die hard DIY guy. Donít tell me to hire someone for what I can do myself.

Last edited by Sleeper; 06-16-2013 at 06:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-16-2013, 07:58 PM

View Brian T.'s Photo Album My Photos
Sleeper: Please don't buy a set and please don't buy inexpensive tools. You really do get what you pay for. Can you clamp up something as a straight edge for the Dremel to follow?
What shape of a line do you want to see (V-shape, U-shape)?

Sets of any sort, there's one or more tools that you've paid for but will almost never use for whatever your carving style is. Cheap tools are cheap steel and you can't get them carving sharp or keep them that way.

Buy the one tool that you need from open stock. Henry Taylor, Drake, Two Cherries, Pfeil, Ashley Iles are some top brands. Some come carving sharp some don't. The edge may last 30 minutes then need to be honed. Much like putting a really good edge on a razor blade (can be done by hand).

Most of my conventional/western tools are Pfeil, made in Switzerland, lots of dealers all over the place.
They arrive carving sharp most of the time.

Best case scenario is to find a local wood carving club, meet those people and show them what you need to do.
The Following User Says Thank You to Brian T. For This Useful Post:
Sleeper (06-16-2013)
post #3 of 12 Old 06-16-2013, 08:03 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
You might think about a set like this. The handle design might be better suited for you.
http://www.constantines.com/carvingset6pc.aspx

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cabinetman For This Useful Post:
bigcouger (06-18-2013), Sleeper (06-16-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 06-16-2013, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robson Valley View Post
Sleeper: Please don't buy a set and please don't buy inexpensive tools. You really do get what you pay for. Can you clamp up something as a straight edge for the Dremel to follow?
What shape of a line do you want to see (V-shape, U-shape)?
Well this is what Iím talking about although the photo shows it better than I can see.

At first I really didnít want to do this again, but after working on it for a while, I was thinking of a lot thing I could do.
I was looking for a set because I donít know what I really need. The V-shaped looks like it would work nicely in the corners.

JohnnyB
post #5 of 12 Old 06-18-2013, 01:26 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Carving can be a lot of fun. If you think you would like to do more of it then I would buy some good chisels. Probably the most difficult is getting the hang of sharpening them. I wouldn't buy a set though. I could put together a list of some the most used chisels I use but for the sign I would be more inclined to do that with a router.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve Neul For This Useful Post:
Grunkle Stan (06-18-2013), Sleeper (06-18-2013)
post #6 of 12 Old 06-18-2013, 02:05 AM

View MmudKatD2's Photo Album My Photos
The cheaper sets are definitely not worth it. Upgrade to the better tools. I use Flexcut brand with palm handles. I find the palm handles give me a little better control. But it also depends on the size of the project. I generally am carving smaller stuff with some detail. Depending on the project, a good detail knife, maybe a chip knife, a 45 degree v tool and a couple of sweeps or gouges in different sizes. A lot of the web sites and catalogs will show you a gauge chart to make it easier to decide on which tools you'll need for your particular style and project.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MmudKatD2 For This Useful Post:
bigcouger (06-18-2013), Sleeper (06-18-2013)
post #7 of 12 Old 06-18-2013, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, maybe Iíll order a V shaped tool with the palm handle to see how it works. Never used one before and it looks awkward, but Iíll give it a try. There have been many times that I would have liked to add a little bit of carving to some of my projects, but chose to pass.

I have carved a few things many years ago, but I used a pocket knife. The last one was an owl and I have to say that I was sure glad to be done with it. I canít remember if I actually finished it because an artist friend wanted it real bad so I gave it to her. It was a real chore, but perhaps I would have enjoyed it more if I had better tools.

JohnnyB
post #8 of 12 Old 06-18-2013, 09:22 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
If you have a Dremel tool, you could get a pantograph and letter templates.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cabinetman For This Useful Post:
bigcouger (06-18-2013), Sleeper (06-18-2013)
post #9 of 12 Old 06-18-2013, 12:10 PM

View MmudKatD2's Photo Album My Photos
Flex cut and Denny both make some decent quality tools at reasonable prices. Sort of a mid range price for quality tools. I know my flexcuts arrived sharp and ready to use.
The Following User Says Thank You to MmudKatD2 For This Useful Post:
Sleeper (06-18-2013)
post #10 of 12 Old 06-18-2013, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman View Post
If you have a Dremel tool, you could get a pantograph and letter templates.

I didnít know there was such a thing for dremel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmudKatD2 View Post
Flex cut and Denny both make some decent quality tools at reasonable prices. Sort of a mid range price for quality tools. I know my flexcuts arrived sharp and ready to use.
Wow, I just looked at them and they are nice, but thatís too rich for my blood. I guess if I were to make a living out of it, I would definitely buy a nice set like that.

JohnnyB
post #11 of 12 Old 06-18-2013, 09:55 PM

View bigcouger's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via MSN to bigcouger Send a message via Skype™ to bigcouger
Quote:
Originally Posted by MmudKatD2 View Post
The cheaper sets are definitely not worth it. Upgrade to the better tools. I use Flexcut brand with palm handles. I find the palm handles give me a little better control. But it also depends on the size of the project. I generally am carving smaller stuff with some detail. Depending on the project, a good detail knife, maybe a chip knife, a 45 degree v tool and a couple of sweeps or gouges in different sizes. A lot of the web sites and catalogs will show you a gauge chart to make it easier to decide on which tools you'll need for your particular style and project.

Yap +1 here

All Pictures Posted by Bigcouger are owned by Roy Millsaps an is not to be copied or used with advertisements without the written consent of said person. Pictures are here to help guide you in your woodworking abilities an to encourage you in your wood working hobbies, not to be copied
Thank you
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigcouger For This Useful Post:
MmudKatD2 (06-18-2013), Sleeper (06-21-2013)
post #12 of 12 Old 06-21-2013, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Well I tried using a sharp X-Acto knife for the corners and the wood is too hard so I started looking again for something to complete it.

I found a 1/8Ē IRWIN chisel for $10 that I may buy if I donít find one cheaper. I want to finish this project tomorrow and donít really want to wait for it. Iíve never seen one locally, but I may take a look at Home Depot to see if they have one, otherwise Iím going to have to drill holes in all the corners and try cutting them out with a knife.

I was also looking at the http://www.amazon.com/Beginner-Palm-and-Knife-Set/dp/B005EG033Y/ref=sr_sp-btf_title_2_41?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1371860785&sr=1-41#productDetails. Itís still more than what I wanted to spend, but its looking better all the time.

JohnnyB

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode