Last pair of new tools! - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 03-31-2015, 04:09 AM Thread Starter
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Last pair of new tools!

So ive finally got a chance to mention the one last tools i got on my spree last week. Ive been holding off until i get to show off a project that hinged on the new tool, but i finally got that project pretty well finished, so here the new tool is:

After months of coveting one, i finally have my own MKII honing guide! It only took me 3 days, but i finally managed to get all my bladed implements ground sharp and back into square. Lot of sandpaper used.

So, anyway, project i made. Some people may remember the old jack plane i restored a while back:
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f11/y...restore-62179/

Unfortunately, said plane took an unfortunate tumble off a workbench into a concrete floor, causing a crack in the side. Now, if it were just cosmetic id still be using it, but the crack went through the side casting, leaving me able to warp the sole with light hand pressure. In short, useless not, but the blade is decent steel and i was loathe to retire it. So i made a blade holder, to honor the old gal:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...5/100_0697.JPG

Well, more accurately i made a plane. It was a rather interesting build, because it was one of those things where i knew how everythin was supposed together, i knew how it was supposed to work but i couldnt wrap my head around how to make one without making one. My brain is weird like that. Anyway, it was actually pretty easy to get everything together. The main body is hard maple, the sides and tote are cherry and the wedge is red oak, all together everything measures about 14x2.75x2.25. All odds and ends i had as scrap. Originally, the entire plane was meant to be maple but when i drew up the plans, i forgot to account for any saw kerf, necessitating the cherry sides. Ah well, it looks nice. The tote is patterned off that on the old jack plane.

Ive got a couple coats of linseed oil drying on it, but i couldnt resist slapping the blade in earlier in the build just to play with it. Based on the early playing, i think me and my new jack plane are going to get along nicely!

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-31-2015, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Village Idiot

Well thats irritating

I just realized the photo of the plane never went through right. Here she is, in all her glory:

I need cheaper hobby
post #3 of 9 Old 04-01-2015, 09:40 AM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
Very impressive! Thanks for sharing. Be safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 04-01-2015, 09:46 AM
Pain in the A$$

View Burb's Photo Album My Photos
Thats AWESOME!! We definitely need to get together. I have that MKII, but I haven't used it as the only times I tried to sharpen blades I just destroyed my sandpaper. Maybe you can help me. I'm a hands-on learning guy better than a youtube one LOL..

Mark

"Measuring is the enemy of accuracy." Chris Schwartz
post #5 of 9 Old 04-01-2015, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burb View Post
Thats AWESOME!! We definitely need to get together. I have that MKII, but I haven't used it as the only times I tried to sharpen blades I just destroyed my sandpaper. Maybe you can help me. I'm a hands-on learning guy better than a youtube one LOL..
Yeah, theres a bit of a trick in not having the edge dig into the sandpaper when you push across it.. I do agree though, at some point we all need to grab lunch

I need cheaper hobby
post #6 of 9 Old 04-01-2015, 04:59 PM

View Big Dave's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to Big Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfail48 View Post
Yeah, theres a bit of a trick in not having the edge dig into the sandpaper when you push across it.. I do agree though, at some point we all need to grab lunch
Hey guys don't forget me. I'd like to come meet with ya.

Do one thing at a time, do it well, then move on.
www.bigdaveswoodworks.com
post #7 of 9 Old 04-01-2015, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
Hey guys don't forget me. I'd like to come meet with ya.
I said we all, I didnt forget you mate

I need cheaper hobby
post #8 of 9 Old 04-01-2015, 08:39 PM
Pain in the A$$

View Burb's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfail48 View Post
I said we all, I didnt forget you mate
Since my wife decided we were hosting this years family Easter festivities, this Sunday might work .... ...though I'm not sure I'd get a kitchen pass...

Mark

"Measuring is the enemy of accuracy." Chris Schwartz
post #9 of 9 Old 05-08-2015, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Village Idiot

So a quickk update to the plane i made, turns out i made a bit of a booboo. After i made it, the few test swipes i made werent perfect, but i didnt think too much of it, because i figured it was just my inexperience with setting the blade on a wooden plane. To an extent, it was, but it was more a bit of a, well, erm, an epic fail. Now, when i originally flattened the sole, i used my experience with metal planes as a guide, experience that experimentation taught me that it didnt matter if the blade was in the plane or not, because the sole didnt deflect enough to make a measurable difference in flatness. That was a mistake. to reiterate to those who, for some reason, listen to me when theyre running through a project:

That was a mistake

Now, on my metal planes that experience holds true, on all the ones ive cared to measure theres no deflection ive been able to measure, certainly not enough to affect my woodworking. My wooden plane, however, with the sides being made of 1/4 cherry, deflected. A lot. Holding up a straightedge, the base of the plane was rather reminiscent of a banana, which did a lot to explain why i couldnt seem to get a decent shaving no matter how i adjusted the iron. Fortunately, fixing was easy, i just did what i shouldve done right the first time. Stick the blade in with the edge retracted in the sole, scrub on some 100 grit paper on a flat surface, and hey presto, plane works fine and i can finish truing the edges on the canvas frames ive been making.

Shamless plug, if anybody here either paints or knows someone who does, and needs canvas but doesnt feel like making them or buying the crap ones from the art store, hit me up, im getting good at putting them together

I need cheaper hobby

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode