• 1 Post By fareastern
  • 1 Post By epicfail48
  • 1 Post By WeebyWoodWorker
  • 1 Post By johnep

post #1 of 15 Old 09-29-2018, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
In Ardua Tendit

View The Malcolm Moose's Photo Album My Photos
I have a plane and simple question

Good people, who have traveled from villages near and far, lend me your ears! ...and opinions!

Alright alright, I couldn't resist! So I have a small work bench that is about as level as a camel's back and I am going to plane it flat again, aaaaand me being a DIY kind of fellow, I decided I am going to build said plane myself. Now this was not a simple "oh erm, I think ima build a hand plane" kind of decision, I have been researching for weeks about all the necessary , angles, etc etc. But regardless of all that research, I cannot find the answer to a simple question: Is the chip breaker truly a necessary feature?. Now I know some folks will feel like I am spittin' in their grits for asking this, but I am curious because myself, and my father before me (Star Wars pun), have used planes that never knew such a thing as a chip breaker, and had no problems (but those were iron-shoe planes that had all manner of adjustable features).

Thank you for your time and opinions, folks!

-Moose

"We are what we repeatedly do; excellence, then, is not an act but a habit" -Aristotle

"In Ardua Tendit" "We strive for the difficult"- Malcolm Clan Motto

God bless the men and women serving this country at home and around the world.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-30-2018, 06:46 AM
johnep

View johnep's Photo Album My Photos
post #3 of 15 Old 09-30-2018, 01:12 PM

View gmercer_48083's Photo Album My Photos
Moose, No not really. I have made many wooden planes and none of them use a chip breaker. The main thing you will need to know is how to sharpen the iron. Most of my planes use 1/8" o-1 tool steel, and I heat treat them, then anneal them after grinding them to shape. After they are heat treated I hone to 8000 grit, then a final strop to finish. In your case you could buy a 2" wide plane iron and use it after a finish sharpening and it will work fine with no chip breaker. To make it easier to get the hump out of your benchtop you can shape the iron as a scrub plane (which has a radius on the cutting edge), and use winding sticks to get it roughly flat quickly. After that, switch to a straight iron to get the finish. As far as the wood for your plane, hard maple works well...but even straight grained pine does also (but it won't last as long). I say GO FOR IT!

Once you select you wood block you want the grain to run widthwise when looking at the end, and the grain rising from (heal) rear to (toe) front. I have used both 55 degree and 45 degree bed angles on my planes and use a 10 degree wedge on either. What type of plane are you considering?

Gary

Woodworking is like wetting myself....Only I know that warm feeling!

Last edited by gmercer_48083; 09-30-2018 at 01:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 09-30-2018, 04:07 PM

View fareastern's Photo Album My Photos
Since your intended project is initially for flattening a bench,the lack of a chip breaker won't be hugely significant.The odd small piece plucked out is hardly a disaster.There is no need to be too slavish about angles as long as the iron is well seated and firmly gripped by the wedge.Always remember that you can open the throat a bit if it tends to jam,but closing it up is a lot harder to do.I have made eight or nine planes that all work and have even made them to fit in confined spaces.It is a satisfying moment when you take the first clean shaving and the ability to make your own tools is something that elevates you above the masses who have to buy.

One of my best irons was cut from a damaged cold cutting metal saw and needed no heat treating.

For th body and wedge,you can use the traditional beech,maple or even black walnut.
gmercer_48083 likes this.
post #5 of 15 Old 09-30-2018, 06:54 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Hasnt been on any of the planes ive made. Never quite figured out the purpose for a chip breaker, it doesnt do much for breaking the chips its seems. My guess has always been that chipbreakers came about because they allowed manufacturers to use thinner blades, and theyre more stiffeners than anything else

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #6 of 15 Old 09-30-2018, 10:11 PM
Generic Weeb

View WeebyWoodWorker's Photo Album My Photos
Last plane I made the iron for it was about three sixteenths of a "Freedom Unit" thick. Works just fine. If you're just making a wooden one with just a wedge then you should be fine without one mate.

-T
post #7 of 15 Old 10-01-2018, 05:39 AM Thread Starter
In Ardua Tendit

@johnep1934: I have previewed many videos, but no one seems to go into adequate detail about the specifics of their design. The first video you linked I could never get through because some of the methods he uses make me wanna scream, haha.

@gmercer_48083: Luckily, sharpening is one of my strong suits. My Father began instructing me on that when I was 7 and I kept up the practice well into college. I currently own a variety of DMT diamond stones, spikes, high quality Arkansas stones (from soft up to black) and a few ceramics from Spyderco. I am well prepared, haha. The current iron I have is a Pinnacle 2" (a hair less than .125" thick) made of A2 steel with a 30 degree bevel (flat back). Wood wise? Oh I think I lucked out... I have an ample supply of Purpleheart, Curupay, some Bocote, and a nice block of African Blackwood I plan to use for the wedge. I would have used Ebony or Lignum Vitae for the wedge, but the former is a bit out of my price range and I cannot find the latter anywhere locally. I am torn between the Purpleheart or the Curupay for the main construction... or both... decisions decisions, haha.

@fareastern: Thanks for the info. I tend to enjoy a wooden plane's look. Don't get me wrong, mad love for iron planes, but the wooden planes have a traditional and elegant style that I cannot get over.

@epicfail48: Even that doesn't make sense to me because the lever cap is supposed to provide tension in addition to securing the iron, ya know? Plus from what I have seen, they are a pain in the neck to keep in service.

@WeebyWoodWorker: Cheers!

By the way, I forgot to mention to everyone what the end game is here. Long story short, I was recently bequeathed a set of plans that were made in the late 60s for some inlay projects my Grandfather had laid out, but never got to do on account of his falling ill and dying; I hope to complete his work. It's a massive project and the inlays are quite thin. With the current state of my work bench, I am worried the inlays will crack under the pressure of being manipulated on such an uneven surface.

"We are what we repeatedly do; excellence, then, is not an act but a habit" -Aristotle

Last edited by The Malcolm Moose; 10-01-2018 at 05:42 AM.
post #8 of 15 Old 10-01-2018, 05:50 AM
johnep

Thanks for all the clarification. Some years ago seem to remember a post about using old car springs (the real old fashioned ones not modern coils) to make plane blades.
Me, I would just cover the bench with a good piece of board. If area required is small, buy a panel made up of glued strips. I use such a board as my meat carving board, Dead level and I have used it for over 30 years.
johnep
mjadams61 likes this.
post #9 of 15 Old 10-02-2018, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
In Ardua Tendit

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnep1934 View Post
Thanks for all the clarification. Some years ago seem to remember a post about using old car springs (the real old fashioned ones not modern coils) to make plane blades.
Me, I would just cover the bench with a good piece of board. If area required is small, buy a panel made up of glued strips. I use such a board as my meat carving board, Dead level and I have used it for over 30 years.
johnep
I remember that. We used to make blades out of all kinds of things back on the farm (mainly railroad spikes). The black smith trade is yet another area of familiarity to me. Well, I am not sure what your definition of small is, but the tabletop is 2' by 4' and some of the inlays barely fit that dimension. When I built the bench I used 1/4x3" oak slats laid up in a kind of "brick" pattern, the end result looked great but I never took into consideration how much the individual pieces would shift over time. The picture below is of the center-part of the bench. Not really a traditional "bench" per say, but its build like a tank and doesn't have an shake when its used, so it suits my needs for right now.

-Moose
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20141221_001.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	287.3 KB
ID:	366822  

Last edited by The Malcolm Moose; 10-02-2018 at 02:05 AM.
post #10 of 15 Old 10-02-2018, 03:46 AM

View sunnybob's Photo Album My Photos
Power plane.
30 seconds start to finish.
Think of all the beer time I just got for you.

SunnyBob
my projects can be viewed here
http://www.pbase.com/john_cooper/bob...dwork_projects
post #11 of 15 Old 10-02-2018, 04:50 AM
johnep

Yes, Should be available at hire shops.
johnep
post #12 of 15 Old 10-02-2018, 05:33 AM Thread Starter
In Ardua Tendit

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnybob View Post
Power plane.
30 seconds start to finish.
Think of all the beer time I just got for you.
I live in an apartment, so no dust control, and I prefer hand tools in any case, haha.

-Moose

post #13 of 15 Old 10-02-2018, 05:35 AM

View sunnybob's Photo Album My Photos
Domestic vacuum cleaner fits straight to the power plane.
oh, yes, BEER.(lol)

SunnyBob
my projects can be viewed here
http://www.pbase.com/john_cooper/bob...dwork_projects
post #14 of 15 Old 10-02-2018, 08:51 AM

View gmercer_48083's Photo Album My Photos
Moose, How much of a hump in the bench?

Gary

Woodworking is like wetting myself....Only I know that warm feeling!
post #15 of 15 Old 10-02-2018, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
In Ardua Tendit

@sunnybob: I dont drink :)

@gmercer_48083: Name it and this table has it, lol...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode