how to mount a woodworking vise? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By woodnthings
  • 1 Post By Hammer1

post #1 of 10 Old 07-04-2016, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

View gj13us's Photo Album My Photos
how to mount a woodworking vise?

I'm following up to a post I made a while back under a different username--my bad memory and I sometimes don't get along--

I have this old vise: Littco 198.

I'm trying to mount it on a small "portable" work surface I've been putting together.

I cannot get the vise to square up. See picture. There's about a 1/4" difference side to side. I think it might have something to do with the bars that screw into the main body, but . . .

Anyone have any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vise.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	246577  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-04-2016, 04:15 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
That bugger is serious bent

The face of the vise where the handle is, is obviously bent. Put a tri-square on the smooth rods and see if it forms 90 degrees. I'll betcha it doesn't. There is no cure for that issue... except make a wedge shaped face to accommodate the bend.

If the rod is just crooked/bent then that may be an easier fix... I donno?

Do you know any blacksmiths?
FrankC likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
gj13us (07-04-2016)
post #3 of 10 Old 07-04-2016, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Oy. I'll try to make a wedge face.

Believe it or not, I have a friend who did blacksmithing. But he lives about 300 miles from here and his forge is probably about 300 miles in the opposite direction, if he still has it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 07-04-2016, 09:05 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Looks like you need to make up a wedge as suggested, if it is cast iron don't try to straighten it unless you know what you are doing.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
post #5 of 10 Old 07-04-2016, 09:12 PM
Raindrop Counter

View Jammersix's Photo Album My Photos
Why would you fight an old, bent vise?

"When I have your wounded." -- Major Charles L. Kelley, callsign "Dustoff", refusing to recognize that an LZ was too hot, moments before before being killed by a single shot, July 1, 1964.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-04-2016, 09:19 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
About the only thing you can do if you wish to use that vice is to install it crooked so it fits to the table. If it were going to mount it on a permanent work station it would be worthwhile purchasing a new or at least better vice.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-05-2016, 07:16 AM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
Good advice from previous posts. IMO it appears that the guide rod on the right side as the pic is shown is bent. Consider making a wooden plate to be mounted to the vice faceplate that will compensate for the "1/4" difference". Be safe.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-07-2016, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

I think it's a bad picture, because the face looks bent to me, too. In reality, the face of the vise isn't bent and I checked the guide rods for square to the face. The problem seems to be that the left side guide holes in the mounting bracket (?) are off. Thanks for the replies. I'll work out a solution.
post #9 of 10 Old 07-07-2016, 03:48 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
That face is bent

Quote:
Originally Posted by gj13us View Post
I think it's a bad picture, because the face looks bent to me, too. In reality, the face of the vise isn't bent and I checked the guide rods for square to the face. The problem seems to be that the left side guide holes in the mounting bracket (?) are off. Thanks for the replies. I'll work out a solution.
If it's not bent then I'll eat my key board. Show a photo of a straight edge placed across the face.

I thought that was the reason for the post in the first place? ]

Not certain what you mean by "left side guide holes are off " ... off from what?

If you take the vise entirely apart which wouldn't be a abd idea you can check componet for true, like thr round guide rods, the vice face and then you can clean the parts and paint those if you want. That's what I'd do before I mounted it.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #10 of 10 Old 07-18-2016, 11:31 PM

View Hammer1's Photo Album My Photos
That type of vice uses the front edge of the workbench for the fixed jaw. Most pro benches have vices set up that way so the front of the bench is flush. This helps with clamping support for long and/or large work. You can just hold the moveable jaw tight to the bench edge and attach through the mounting holes in the vice bracket. This will automatically cure alignment issues. Whether the cast face is bent or if the travel doesn't move parallel are separate issues. Vices get abused, sometimes severely. The center acme screw can get bent. It may or may not effect the vices operation. The guide rods just keep the moveable jaw from racking side to side, the screw does the work. Don't worry about problems until they actually are a problem, mount it and try it on scrap that mimics your bench.
gj13us likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode