Hand Planers dont have infeed and outfeed? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 3 Old 11-27-2011, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

View SamDaMan's Photo Album My Photos
Hand Planers dont have infeed and outfeed?

I didnt really know how to title this but one thing I can't figure out.

With jointers you set the blade so that the height of the blade is equal to that of the outfeed table. Then you set the infeed table a bit lower depending on the depth of cut you want.

Even with power hand planers you can do this.

With a non power hand planer the blade is set to protrude above the bed. As the bed is not split you cannot set the blade "even with the outfeed".

Does this cause hand planers to be less accurate then a jointer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-27-2011, 10:55 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
there is a difference

A jointer has two adjustable tables (usually) and the infeed is adjusted lower than the outfeed and cutter. When the work is fed over the cutter the down pressure is transferred to the outfeed as soon as practical. This insures that a straight/flat surface will proceed out over the outfeed table regardless of the irregularities of the wood on the infeed table....

In a hand plane with the blade protruding out the bottom, and taking a specific increment of cut, the nose of the plane follows the irregularities of the surface in front of the plane. The plane body is along for the ride, more or less. So you are correct it's less accurate and therefore requires more "skill" to flatten a surface with a hand plane. By checking with a straight edge and by using a longer based plane you can get the surface very close to flat through out.

When I use a jointer, I approach it much like using a hand plane to remove material where I see it needs to be removed, rather than just running the work over the cutter hoping for the best, straight and flat. I often flip the board end for end and remove the concavity either on an edge or on a surface gradually getting it more flat or straight.

I also use a board straighten jig on my tablesaw when the curve is extreme and would require many passes over the jointer for a straight edge. bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 11-27-2011 at 11:43 PM.
post #3 of 3 Old 11-27-2011, 11:11 PM

View WillemJM's Photo Album My Photos
LOL, I have been using hand planes for 40 years and really did not know how to answer that question. Good question and very good answer.

Here is a linky that explains the basics also.

http://www.handplane.com/66/thoughts...sole-flatness/
The Following User Says Thank You to WillemJM For This Useful Post:
woodnthings (11-28-2011)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode