a good user broad axe - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 09-02-2015, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

View GISer3546's Photo Album My Photos
a good user broad axe

Given my current lack of a saw mill I am starting to dabble with splitting larger logs (anything too big for my band saw) into slabs to be dried and used later.

Name:  Slab.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  99.7 KB

Currently my tools for working with green wood are limited to a big box store ax, a sledgehammer, and some steel wedges. My birthday is quickly approaching and I'm thinking of asking for some tools to make the process of shaping green wood easier. Something to get it in rough shape before drying, and the hand plane.

My first thought is a right handed broad/hewing axe but its tough to tell what I need, if a broad ax is in fact what I need, and where to find a good one. I am open to a used one but "fake" broad axes that were probably meant as decoration or a collectible seem pretty common. Equally as common are those that seem way too pricey ($500 - $700). What could I expect to pay for a decent middle of the road user broad ax, assuming that is what this work calls for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-02-2015, 10:38 AM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
Check out Lie Nielsen, they have short and long handled versions, about $300.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
post #3 of 8 Old 09-02-2015, 10:46 AM
Ole Woodworker

View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
Looks like you have that down to an art, that is pretty tough to bust wood that uniform. I don't know if a broad ax is the answer for you but I have seen many for around $100, but you would have to do some work on it. The rust only tempers the metal so it will hold an edge longer so don't discount a rusted one.

http://www.diychatroom.com/
The Other
BigJim

If you do what you've always done, you will get what you've always got.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 09-02-2015, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

I have looked at LN and they look great, priced about evenly with what Highland Woodworking has. I have started digging a little deeper on ebay, some nicer goosewing broad axes for close to $100. How difficult is it to shape your own handle given that some of these are just the head.
post #5 of 8 Old 09-02-2015, 10:54 AM

View hwebb99's Photo Album My Photos
A broad axe was used to make cross ties. They used a chopping axe to cut bugles ( not sure how to spell that ) then used a broad axe to split off the bugles and hewn ( not sure if that is the correct word ) the beam. I have several of my grandpas chopping axes, but he doesn't know what happened to the broad axes. His old chopping axes chop far faster than my tractor supply junker axe.
post #6 of 8 Old 09-02-2015, 01:57 PM

View Brian T.'s Photo Album My Photos
You should look at the variety of axes in a company which supplies the log home building industry. Before you jump to the Broadaxe page, hope you like the shack thrown up by Pioneer Log Homes.

http://www.logbuildingtools.ca/contact.html
post #7 of 8 Old 10-28-2015, 12:54 PM

View JeanBecnel's Photo Album My Photos
I can answer a lot of your axe and hewing questions, it's a subject I teach.

What type of work are you wanting to do exactly? I believe every woodworker, green or otherwise, should have a good felling axe, a hewing hatchet and a carpenters hatchet.
post #8 of 8 Old 11-09-2015, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

I'm mostly looking for something to get large slabs green or otherwise to rough shape before starting work with a handplane.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode