Good one handed bar clamps - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 09-02-2015, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

View gpeck's Photo Album My Photos
Good one handed bar clamps

Does anyone have an opinion on a good quality one hand bar clamp?
I see a lot of Irwin clamps. Are there better clamps out there?
Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-02-2015, 10:28 PM

View MEP1's Photo Album My Photos
I'd suggest going to a few stores and trying out a few brands to see which ones work best for you.

I've had several people tell me Irwin quick grips are the best thing since sliced bread, but I find them awkward to use and can't get good clamp pressure most of the time because of the angle where the handle ends up.
post #3 of 11 Old 09-03-2015, 07:38 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEP1 View Post
I'd suggest going to a few stores and trying out a few brands to see which ones work best for you.

I've had several people tell me Irwin quick grips are the best thing since sliced bread, but I find them awkward to use and can't get good clamp pressure most of the time because of the angle where the handle ends up.
Very good suggestion. Irwin clamps are good clamps if they fit your anatomy.

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 09-03-2015, 08:30 AM

View rcp612's Photo Album My Photos
I use and like the Irwin clamps. There are always reviews about various hand clamps that invariably complain that they don't produce enough pressure, but, I don't see that problem with mine.
Watch the bif box store specials and get a couple to try. I think you'll like them.

Do like you always do,,,, get what you always get!!
post #5 of 11 Old 09-03-2015, 09:00 AM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
Other brands to consider are Jorgensen and Bessey, which IMO are a bit more $ but better quality. As previously stated best that you "try out" what clamp feels right in your hand. Be safe.
post #6 of 11 Old 09-03-2015, 10:54 AM

View hwebb99's Photo Album My Photos
I am happy with my Irwin bar clamps. If you can find some of the old black ones at a yard sale or somewhere they are better than the new ones. Sometimes at least around here you can find them on sale at lowes for $26 for an 8 pack.
post #7 of 11 Old 09-03-2015, 06:03 PM

View NickDIY's Photo Album My Photos
The Highland Woodworking ones are very good quality and a really great value if you buy the 6 packs.
I like them better than the Irwins (I have lots of both). They have bigger bars, smoother handles and the "pads" on the Highland ones are molded in a way that let's you clamp down near the bar. Oh, and the mechanism to pull the end off to switch them to pusher's is much easier to use.

Quick Action Bar Clamps - Pack of 6
The Following User Says Thank You to NickDIY For This Useful Post:
MEP1 (09-03-2015)
post #8 of 11 Old 09-04-2015, 09:14 AM

View Carvel Loafer's Photo Album My Photos
I have a couple of 12" Irwin and like them a lot. I use them mostly for holding stuff to the bench, not so much for assembly. They don't have a lot of force but are not intended to. There are pipe clamps and such for real force.

I also have a pair of 24" Jorgensen, I really liked them at first until the head on one of them snapped off.

I haven't tried Bessey but I will be getting some, they look like the best quality to me but not very cheap in price. I've collected so many cheap clamps over the years and don't like using them, time to invest in best tools.

"Workin hard at loafin!"
post #9 of 11 Old 09-04-2015, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

View gpeck's Photo Album My Photos
I just ordered 6 of the clamps from Highland woodworking. They appear to be good quality, we shall see. The sale price is good as well.
Thanks for all the responses.
post #10 of 11 Old 09-05-2015, 05:58 PM

View Jfill1's Photo Album My Photos
Bessey and Irwin are both good. I personally use Pipe Clamps on just about every project, as you will see in my photo album on my profile. However... I do like Irwin a lot for what you're asking for and so do my friends and co workers who build cabinets all day. Even in our cab shop they will use Irwin on a daily basis.

Here is the best value online based on price alone right now https://catalog.afillinger.com/produ...7C2402378.html

$22.99+ $12 flat shipping= $34.99 +tax if applicable The shipping is $12 if you buy 1 or 100 which is cool if you need multiple items.

Only says 4 in stock but email me and I'll get more in next week Friday for you and ship them out Friday afternoon.
post #11 of 11 Old 09-05-2015, 08:04 PM

View mikeswoods's Photo Album My Photos
Tool Shop brand from Menards are my first choice--the heavy duty ones have performed better that the Irwins for me---Menards has them on sale for half price on a regular basis (usually when I don't need them)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode