Fulton Plane Fanatic - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By Red5hft

post #1 of 2 Old 03-10-2019, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

View Red5hft's Photo Album My Photos
Fulton Plane Fanatic

Here is my Fulton hand plane family to date. Fulton Tool Co. brand was launched by Sears, Roebuck and Co. in the fall of 1902 offering circular (wood mill) saw blades and handsaws. In the fall of 1904, the line of Fulton tools was expanded with a broad line of hand planes manufactured by Sargent & Co.

Manufactured mostly by Sargent & Co. and Millers Falls Co., Fulton served as the premier line of hand tools offered by Sears, Roebuck and Co. for 4 decades. The Fulton line was phased out in 1944 in favor of Sears, Roebuck and Co. latest in house brand, Craftsman.

The type study is going well and I have recently acquired a first edition Fulton plane from 1904-09 (No. 7 size far right). Also a rare Fulton combination plane made by Sargent Tool Co. (back right), only offered from 1925-27. This combination plane was chromium coated to inhibit rust, rather than the more expensive nickel plating.

I am very excited to finally be able to document and accurately place these fine historic tools on a timeline, something never available for the complete line of Fulton planes.

If you have a Fulton plane and would like to share photos with me to assist with my study, I will respond with any information I have on where your plane may fit in history. Please include the dimensions of the plane, clear photos of the complete plane, iron trademark, bed and cheek markings, depth adjuster, lateral adjuster and frog face.

Email: [email protected]

Also below are a couple of photos of other planes that have found new homes in the hands of genuine enthusiasts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FULTON COLLECTION.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	218.4 KB
ID:	372857  

Name:	FOWLER PLANE LEVER CAP.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	442.8 KB
ID:	372859  

Name:	Fulton 5272 Left Front Quarter.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	428.9 KB
ID:	372861  

Name:	IMG_0297.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	617.8 KB
ID:	372863  

Name:	STANLEY VICTOR No. 3 Left Front Quarter-min.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	423.5 KB
ID:	372865  

- Greg

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

"Whether you think you can, or you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-10-2019, 06:43 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I think it's great!

It's really great that you have preserved a bit of hand tool history! I still have my first handplane a 14" Miller's Falls, from the 1960's while I was in high school. My grandfather left me a wooden body plane which is a shop decoration, but still preserved. Nice collection!

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Tags
fulton handplane

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode