Flattening a 2 x 4 Face for Glue-Up - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By woodnthings
  • 2 Post By Buckmark13
  • 1 Post By FrankC

post #1 of 7 Old 04-29-2019, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

View reynolds087's Photo Album My Photos
Flattening a 2 x 4 Face for Glue-Up

I'm trying to flatten a couple of 2 x 4s so I can glue them up and use like 4 x 4 for a work bench I'm building. The problem is I spent like 2 hours on 4 of them, and honestly I feel like I made them even less flat than they started. Every time I think I have it, I put two of them together and there are huge gaps between them. I've tried using a straight edge and marking where the high spots are, but it's not helping very much. Any suggestions?
I'm using a No.4 plane on 35" pieces. I would have gotten a longer plane, but they were like at least three times the price anywhere I could find them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-29-2019, 07:13 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
make them both flat....?

You can make them both flat if you have a flat reference surface OR can use winding sticks and a straight edge. A reference surface will show you immediately where the twist is by pressing down and see how it rocks. Then you take the two high points down until it stops rocking. Repeat on the second piece until they don't rock and then see how they mate together. That's what I would do IF my 6" jointer blew up....

When you get them close, you can use several pieces of sandpaper and sticky tape on the reference surface and fine tune them.
JohnTC likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 04-29-2019 at 07:16 PM.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-29-2019, 07:43 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by reynolds087 View Post
I'm trying to flatten a couple of 2 x 4s so I can glue them up and use like 4 x 4 for a work bench I'm building. The problem is I spent like 2 hours on 4 of them, and honestly I feel like I made them even less flat than they started. Every time I think I have it, I put two of them together and there are huge gaps between them. I've tried using a straight edge and marking where the high spots are, but it's not helping very much. Any suggestions?
I'm using a No.4 plane on 35" pieces. I would have gotten a longer plane, but they were like at least three times the price anywhere I could find them.
What about using a western cedar or pressure treated 4x4? There are even places that have whitewood 4x4's but they are few and far between.

Making a 4x4 out of 2x4's would maybe only yield 3"x3" even if they were flat to begin with. The boards are now 1 1/2"x 3 1/2" with rounded over corners so you would need to trim 1/8" to 1/4" off each edge. You could maybe make 3 1/2"x 3 3/4" if you used 2x6's and a 1x6. It would give you some material to rip off the rounded corners.

It's just going to be a lot of work to hand plane lumber to glue up. They had us doing that in High School and as soon as I graduated I put up the plane and purchased a jointer. Still a lot of people do that out of choice. It may be your plane isn't sharp enough. In order for the plane to function properly it needs to be razor sharp. You just place the boards together and see where the high and low places are and take light shaves and keep putting the boards together to insure you are not taking too much wood off. It's just one of those things that require a lot of practice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-29-2019, 08:27 PM

View unburled's Photo Album My Photos
Never seen a woodshop bench that needed 4x4 legs. Design/effort/time/materials/money better spent on rigidity.

Kerouac, J.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-29-2019, 08:41 PM

View Buckmark13's Photo Album My Photos
Any suggestions?

Buy a 4 x 4.....
post #6 of 7 Old 04-30-2019, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

View reynolds087's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks everyone, you are probably right. I guess I will pony up the extra money and get some 4x4s, lol.
On the bright side, after about 6 hours of work I managed to get 3 of them flat. I suppose it was good practice for my actual purpose of the bench, which is to build guitars.
The boards only ended up being about 1 - 1/4 after flattening one side, so they would have been 3 - 1/2 x 2 - 1/2 after glueing.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-30-2019, 09:09 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
There are workbenches and there are workbenches, so I guess it depends on the kind you are building, if this is a utility grade project just glue the stock 2x4's together and trim them to 3x3 for the legs. If it is a show piece then that is another matter, but the bench will have no bearing on the quality of your guitars.
Jay C. White Cloud likes this.

ďEverything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.Ē
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode