First Plane - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of 37 Old 04-13-2016, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

View Scinzon's Photo Album My Photos
First Plane

I needed a plane and like the cheapskate mutt that I am I bough a cheap 14 plane and I spent fourteen hours trying to make her work...
Let us not talk about this again.
Until I use it to make something cool with. (Hint: it will not be a woodworking tool)

This was a few weeks ago and since then I decided to save and buy the best tools and never compromise.

What I need is to just remove lots of stock fast. I don't care if the plane leaves a rough finish; I actually prefer a rough finish that I can leave or sand off with my Belt Sander or some Sandpaper untill I get a Smoothing or Jointer Plane

I also need to be able to plane over knots. doing so with the horrendous P.O.S that I bough, ruined the blade; ON SOFT PINE!!!

So, I am eyeing this one:
http://www.axminster.co.uk/veritas-scrub-plane-ax724613

And this bad girl happens to be just within my budget.

But I know nothing about about Planes so I would gladly accept your two cents.
(I would accept bigger donations when I make a Patreon profile )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 04-21-2016, 02:13 AM Thread Starter

Or maybe I would be better with what Marc Spagnuolo suggests here?

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/to...handplane-need

That would be beyond my budged but still cheaper than a Jointer or a Planer or a Combination Jointer-Planer. More quieter too.

The problem is that I cannot test any of these tools. I know woodworkers but their planes are almost exclusively used as decorations and paper-weights. Market demands cheap Melamine and you don't plane melamine.
post #3 of 37 Old 04-21-2016, 02:48 AM

View john sayles's Photo Album My Photos
make your own scrub for little or no money by cambering the blade on a jack plane.

the scrub is the least demanding (in terms of precision) of any of the hand planes, and even after the "conversion" the jack is usable as a normal jack plane merely by dropping in a spare (non-cambered) iron.

save your $$ for all those other tools you know you're going to want.

google "convert jack plane to scrub plane" or some variation on that phrase, and you'll find a ton of ink on the subject.
The Following User Says Thank You to john sayles For This Useful Post:
Scinzon (04-21-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 Old 04-21-2016, 01:33 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scinzon View Post

But I know nothing about about Planes so I would gladly accept your two cents.
(I would accept bigger donations when I make a Patreon profile )
Here is my 2 cents:
Look at some of the furniture Masterpieces the old European Masters built. This was made with wooden block planes, before sandpaper was invented.
A high quality, expensive plane will not guarantee good results.
The plane is one of the most difficult hand tools to master. Many old "woodworkers" still can't use a hand plane worth a damn. That's the truth. Most any steel bedded plane is superior to a wood framed plane,
but the learning curve can be long. #1 rule: Keep the blade razor sharp.
Set the plane to remove the wood is thin strips you can almost see through. Hold the plane at a slight angle to the grain.
Good for your cardiovascular. Ha.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
The Following User Says Thank You to Toolman50 For This Useful Post:
Scinzon (04-21-2016)
post #5 of 37 Old 04-21-2016, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

john sayles, this is what I was going to do, but the best planes available here are the new Stanleys which contrary to the old Stanleys need a lot of tuning according to reviews.
I am not well equipped to perform these tasks on any metals and I know no one who can do that for me.

I am trying to get an old plane from someone but no one is selling at the moment. Trash-picking is another option; in that case, I will take the whole dumpster.

Toolman50
Thanks for your two cents! That makes sense.
Currently I am making rustic style projects using pallet wood. This can make a good practice. If I mess thing up, I will mess them up even more and make the project look really old and beaten up. Some will pay extra for that.

To be honest the learning curve does not scare me as much as having to tune up a really bad plane or refurbishing an old electric Jointer.

Also, a small metal detector for any nails and staples in the pallet-wood is in the works.

Exercise is always good.
post #6 of 37 Old 04-21-2016, 11:55 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scinzon View Post

Toolman50
Thanks for your two cents! That makes sense.
Currently I am making rustic style projects using pallet wood. This can make a good practice. If I mess thing up, I will mess them up even more and make the project look really old and beaten up. Some will pay extra for that.

If you're using old pallet wood, I don't think a fine-tuned plane will be needed. Some of those old pallets are toxic. It would probably be best if they were left in the sun for several months. I would not want wood that had been soaked in chemicals or chicken blood in my shop.
EVERYTHING goes on a pallet.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #7 of 37 Old 04-22-2016, 02:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman50 View Post
If you're using old pallet wood, I don't think a fine-tuned plane will be needed. Some of those old pallets are toxic. It would probably be best if they were left in the sun for several months. I would not want wood that had been soaked in chemicals or chicken blood in my shop.
EVERYTHING goes on a pallet.
I get the pallets from a pet store. They should not be very toxic. I wouldn't make kitchenware from this wood though...

Anyway, considering the options here, I will either have to go with tools that I cannot tune even a little, or order better ones from somewhere like the UK.

Having decided to avoid Stanley, Axminster Rider series is an option, but their blades are not so good according to reviews and I would need to get a better blade. With these costs combined, a Veritas or Lie Nielsen are just a few dollars more.

Chicken blood ain't that bad. Use hot air or a torch and everything will be disinfected. Not that I would pick any pallets that have blood on them...
post #8 of 37 Old 05-02-2016, 02:59 PM

View Young347's Photo Album My Photos
I am with you I hate buying tools that are **** rather pay the money and do it once then deal with **** tools and in the end buy the nicer stuff from the very beginning. I personally am looking at the Lie Nielson. And Clifton brand stuff but at 250-400 each hand plane I am going to wait until I have more experience in wood joinery to make hose purchases. But until then I am going to buy any good deals I come across flea markets yard sale eBay stuff like that I purchased in the last 2 weeks my first hand plane and also 3 others. I noticed with older tools here is still quality for cheap prices :). These are the planes I purchased a

Stanley Bailey type 11 #5 made in 1910-1918
Stanley Bailey type 15 #3 made in 1932 or somewhere around there
Standely model #190 rabbit plane
Stanley made in England in like 1970 ( piece of **** compared to he others plastic handles I am giving it away

For me I did some research and here is what I have decided for cheap so under 30 dollars per plane and nothing newer then a type 15 Stanley Bailey. This is a rule I am going to go by to save myself from wasting money on a crap product. I am not saying the new Stanley's aren't good but If I am going to buy old tools I want them to be nice and sturdy! These planes will be rusted and nasty but invest in equipment and stuff to clean them up is worth it. The type 11 I just refurbished is amazing and after I do upgrade no need to sale because they are vintage and nice to just have around to keep even if your not using them if that makes since to you so the money spent on them is not really a waste if you upgrade later. Here is a picture of the plane I just refurbished myself first time ever refurbishing anything

End the end you can have great quality and cheap! Just make sure to know what to look for to get both. These planes came be bought for 10-30 USD I set my self at a $30 max purchase price and it was fun to refurbish it also and you learn a lot about the tools at he same time

Before picture and an after picture
Attached Images

Last edited by Young347; 05-02-2016 at 03:02 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Young347 For This Useful Post:
Scinzon (05-04-2016)
post #9 of 37 Old 05-02-2016, 03:05 PM

View Young347's Photo Album My Photos
Also after I finished refurbishing the plane I am having trouble with it but.... I am pretty damn sure it's my fault due to me not setting the plane up correctly with the chip breaker and the mouth of the plane and fog so when I get home today I am going to regions the chip breaker and reset the frog and mouth also doesn't help I don't have a work bench so testing is a bitch.
The Following User Says Thank You to Young347 For This Useful Post:
Scinzon (05-04-2016)
post #10 of 37 Old 05-03-2016, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

If I find a good old plane, she is coming home.
But to be honest, I never found any tools in the trash, save for toy tools, and in the only flea market around you can find all kinds of excrement but usually no tools. No one here really wants old tools so they end up in scrap yards. If you know the right person and you ask at the right time or if you happen to be at the right place at the right time, this is another story and you are very lucky if it happens.

Ordering online is not worth it. Outside the E.U customs will charge as much taxes that it will equal the price of a brand new Lie Nielsen from Axminster or an other European store.
From inside the E.U, shipping from a civilian or a small business would be €30-ish, adding to a sum of about €100 including refurbishing supplies and all the extra costs. Add another €100 and you can afford a brand new Lie Nielsen.

Amazing work refurbishing that plane!
post #11 of 37 Old 05-03-2016, 08:03 PM

View trentwilson43056's Photo Album My Photos
If you wan't my advice here is the plane I would buy or one like it.This is the first plane I bought and since I've learned to use it and keep it sharp have since picked up a few good quality used ones.I am getting ready to modify it into a scrub plane.I would modify it to a scrub plane which would just take some blade grinding and sharpening..You wont have much money in it and if you can't master it you will have the same problems that you would have with a $175 Veritas and only be out a little money..Scrub plane depth adjustment is not as critical as say a bench plane.However it must be super sharp.If you could master that then I would think about a Veritas or Lie Nielson.Here it is. http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-12-404...ds=bench+plane
The Following User Says Thank You to trentwilson43056 For This Useful Post:
Scinzon (05-04-2016)
post #12 of 37 Old 05-03-2016, 08:10 PM

Nice job on that plane.Hey you know you can pick up old Craftsman planes for a song and they're perfectly good quality planes.I picked this one up at a flea market for $20 and the blade was already sharpened.All I've done is put it to use it up to this day
Attached Images

Last edited by trentwilson43056; 05-03-2016 at 08:17 PM.
Scinzon (05-04-2016)
post #13 of 37 Old 05-03-2016, 08:25 PM

Youtube for scrub plane basics and conversion.Here's your neighbor Scinzon and my go to guy for this kind of stuff.
Scinzon (05-04-2016)
post #14 of 37 Old 05-03-2016, 09:07 PM

This will help you immensely with adjusting whichever plane you get be it cheap or expensive.
Scinzon (05-04-2016)
post #15 of 37 Old 05-04-2016, 01:42 AM

View jeremymcon's Photo Album My Photos
You won't go wrong with the veritas planes! However, they are really really expensive. I think a veritas brand Scrub plane is the last one I'd buy! Any plane can be used as a Scrub plane as long as the iron is decent. Buy an old coffin smoother, and camber the iron. Or any old jack plane and do the same.

Or hell, if you're buying veritas, get a veritas jack plane, and buy an extra iron! Put a heavy camber on that second iron and swap it out to use the plane as a scrub plane. Then you'll also have a very functional jack plane.

I'm not sure why you'd rule out old Stanley's just because they're in rough shape... The plane in a previous post that was refurbished looked rough initially, and a lot of work was done to make it shiny again. However, if the moving parts still move, and the rust is all only surface rust, all that plane needed to be functional was for the blade to be sharpened! I use one that is similarly rusty, and it works great! The sole was still flat, and some steel wool removed the surface rust on the sole. I just left it on most of the rest of the plane.
The Following User Says Thank You to jeremymcon For This Useful Post:
Scinzon (05-04-2016)
post #16 of 37 Old 05-04-2016, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Veritas and Lie Nielsen might be expensive, but you have to do no tuning other than perhaps sharpening the blade a little or changing the secondary bevel angle.
I am not a particularly lazy person; the reason I would avoid any tuning is that I do not have the tools and jigs for the job and also a really bad plane will require days or weeks of work and it might not worth it at the end (unless you have access to a machinist's workshop). I would prefer to refurbish a century old Stanley instead.

New Stanleys get really bad reviews. They can be as the trash made in Asia for the cheapskates in the western market, or decent. However, most reviews agree that the new irons are not very good and should be replaced.

SB4s do not seem to be available here. Only SB3s for 30-40.

I was thinking going with a jack plane, but will modifying a blade and using the plane as a scrub effect any warranty?

I am also considering this one, thanks to Marc Spagnuolo: http://www.axminster.co.uk/lie-niels...k-plane-421008
Because of my limited budget (this one will require like 95% of it :P) and space this makes better sense, especially since I am beginner and I have lots of things to learn.

As for sharpening, I have sharpened knifes and chisels before. It takes time because I am not skilled with Bench Grinders and I prefer the control of working slowly by hand, but the resulting blades are scary sharp. All the chisels that I use in my Wooden Shotglass video were sharpened by me.
https://youtu.be/xMedsaq-dE8?t=597
post #17 of 37 Old 05-04-2016, 05:09 PM

That low angle Veritas jack plane probably will not work for a scrub plane.If you're set on a good quality plane I'd stick to a standard angle.
Scinzon (05-05-2016)
post #18 of 37 Old 05-04-2016, 06:39 PM

Hey guys look what the UPS truck dropped off today.It's beautiful.
Attached Images

Scinzon (05-05-2016)
post #19 of 37 Old 05-04-2016, 06:50 PM
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
What did it set you back if you don't mind me asking

The tools don't make the craftsman....
The Following User Says Thank You to ryan50hrl For This Useful Post:
Scinzon (05-05-2016)
post #20 of 37 Old 05-05-2016, 01:35 AM

View jeremymcon's Photo Album My Photos
Warranty? I'd never thought about a warranty on a plane. I mean, what could possibly break? And all you'd be changing is the profile of the blade. I think it's a little silly to think that sharpening a blade could void a warranty.

I still have a hard time believing that you can't find old stanley jack planes on eBay for a reasonable price, but I suppose you've done your research.

The low angle jack might be nice to have around, but I'm not sure how it'll do as a scrub plane. Also, if you haven't really used many planes before, it might be best to get something a bit more standard/traditional to get a better grasp of what exactly you want in a plane. I know you have used that cheap modern plane, but since it is so low quality I'm not sure it counts.

Anyway good luck figuring out how to spend that money that seems to be burning a hole in your pocket! I hope you find what you're looking for.
The Following User Says Thank You to jeremymcon For This Useful Post:
Scinzon (05-05-2016)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode