Finished restoring my Stanley Bedrock #607 *Pic heavy! - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 12-31-2013, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
afx

View afx's Photo Album My Photos
Finished restoring my Stanley Bedrock #607 *Pic heavy!

I debated on making a thread and updating it but I thought it would be better to just let it all out at once since it took me so long to finish.

To start, I bought an old Stanley Bedrock off craigslist for $40 HERE

Pictures of the plane he emailed to me before I bought it.

It was in rough shape to say the least, but it looked structurally solid. First thing I needed to do was get rid of the rust. I bought a bottle of EVAPORUST from Harbor Freight for like $8 and that was one of the best purchases I could have made. Since the plane is nearly 2 feet long, I didn't have anything I could soak it in so I just used one of those vacuum food saver bags.

More detailed photos before the rust removal.

The bag set up

Next was getting the Japanning off. That was easy since I have a sandblaster. I just gave it a once over and went straight to priming. I used an engine primer. I've read that people who do this more than I do think highly of the engine primer and high heat engine paint VS Japanning. I skipped photos of me painting it. Actually, I forgot heh.

Then came the fun part. While the 8 coats of engine paint were curing, I made a new tote and handle since the old ones were broken. When I made the handle, I wanted to make it a bit thicker than normal since I have sausage fingers. I also wanted to give it a grip because of the way my hand tends to rest on hand planes (my pinky is usually hanging off the side) I cut both the tote and handle out of Bocote because it's so rigid and finishes up super nice. Funny thing was I cut them both off of a large blank of wood and the color turned out so different.

This photo is what I used to make the grip, I used a hand file and stuck my turning sandpaper to it. It worked perfectly.

I also made the handle a little thicker. MUCH more comfortable

Last edited by afx; 12-31-2013 at 09:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-31-2013, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
afx

I finished up to this point about a month ago, I spent the last month (when I had time) tuning it and making it flat, great thing was that it didn't require much in the flattening department. I took each individual screw and polished it clean. I spent a good amount of time getting the sides and bottom polished up, I even cleaned out the corrugated valleys on the bottom.

I decided to keep the original blade,chip breaker but I might move to an IBC or HOCK kit later on. I sharpened the blade on my TORMEK and it cuts beautifully. I might just keep it as is.

Final Product

THANKS FOR LOOKING!
post #3 of 8 Old 12-31-2013, 09:29 PM

View adot45's Photo Album My Photos
Looks Great!, Nice job
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 12-31-2013, 09:56 PM
Ole Woodworker

View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
Beautiful, absolutely beautiful. $40, man you stole that plane. You did a great job restoring it.

http://www.diychatroom.com/
The Other
BigJim

If you do what you've always done, you will get what you've always got.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-01-2014, 01:25 AM

View acowboy's Photo Album My Photos
Am impressed, great job, hope to see more of your work.

I don't have any "part planes" I keep restoring them.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-01-2014, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
afx

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiju1943 View Post
Beautiful, absolutely beautiful. $40, man you stole that plane. You did a great job restoring it.

Thanks bud, I appreciate it.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-01-2014, 02:38 PM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
Nice score on the plane and great job on the restoration.

One of the few benefits of the corrugated sole is perhaps easier to flatten.

I also like to use thicker tote and knob when I make replacements. Easier to grip.

Before you replace the blade consider replacing the chip breaker. This may give you better bang for the buck than a new blade.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/pag...68&cat=1,41182

Another forum member ryan50hrl was having issues with shavings getting under the cap iron of a vintage Stanley No. 5. I sent him a different vintage blade and cap iron to try and also a Veritas new cap iron. He really like the Veritas and said it was a no contest better performer, so bought this from me.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-01-2014, 10:37 PM

View Ted Tolstad's Photo Album My Photos
Very nice....looks great

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode