Early Christmas present - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By TomCT2
  • 1 Post By vicegrip

post #1 of 7 Old 12-22-2017, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
I Like Pizza!

View vicegrip's Photo Album My Photos
Early Christmas present

This is my first woodworking vice. Is it supposed to snap slightly as the vice handle is turned? The slot that runs along the gear spindle and the other flat gear half is causing it as I turn the handle. Also was $40 a reasonable price?
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-22-2017, 12:40 PM

View TomCT2's Photo Album My Photos
not sure what you describe as a 'snap' - but most vise of that design have an 'interrupted screw' which if turned slightly counter clockwise allows you to pull it open (without turning the handle) - i.e. a 'fast acting' type theory.

there's a hunk-o-metal where the screw goes thru that rotates a partial rev when you do that - if the threads are sticky you may get more of a 'thunk' or 'clunk' as the 'ears' on the hub hit their stops.

oh, 'name' brands aka Jorgensen go for about $100 in a 6-8 inch size.
dump the pipe handle - go with ash, much prettier.
Catpower and vicegrip like this.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-25-2017, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
I Like Pizza!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCT2 View Post
not sure what you describe as a 'snap' - but most vise of that design have an 'interrupted screw' which if turned slightly counter clockwise allows you to pull it open (without turning the handle) - i.e. a 'fast acting' type theory.

there's a hunk-o-metal where the screw goes thru that rotates a partial rev when you do that - if the threads are sticky you may get more of a 'thunk' or 'clunk' as the 'ears' on the hub hit their stops.

oh, 'name' brands aka Jorgensen go for about $100 in a 6-8 inch size.
dump the pipe handle - go with ash, much prettier.
Thanks for the reply. I guess there is more of a thunk than a snap when I rotate the handle. Of course that was happening with the vice not being mounted. I will inspect more thoroughly when I start playing with it, and I will definitely replace the handle, and try to get the paint spots off too. I was hoping to play around yesterday in between Church services, but got caught up in a hospital visit and then grocery shopping with the Mrs. Have to work today and tomorrow, but Wednesday or Thursday is shop day, and I am going to make the most of it. Hope you have a Merry Christmas!
Catpower likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-25-2017, 11:30 AM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
Tom was right about the quick acting thing, but he hasn't been shopping for them lately, a Jorgensen is closer to $200,my wife bought me one about 30 years ago for $80, good vices although yours might not be a Jorgensen it looks like a good tool
post #5 of 7 Old 12-25-2017, 12:28 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
strip her down and get the rust off..

Before you mount it get it all stripped down and a coat of Machinery Grey would look nice. That pipe handle will bite your flesh when it drops down on your open palm. The rods probably unscrew so you can get them cleaned off. Use a 1/1/2" wide strip of sandpaper backed with duct tape and see-saw back and forth around them, it works great.

Some vices are OK to have ... just sayin'

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #6 of 7 Old 12-25-2017, 01:13 PM

View WesTex's Photo Album My Photos
And some vises are not. This one looks like a keeper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 7 Old 12-25-2017, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
I Like Pizza!

Thanks you guys for the responses and the restoration tips. I am glad it seems to be a decent buy. I will keep y'all updated on its progress.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode