View DrRobert's Photo Album My Photos
E Tapes

Anyone have an experience with these?

Robert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-15-2020, 11:19 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
It would be nice on an inside measurement, but do not see it useful for outside.

George
post #3 of 8 Old 07-15-2020, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

View DrRobert's Photo Album My Photos
I think it will help me make less mistakes reading the tape. 65 yr old eyes, you know :-)

Robert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 07-15-2020, 02:57 PM

View Alchymist's Photo Album My Photos
Have my doubts as to usefulness. Many times when I'm using a tape measure - table saw or chop saw especially, I pull the tape out further than the distance I'm trying to measure. When measuring to a point beyond my reach I pull the tape way out and push it in a loop into a corner to get a reading. Daughter gave me one a while back that read tape extension and had a calculator. Don't use it much, I rely on my Stanley and my 18 and 36" aluminum yard sticks.
GeorgeC likes this.

Alexis de Tocqueville was a very smart man.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-15-2020, 09:33 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
The batteries will be dead every time you need it

Every. Single. Time

Im not a fan of electronic metrology gear, especially not inexpensive stuff. Yeah, its convenient, right up until its a massive pain in the ass because the battery is dead or sawdust is gumming up a contact or calibration is off somewhere. Looks like that tape in particular is reading the barcode in the center of the tape, i guarantee that the slightest scratch or blemish on it will absolutely destroy the accuracy of the display. Apparently theres also issues on how fast the unit can actually read the tape, so if you pull out the tape too fast, you get an inaccurate measurement.

Again, not fond of batteries in measurement tools, on the low end of things. Go up the price range to get gear thats ip54 rated or similar and wont die the first time dust blows near it and i warm up to batteries a bit, but a $200 Mitutoyo micrometer isnt exactly what were talking about here.

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #6 of 8 Old 07-16-2020, 09:12 AM

View Alchymist's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfail48 View Post

Every. Single. Time

Im not a fan of electronic metrology gear, especially not inexpensive stuff. Yeah, its convenient, right up until its a massive pain in the ass because the battery is dead or sawdust is gumming up a contact or calibration is off somewhere. Looks like that tape in particular is reading the barcode in the center of the tape, i guarantee that the slightest scratch or blemish on it will absolutely destroy the accuracy of the display. Apparently theres also issues on how fast the unit can actually read the tape, so if you pull out the tape too fast, you get an inaccurate measurement.

Again, not fond of batteries in measurement tools, on the low end of things. Go up the price range to get gear thats ip54 rated or similar and wont die the first time dust blows near it and i warm up to batteries a bit, but a $200 Mitutoyo micrometer isnt exactly what were talking about here.
I do have a couple battery operated measurement tools that I use often - a Wixy angle gauge, and an infrared thermometer gun which can be handy on occasion. I did buy a cheap set of calipers that read in decimal. metric and fractional units. Seldom use it in anything but decimal, and it resides in the draw of my pen making tool box. I see little benefit to it over my Mitutoyo dial calipers. All my other tools are mechanical.

Alexis de Tocqueville was a very smart man.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-16-2020, 06:16 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchymist View Post
I do have a couple battery operated measurement tools that I use often - a Wixy angle gauge, and an infrared thermometer gun which can be handy on occasion. I did buy a cheap set of calipers that read in decimal. metric and fractional units. Seldom use it in anything but decimal, and it resides in the draw of my pen making tool box. I see little benefit to it over my Mitutoyo dial calipers. All my other tools are mechanical.
Yeah, Wixy makes some decent stuff. I have their DROs on my table saw and thickness planer

&%*$# batteries are dead right now though

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #8 of 8 Old 07-19-2020, 04:12 PM

View _Ogre's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfail48 View Post

Every. Single. Time
and why complicate the simplest tool in our shop
it still has a hook that will take away accuracy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode