Dove tail saws - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 12-29-2014, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Tool Fanactic

View WarnerConstInc.'s Photo Album My Photos
Dove tail saws

Looking to get a dove tail saw. I really like the Gramercy tools saw, a friend said that his favorite is a Black Burn tools (10 month wait).

Read good things and bad about numerous saws.

Not sure if I should start out with a more cost effective saw now and then buy something better/nicer?

Any recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-29-2014, 08:31 PM

View mengtian's Photo Album My Photos
I have a Veritas which I use daily for either a project or practice. It does me just fine. Got it at Woodcraft. I am thinking about going with a Japanese saw in the future.

I used a friends 200 dollar saw and I did not do any better dovetails with that.
post #3 of 10 Old 12-29-2014, 09:27 PM

View BZawat's Photo Album My Photos
I have a Lie-Nielsen tapered dovetail saw that I absolutely love. Cost me 100 bucks and it was worth every penny. Actually, I like it so much that I bought their 14" crosscut carcass saw too. They are both an absolute pleasure to use. I honestly can't imagine how a saw that costs 2-3x as much could possibly be worth the extra money when this one cuts so sweet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 12-30-2014, 12:01 AM

View asevereid's Photo Album My Photos
Warner, I think you should go on out to an auction and pick up a nice turn of the century dovetail saw, and then do a lengthy, detailed restoration thread for us :D

Honestly, I couldn't recommend one...I've been using the same flea-market one for a year now and it's been just fine. Sorry though...can't recall the make...I lost the etching in the restoration.
post #5 of 10 Old 12-31-2014, 09:44 AM

View Derek Cohen's Photo Album My Photos
If this is your first Western dovetail saw, then get the Veritas 14 ppi rip dovetail saw. This is is the easiest to start of all the premium dovetail saws, is comfortable and balanced, and probably the cheapest of all.

Unless you are versed in sharpening, leave the vintage saws alone.

I like (and own) LN, Grammercy and Wenzloff, but would argue that they are saws for more advanced sawyers.

Regards from Perth

Derek
post #6 of 10 Old 12-31-2014, 12:30 PM

View Lola Ranch's Photo Album My Photos
I have and enjoy using the Veritas DT saw. But cutting situations are variable and it's nice to have other options. I might suggest a Japanese Dozuki pull saw, which I use more often than the Veritas. I would not even attempt to sharpen my Dozuki but I've only had to replace the blade once on 35 years.

Bret
post #7 of 10 Old 01-25-2015, 01:56 AM

View jacko9's Photo Album My Photos
dovetail saw

Unless your stuck on a western saw, the Japanese dovetail saws are a bargain recently. I purchased my first two Japanese Dovetail saws over 35 years ago and they were really pricy. I wanted a cheaper version recently so after reading a review in fine woodworking, I bought the Z Saw from Rockler on Amazon for $46. This is a pull saw with a 0.016 thick blade that will give you a straight line cut time after time.

Jack
post #8 of 10 Old 01-25-2015, 10:18 AM

View Paul_R's Photo Album My Photos
Until I discovered Japanese saws I never would attempt to saw anything by hand other than rough framing where a clean square cut wasn't really required. I've tried quite a few and all work better for me than western saws but the absolute bomb for dovetails it this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Shark-10-2410-.../dp/B00004TBQ2
post #9 of 10 Old 04-05-2015, 04:50 AM

View blackpearl's Photo Album My Photos
Sorry for a deviation, folk.
I live in India and the availability of tools is very limited. The brands you mention are far from likely to be found on a shop shelf here.
I have a question:
If I were to shop for a saw to do dovetails, What should I look for? I mean, I think it should have fine teeth. Should the teeth be set? etc., etc. I would apreciate some advise...
I tried my first dovetail experiment with a hacksaw and chisel, the outcome was not too bad.
john
post #10 of 10 Old 04-05-2015, 10:06 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
the physics of pull saws....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_R View Post
Until I discovered Japanese saws I never would attempt to saw anything by hand other than rough framing where a clean square cut wasn't really required. I've tried quite a few and all work better for me than western saws but the absolute bomb for dovetails it this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Shark-10-2410-.../dp/B00004TBQ2
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpearl View Post
Sorry for a deviation, folk.
I live in India and the availability of tools is very limited. The brands you mention are far from likely to be found on a shop shelf here.
I have a question:
If I were to shop for a saw to do dovetails, What should I look for? I mean, I think it should have fine teeth. Should the teeth be set? etc., etc. I would apreciate some advise...
I tried my first dovetail experiment with a hacksaw and chisel, the outcome was not too bad.
john
If you had reversed the blade in the hacksaw to make it "pull saw" your results would have been even better. By pulling the blade through the material rather than pushing on it, it will self straighten, giving a true cut.
Think about a rope, pushing won't do anything, pulling on it will work. When you push on a blade without a stiff back spine it will tend to bow out from the forces resisting in the material and pushing to overcome that resistance.

I like the Vaughn pull saws, from Amazon for general purpose cutting, but I do not hand cut dovetails so they may not be suitable.
http://www.amazon.com/Vaughan-BS240P.../dp/B00004Z2WO

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode