Double Square with Stop??? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By DrRobert
  • 1 Post By alecralston
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 07-12-2020, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 14
View donayre21's Photo Album My Photos
Question Double Square with Stop???

Hi Guys, welcome to my second question on this website. Hopefully, all of you are doing great because I am still trying to find an actual double square that doesnít cost 70 dollars and has not been discontinued......


Have any of you had any luck finding a combination square that has similar qualitiesas the woodpecker brand, I REALLY love how you can adjusted it (similar to a combination square) and most importantly it has a sliding stop to prevent the tool from falling off from the work piece. I been using a combination square the past month or so and missing this stop drives me crazy.

Anyways feel free to share if you ahve found anyhting, thank you and have a great day.
donayre21 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 Old 07-13-2020, 10:42 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Troy Michigan USA
Posts: 1,224
View gmercer_48083's Photo Album My Photos
have you looked at Taylor?
https://taytools.com/collections/too...suring-squares

Gary

Woodworking is like wetting myself....Only I know that warm feeling!
gmercer_48083 is offline  
post #3 of 17 Old 07-13-2020, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 14
View donayre21's Photo Album My Photos
Great suggestion but I'm looking for one that has a stop to prevent the tool from flipping down due to its weight.
donayre21 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 17 Old 07-14-2020, 09:36 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 2,842
View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
So far, the only one I have seen with a stop like that is your post about the Woodpeckers square.

I have bought Woodpeckers products, but only when no other option was available. I find their tools very well designed, but overpriced. They are frequently the superior tools in their class, but often you can find something that does the main job for 1/5 the price. The less expensive traditional tool will do the job just as accurately, but without the small conveniences. I would rather live without those conveniences and pocket the difference in price.

In the case of a double square, I just ordered a 4 inch double square to replace the one that has hidden itself somewhere. I ordered an iGauging square for less than $20. It doesn't have the sliding stop. I can keep the blade and fence flat myself for the extra $50 difference.
Tool Agnostic is offline  
post #5 of 17 Old 07-14-2020, 10:00 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: NE FL
Posts: 616
View DrRobert's Photo Album My Photos
The inch indexing is handy, other than that, for me, it’s gimmicky. I have a dovetail marker, and I use a marking gauge to layout tenons/mortises or scribing a parallel line.

When marking board edges I use a small engineer square.

Not sure what your problem is, just keep a finger on the blade and don’t use too big a square.
gmercer_48083 likes this.

Robert
DrRobert is offline  
post #6 of 17 Old 07-14-2020, 10:39 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 66
View Dave McCann's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by donayre21 View Post
I been using a combination square the past month or so and missing this stop drives me crazy.
If you "miss" using your square that has this stop, why are you not using it?
Dave McCann is offline  
post #7 of 17 Old 07-14-2020, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 14
View donayre21's Photo Album My Photos
I miss spoke, I meant I would like to have this stop but many tools miss to add this detail.
donayre21 is offline  
post #8 of 17 Old 07-14-2020, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 14
View donayre21's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRobert View Post
The inch indexing is handy, other than that, for me, itís gimmicky. I have a dovetail marker, and I use a marking gauge to layout tenons/mortises or scribing a parallel line.

When marking board edges I use a small engineer square.

Not sure what your problem is, just keep a finger on the blade and donít use too big a square.
My problem is that it that the entire thing rotates,I could care less about the dove tail feature. I just want a stop to be included.
donayre21 is offline  
post #9 of 17 Old 07-15-2020, 12:39 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 2
View alecralston's Photo Album My Photos
I actually ordered that joinery double square from Woodpeckers because I liked the idea of that stop, the inch indexing pin and because I had some extra money burning a hole in my pocket from a commission that paid well...I have the Woodpeckers double square also...the only other product I've splurged on from Woodpeckers.

I like the combo and double squares they sold because the ruler is much wider than normal so you don't need the balancing stop on the end (only the dovetail squares have it). But then I bought the dovetail square because I could use a good dovetail marker and it is a better size to fit in an apron pocket...smaller than their smallest double square which is much more bulky than any 4" or 6" double square from iGaging or Starrett.

I'd say buy the iGaging 4" and 6" double square pack for $26 from chipsfly.com and file the edges on the locking screw so it feels as smooth as a higher priced model...or get a PEC blemish square from Taytools or from Rob Cosman's website. If you really want a dovetail square, Woodpeckers may open up orders again for a few days when it gets close to the delivery date...all of the dovetail, double, and combo squares are one-time tools that you have to pre-order months in advance. Delivery date for the dovetail squares is 8/31/20
alecralston is offline  
post #10 of 17 Old 07-15-2020, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 14
View donayre21's Photo Album My Photos
donayre21

Quote:
Originally Posted by alecralston View Post
I actually ordered that joinery double square from Woodpeckers because I liked the idea of that stop, the inch indexing pin and because I had some extra money burning a hole in my pocket from a commission that paid well...I have the Woodpeckers double square also...the only other product I've splurged on from Woodpeckers.

I like the combo and double squares they sold because the ruler is much wider than normal so you don't need the balancing stop on the end (only the dovetail squares have it). But then I bought the dovetail square because I could use a good dovetail marker and it is a better size to fit in an apron pocket...smaller than their smallest double square which is much more bulky than any 4" or 6" double square from iGaging or Starrett.

I'd say buy the iGaging 4" and 6" double square pack for $26 from chipsfly.com and file the edges on the locking screw so it feels as smooth as a higher priced model...or get a PEC blemish square from Taytools or from Rob Cosman's website. If you really want a dovetail square, Woodpeckers may open up orders again for a few days when it gets close to the delivery date...all of the dovetail, double, and combo squares are one-time tools that you have to pre-order months in advance. Delivery date for the dovetail squares is 8/31/20
I'm looking for a double square with a stop, to prevent it from rotating.
donayre21 is offline  
post #11 of 17 Old 07-15-2020, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 14
View donayre21's Photo Album My Photos
A double square with a SLIDING STOP. Basically a try square that has a ruler that can be adjusted in length, that is all that I want. Please do not suggest a double square that does not have a stop.
donayre21 is offline  
post #12 of 17 Old 07-16-2020, 05:55 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 2
View alecralston's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by donayre21 View Post
A double square with a SLIDING STOP. Basically a try square that has a ruler that can be adjusted in length, that is all that I want. Please do not suggest a double square that does not have a stop.
I was just giving my experience. No need to be rude when I'm just trying to help...I gave other options because the Woodpeckers joinery square is the only one including a stop like that...
Tool Agnostic likes this.

Last edited by alecralston; 07-16-2020 at 05:57 AM.
alecralston is offline  
post #13 of 17 Old 07-16-2020, 08:24 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Troy Michigan USA
Posts: 1,224
View gmercer_48083's Photo Album My Photos
Looks like that is the only brand available at this time. You may have to wait awhile for another manufacturer to follow suit. Good luck!

Gary

Woodworking is like wetting myself....Only I know that warm feeling!
gmercer_48083 is offline  
post #14 of 17 Old 07-16-2020, 12:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 2,842
View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
I wonder whether Woodpeckers has a patent on the sliding stop? I bet they do. If so, you will have to wait a long time before someone else comes out with one, if ever.

Some of my friends make their own try squares from wood and/or brass. Have you considered making a sleeve that fits over an ordinary double-square fence, with its own sliding stop? The design in my head would use two crossed dado cuts, with a recessed screw to move the slide in and out.

P.S. I agree with @alecralston's sentiment. Many nice people here have been doing their best to help you, on their own time.
Tool Agnostic is offline  
post #15 of 17 Old 07-21-2020, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 14
View donayre21's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by alecralston View Post
I was just giving my experience. No need to be rude when I'm just trying to help...I gave other options because the Woodpeckers joinery square is the only one including a stop like that...
Did not mean to be rude, two people before you had already done the same thing and suggested a regular double square. It was in no way aimed at you but rather to the entire post, I do apologies if in any way I made you feel less of a person.
donayre21 is offline  
post #16 of 17 Old 07-21-2020, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 14
View donayre21's Photo Album My Photos
THank you all for posting different suggestions. As of now it seems there not such option but feel free to visit this post in the future if anything else pops up. Thanks again and I wish you all the best
donayre21 is offline  
post #17 of 17 Old 07-21-2020, 07:52 AM
Senior Member
 
hawkeye10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Murfreesboro, Tn.
Posts: 1,194
View hawkeye10's Photo Album My Photos
I watched the video and now I want one of those nice squares. I would get the 4" model because it would fit in my apron pocket. I now have the PEC 4" and 6" squares that are blemished. The difference between the PEC and the I-Gauging squares is the PEC squares operate so smoothly.

I agree the stop on is nice and if I really wanted the stop I would buy the Woodpecker square.

Don in Murfreesboro, TN.
hawkeye10 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome