Black and Decker 24v drill - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 12-31-2008, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

View Shanomac21's Photo Album My Photos
Question Black and Decker 24v drill

I just picked this drill up for fifty dollars along with about 60 bits, has anybody heard anything about it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-31-2008, 07:44 AM

View Just Bill's Photo Album My Photos
As a pro, I would never consider anything from B&D, and I don't even like the weight of the 18V drills. They wear you down fast if it is a long job. I will have to admit the price is good, if it lasts.
post #3 of 11 Old 12-31-2008, 08:42 AM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Shano,
Guess it depends on how much you are going to use it. Should be ok for the price. Home Depot had dewalt 18v drills on sale the day after thanksgiving for 99.00. Drill, two batteries and a charger in a nice plastic case. Good deal for dewalt. I bought two just for the batteries.
Mike Hawkins
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 12-31-2008, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Thank you, I don't think I will be using it a whole lot, so I think it is worth the price.
post #5 of 11 Old 12-31-2008, 07:48 PM

View Just Bill's Photo Album My Photos
My friend got a Craftsman 19V drill for a birthday a couple of years ago. Very little usage in real time, both batts are dead. Drill is fine, but usually the batts cost almost as much as a new drill set.
post #6 of 11 Old 12-31-2008, 08:05 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
My friend got a Craftsman 19V drill for a birthday a couple of years ago. Very little usage in real time, both batts are dead. Drill is fine, but usually the batts cost almost as much as a new drill set.

They have got cheaper. My Craftsman batteries are 4 or 5 years old and still going strong. A secret is to drain them completely before recharging.

G
post #7 of 11 Old 12-31-2008, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
They have got cheaper. My Craftsman batteries are 4 or 5 years old and still going strong. A secret is to drain them completely before recharging.

G
Yeah, I have heard that is good to do.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-23-2009, 08:46 AM

View mmtools's Photo Album My Photos
This is a real common concern Battery "life" and cost to replace. Older Ni-cad batteries do better if you drain completely b4 recharging. Newer ones don't have a "memory" so it is not a concern. Ni-Mh types are similar. The Li-ion don't have memory, and should not be discharged. Every mfr. batteries are WAY $$$$.
It's as if they want you to "pack the landfill" and buy new tools

Mike O
Vegetarians, and their Hezbollah-like splinter faction, the vegans ... are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit. - Anthony Bourdain
Toolsandmachinery.com
post #9 of 11 Old 01-25-2009, 10:56 AM
Admiral

View Admiral's Photo Album My Photos
Sort of OT don't you think?? No criticism intended, but since when is a powered drill, cordless or not, considered a "hand tool?" Drills that are handtools are eggbeaters, yankee push drills, braces, or even an archimedes or a bow drill. Just a thought provoking, perhaps consciousness-raising note.

BTW, if nobody here has tried the old yankee push drills, they are the best for installer types; the Bell System used to supply them as part of the basic kit for phone installers.

RN
post #10 of 11 Old 01-25-2009, 01:20 PM

View aggreX's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanomac21 View Post
I just picked this drill up for fifty dollars along with about 60 bits, has anybody heard anything about it?
The BD drill will perform well for most DIY projects but 24V power tools tend to be heavy/large power tools. For the price you paid, replacement battery availability may not be a concern but it definitely can be an issue. IMO the 18V Ryobi is probably one of the best DIY drill line up because it offers great value/performance, battery availability+Li upgrade, and a wide-selection of optional power tools compatible with the same battery system.
post #11 of 11 Old 01-30-2009, 01:44 PM

View jana88's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanomac21 View Post
Seems a great deal!

Tags
24v, black and decker, drill

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode