Atkins 490 one man timber saw - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By ThePeoplesWoodshop
  • 1 Post By 35015

post #1 of 8 Old 04-18-2018, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

View ThePeoplesWoodshop's Photo Album My Photos
Atkins 490 one man timber saw

Just wanted to post this little beauty from my mother in laws that i'm in the middle of reconditioning while I wait for the Atkins raker gauge I got on ebay for $20

Anyone ever had any fun playing with these?
i'm gonna be using it to mill up some 2 to 4 foot wide white and red oak for some furniture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180416_090018_226.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	585.5 KB
ID:	356882  

Name:	20180416_185239.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	365.9 KB
ID:	356890  

Name:	IMG_20180417_083704_732.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	356898  

35015 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-18-2018, 02:27 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum! When you get a minute go ahead and complete your profile with first name and location. You can add your name to your signature line and it will show in each post.

You have seriously got to want to cut some wood to use something like that! My hat's off to you.

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel and Instagram
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #3 of 8 Old 04-18-2018, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Ya, a buddy from my day job has a TON of red and white oak from a tree removal guy he knows. I was trying to get a sawyer to take a crack at it but he said they are too short for his mill (roughly anywhere from three to six feet long on one or two logs) Don't have any chainsaws long enough plus i tend to make things more complicated then they have to be haha. Definitely gonna take some elbow grease but low overhead for some great material to make some live edge furniture and maybe a top for my future work bench if there's some long enough and in good shape.

Allan

A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; but a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist. -
Louis Nizer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-18-2018, 03:58 PM
Former Member

View 35015's Photo Album My Photos
Hello and welcome...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePeoplesWoodshop View Post
Anyone ever had any fun playing with these?...i'm gonna be using it to mill up some 2 to 4 foot wide white and red oak for some furniture.
Yes...fairly often, but I'm afraid to say this is a "bucking saw" from what I can see? Its meant for crosscutting and not ripping...unless you change the pitch, and rake on the teeth...Even then there are better and more germane modalities to employ for such traditional work...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePeoplesWoodshop View Post
Ya, a buddy from my day job has a TON of red and white oak from a tree removal guy he knows. I was trying to get a sawyer to take a crack at it but he said they are too short for his mill (roughly anywhere from three to six feet long on one or two logs) Don't have any chainsaws long enough plus i tend to make things more complicated then they have to be haha. Definitely gonna take some elbow grease but low overhead for some great material to make some live edge furniture and maybe a top for my future work bench if there's some long enough and in good shape.
If these are mix butt section and smaller bolts of residential logs, the fact that there may be metal in them is enough for many remote/custom Sawyers to charge more and/or for damage to there blades and machine when they hit it...Most won't even touch them...

If I may suggest, try riving some plank, and other stock out of these. The process is relatively fast and straightforward. Plenty of info on the web (good and bad) about it.

Good luck,

j

This is a dear friend and colleague of mine...You may enjoy it?

gmercer_48083 likes this.

Last edited by 35015; 04-18-2018 at 05:08 PM.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-18-2018, 04:26 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
riving or splitting planks from logs

I once tried quartering a 12" Maple log with a chain saw. I worked ...eventually because I didn't own a ripping blade for the saw. Ripping is so different than bucking or crosscutting it's hard to understand if you haven't done it. It never occurred to me to split them with wedges even though I split a mess of wood for heating my home using wedges, mauls and a hydraulic log splitter. Some straight grained logs split easily. Other logs with crotches are much more difficult.

If you are lucky enough to have mostly straight grained logs you will be better off with a minimum of 3 splitting wedges, maybe more depending on their length. I only use a steel sledge hammer but if I were to do this frequently I would look into a heavy wood mallet. A splitting froe is also another useful tool for logs that aren't too wide, but I've never used one or owned one.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #6 of 8 Old 04-18-2018, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Oh no this puppy is getting used to cross cut some slab coins. These things are massive old growths but they are too short to get a table out of the rip. Maybe some end tables but i'll definitely be hewing the rip cuts. Plus i can do that with some combo chainsaw action if needs be. I'm going to cut them thick for kilning and drill out some of the piths just because i'm interested in the different results I get in the checking. Which i'm expecting and plan on doing resin pours and keys.

Allan

A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; but a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist. -
Louis Nizer
post #7 of 8 Old 04-18-2018, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Heres some photos of the lumber. Theres a few in there that come a little under my chest and im 5'9". Gorgeous wood.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180305_175012001_1520347270965_1524097328046.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	617.0 KB
ID:	356922  

Name:	20180410_184814001_1523453584459_1524097388688.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	539.9 KB
ID:	356930  

Allan

Louis Nizer
post #8 of 8 Old 04-20-2018, 05:07 PM

View P89DC's Photo Album My Photos
Just don't be these guys:
https://youtu.be/lqQ1Ga3dgMQ?t=25

Tags
antique, atkins, handtools, one man saw, restoration

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode