Anyone know about these?? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 02-15-2013, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

View bigg081's Photo Album My Photos
Anyone know about these??

Does anyone have any knowledge of these planes? My father found them about 7 years ago. They are not I'm my possession but I can get further info.

Anyone know about these??-image-1111634739.jpg

Anyone know about these??-image-263304301.jpg

Anyone know about these??-image-1106851785.jpg

Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-15-2013, 05:16 PM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
Well apparently you do - your father found them.

Sorry could not resist a leg pull.

Many companies made tools for the big stores, Sears, Wards, even some of the big hardware stores. They had the "store" label.

Some of these were very similar to the Stanleys at the time, frequently some features omitted to save price.

There are a lot of no-name around. If you get this you may find some stamping on the blade, sometimes no markings at all.

The middle plane is a transitional - as in these were part metal - the portion to hold and adjst the blade - and part wood. In between the wood planes and the later all metal planes.

Transitional planes are loved by some, and hated by some. I had one, and did not like it so I passed it onto Chris Curl who does seem to like it.

These are potential users, but you may have to put in some elbow grease to tune them in order to get decent performance.

Frequently the old planes have bad sharpenings, or have not been sharpened for a long time.

If you can get these, they are worthwhile to have, even if only to learn about tuning planes, sharpening blades, etc.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-15-2013, 05:32 PM

View trc65's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Paine View Post
If you can get these, they are worthwhile to have, even if only to learn about tuning planes, sharpening blades, etc.
+1 I'd never pass up the opportunity to acquire more planes. I think all three could be good user planes once tuned up. The Wards Master is a relatively common plane that I've seen quite a few around.

Look on the front of the wood block on the transitional, they are sometimes stamped there with a model number or manufacturer. It is similar in size to a SB #35 that I have. Like Dave mentioned, it's a love/hate relationship. Sometimes it works really well for me and other times I want to smash it on the concrete.

Even though the totes are split, you should be able to glue them back together and make them useable. If you decide you want to get/keep and use the planes you can then make some new totes if you want.

"Good Behavior is the last refuge of mediocrity" -- Henry S. Haskins
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 02-15-2013, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

So the Transitional is more than likely the oldest of the bunch...im guessing anyway. Are these worth anything? My Father is going to give them to me and Im not planing on selling them but curiousity always gets me. Im sure they arent worth a bunch. Not like the Stanley #1 I saw on eBay for $1500!!!! YIKES!!!

EDIT: Spoke to my Father again and he said that the wooden one had "JFB" stamped or burned on the side.....does that mean anything?

Last edited by bigg081; 02-15-2013 at 06:58 PM.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-15-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigg081 View Post
So the Transitional is more than likely the oldest of the bunch...im guessing anyway. Are these worth anything? My Father is going to give them to me and Im not planing on selling them but curiousity always gets me. Im sure they arent worth a bunch. Not like the Stanley #1 I saw on eBay for $1500!!!! YIKES!!!
On EBay I see what I consider junk sometimes going for high prices.

This is my EBay search for Hand Planes in the Collectibles. Take a look through the auctions will give you a feel.

Some transitionals can be valuable, it depends on whether folks are eager to own. The Stanley No. 1 going for $1,500 is not a surprise. Rare and for some reason folks want to own them.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Planes-/1387...refLoc=3&rt=nc
post #6 of 9 Old 02-15-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigg081 View Post
EDIT: Spoke to my Father again and he said that the wooden one had "JFB" stamped or burned on the side.....does that mean anything?
Back in the day of these tools it was common for the owner to put his name on the tools. As you can imagine the work sites back then, with everyone having similar tools, you wanted to ensure you knew which were your own.

Name or initials are common.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-15-2013, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

I figured initials but it was worth asking. Father said I can have them when I come to visit but little does he know that he is going to have to ship them to me because I dont want to wait!!!! HAHA
post #8 of 9 Old 02-28-2013, 02:29 AM

View texasfl0od's Photo Album My Photos
good evening to you all ! the wards master was sold by montgomery wards and manufactured by stanley as well as some other companies, not sure about dating a wards master - the transitional looks like a #35 ( i am guessing due to the length of the plane) . there is a very knowledgeable fellow on e bay that does a beautiful job restoring planes and we have had several conversations about dunlap, wards master , millers falls and of couse stanley planes . he is an older felloe from oregon and loves to talk about old tools and i try to absorb as much as i can from him !

Last edited by texasfl0od; 02-28-2013 at 02:32 AM.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-28-2013, 10:17 AM

View amckenzie4's Photo Album My Photos
I've got a Wards #4, which I quite like. It needs a bit more tweaking (it was in pretty rough shape when I got it, mechanically speaking), but it works well.

A #5 and a #4 are good planes to start with -- the 9 1/2" size is roughly a number 4. They'll handle a lot of smoothing work.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode