Anybody working on hand tools or projects lately? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 11Likes
  • 1 Post By Tool Agnostic
  • 2 Post By Old_Tom
  • 2 Post By Red5hft
  • 1 Post By Red5hft
  • 1 Post By jeff100
  • 1 Post By YME
  • 1 Post By AmishElectricCo
  • 1 Post By AwesomeOpossum74
  • 1 Post By homestd

post #1 of 12 Old 09-06-2019, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Be Nice

View JohnTC's Photo Album My Photos
Anybody working on hand tools or projects lately?

Injured my back over a week ago. Went for 5 days without taking a single step and only a few the last few days. Anybody got some tool restores, purchases, or projects to share? Been missing the shop.

"The kind of man who wants the government to adopt and enforce his ideas is always the kind of man whose ideas are idiotic." -H.L. Mencken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-08-2019, 10:58 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
This thread is not being ignored. I sent a PM with stuff to share. Get well soon!
JohnTC likes this.
post #3 of 12 Old 09-08-2019, 10:44 PM

View Old_Tom's Photo Album My Photos
Hi John. Sorry to hear about the back mate. Hope it is getting better. Life is pretty slow for me at the moment, as far as projects go. Just got my router table to where I want it, finally.
Also got the fence built for it.
Produced a couple of wall mounts for crystals for my granddaughter. I left the wood bare as she wanted to finish it. She is 13 and has an artistic flair. I am trying to steer her towards dabbling in some woodworking. I gave her my old Dremel tool and airbrush with compressor to set the fire burning.
Anyway, not much else at the moment.
Hope you are able to get back in your shop soon mate.
Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Table front_sm.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	393.0 KB
ID:	378557  

Name:	router table_with fence_small.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	378559  

Name:	Crystal wall holder_small.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	205.6 KB
ID:	378561  

Tool Agnostic and JohnTC like this.

I go overboard with every hobby I get involved in.......no exceptions!
Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 09-09-2019, 11:20 AM

View Red5hft's Photo Album My Photos
Get Well Soon

John,

Sorry to hear about you being laid up. Hope you are back in the shop soon. You know I am always restoring some hand planes. Have 6 in process at the time. I will get some images loaded up for you. In the meantime, here is a picture of my first attempt at restoring an old Fulton dovetail/tenon saw. I decided to play around with re-etching the original plate markings. I mechanically etched it prior to rust removal so it looks far more prominent that it really is. After rust removal, the etch became the ghost image I as looking for. Pretty happy with the results so far. Working on the handle (Tote? I am new to the saw thing) now. Looked like the owners dog chewed off the upper tang.

There is a video of the process you can find it on my website at APlaneLife.us.

Hang in there!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Snapshot 1 (8-5-2019 5-37 PM).jpg
Views:	35
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	378565  

Tool Agnostic and JohnTC like this.

- Greg

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

"Whether you think you can, or you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
post #5 of 12 Old 09-09-2019, 02:32 PM

View Red5hft's Photo Album My Photos
Fulton Saw Re-etch

John,

Here is an image of the final product of the re-etch attempt. After rust cleanup I ended up with a nice ghost image on the saw plate. Also attached are images of my first handle repair attempt. Is it a handle or a tote on a saw? Anyway, according to my 1908 catalog the handle was apple wood. I did not have any around so I used a piece of rosewood. Will probably regret that later, but this is intended to be a user saw, not a showpiece. Next I have to acquire the tools and knowledge to sharpen it. I have been searching for a Fulton saw vise. I was outbid on one a few months back. Would be nice to have as part of my crazy Fulton tool collection. Man, that's a lot of teeth to file! I am going to expand my range of patience with this project.

Greg
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Post etch final image.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	469.6 KB
ID:	378567  

Name:	Handle repair left.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	675.6 KB
ID:	378569  

Name:	Handle repair right.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	686.5 KB
ID:	378571  

JohnTC likes this.

- Greg

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

"Whether you think you can, or you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
post #6 of 12 Old 09-10-2019, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Be Nice

View JohnTC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Tom View Post
Hi John. Sorry to hear about the back mate. Hope it is getting better. Life is pretty slow for me at the moment, as far as projects go. Just got my router table to where I want it, finally.
Also got the fence built for it.
Produced a couple of wall mounts for crystals for my granddaughter. I left the wood bare as she wanted to finish it. She is 13 and has an artistic flair. I am trying to steer her towards dabbling in some woodworking. I gave her my old Dremel tool and airbrush with compressor to set the fire burning.
Anyway, not much else at the moment.
Hope you are able to get back in your shop soon mate.
Cheers.
That table is pure eye candy! Love it! Switched over to hand tools a while back and rarely touch a power tool, except for the router sled. Think I'm gonna have to go back to using more power tools and a router table is at the top of the list to build. Right now I have an insert I can put on the rails of my table saw to use as a router table, but I'd prefer a dedicated station.

I hope you are able to get your granddaughter interested in woodworking. Will be a good opportunity to spend time with her and teach her a skill. Been trying to get my youngest son to get in the shop with me, but he's not having any of it. Thought about buying the materials and getting him a basic set of hand tools to build his own workbench. We'll see. lol. My daughter fell in love with crocheting and sewing and actually made money doing it in high school. Her grandmother was the inspiration that got her into it. Her senior year, she volunteered with an organization that provided free dresses to students for prom, etc. She would repair the dresses, alter them to fit the student who chose it, or make modifications to meet the desires of the student such as adding modesty panels, etc. Not saying to get your granddaughter into making clothes. Just giving you an example how a grandparent can inspire really great things in their grandchildren.

Thank you for sharing,
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red5hft View Post
John,

Sorry to hear about you being laid up. Hope you are back in the shop soon. You know I am always restoring some hand planes. Have 6 in process at the time. I will get some images loaded up for you. In the meantime, here is a picture of my first attempt at restoring an old Fulton dovetail/tenon saw. I decided to play around with re-etching the original plate markings. I mechanically etched it prior to rust removal so it looks far more prominent that it really is. After rust removal, the etch became the ghost image I as looking for. Pretty happy with the results so far. Working on the handle (Tote? I am new to the saw thing) now. Looked like the owners dog chewed off the upper tang.

There is a video of the process you can find it on my website at APlaneLife.us.

Hang in there!!!
Good video! Very nice work on the etch and the horn! The general rule is to repair with a lighter wood if you can't match it since you can always use dyes, toners, etc to get close to the original color, but still looks great and not a big deal as a user. Most important is that it feels good in your hand, and that looks like it feels great. Have a Fulton one man timber crosscut saw and a Fulton bench vise and pretty sure I have a few Fulton chisels as well. I like them all. Looked on my phone, but can't find any pictures of them and can't get out there for a while. There are a lot of good videos on youtube about sharpening. Avoid filing the teeth down to nothing and starting over unless there are too many broken teeth. It's a real pain. lol. That saw doesn't look like it will be difficult to tune up. If you're going to get a saw set, I love the Stanley 42X. Would love to see a video of the saw being used when you get it fixed up.

Thank you for sharing,
John

• Add to Phrasebook
    • No word lists for English -> English...
    • Create a new word list...
  • Copy

"The kind of man who wants the government to adopt and enforce his ideas is always the kind of man whose ideas are idiotic." -H.L. Mencken
post #7 of 12 Old 11-21-2019, 01:49 PM

View jeff100's Photo Album My Photos
sorry to hear about your back. one of those kinda pains you cant get away from. I recently just finished up a total restore of a floor model 1940-50 walker turner drill press. i posted the whole process, and pics on here.

Working on finishing up a very cool vintage fridge, in the painstaking paint/sand portion of it.

Also beginning the process of building a 20" disk sander. planning on making it with a nice cabinet base / dust collection, etc. exactly what you would find on those older industrial models. should be a fun time.
JohnTC likes this.
post #8 of 12 Old 12-30-2019, 12:18 AM
YME

View YME's Photo Album My Photos
Sorry I don't have any photos or videos but I have had several projects lately. The most memorable were making a nicker blade and nicker blade wedge for an English moving fillister, making three new blade caps for two Stanley #51s and a Stanley #151 from some old lawnmower blades along with making blades for the 51s from some old well-used plane blades. I also made a new Corian handle and back for a tenon saw plate taken from a cheap Stanley backsaw. The saw plate was great but the original handle and thin steel back added up to a miserable saw. I could have made the handle from wood (and had for others) but I wanted to investigate the Corian as a material for shop project use and since I was not restoring an old saw the material was suitable. The added weight and a newly sharpened blade adds up to an extremely sweet little saw. A brass back would have been preferable (I do love brass on my tools) but the Corian was available, easy to shape and seems to work well. That was all for last week.
JohnTC likes this.
post #9 of 12 Old 12-30-2019, 12:53 AM

View AmishElectricCo's Photo Album My Photos
Might be a little while for me. I'm in "shop maintenance" mode at the moment. Just tore off my drywall ceiling and added new LED lights. Next, I want to run some new electric lines (I only have 1 outlet on that side of the garage). Want to get a few more things up to snuff before I start working on projects again.
JohnTC likes this.

⚡ Anthony
post #10 of 12 Old 12-30-2019, 11:49 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
How is @JohnTC doing? Any improvement? Any chance to get out and smell the sawdust?
post #11 of 12 Old 12-30-2019, 03:42 PM

View AwesomeOpossum74's Photo Album My Photos
Not a big build project, but a refurbishment (minor structural repairs, mostly cosmetic) of a pair of dressers. Will be refinished and repainted. Wife plans to floral/stencil up the front.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Horizontal Dresser.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	222.5 KB
ID:	382659  

Name:	Vertical Dresser.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	382661  

JohnTC likes this.

Geoff
post #12 of 12 Old 12-31-2019, 03:26 AM

View homestd's Photo Album My Photos
Do what the doctors tell you and don't rush it. I was in a wheelchair for 18mos, 10 surgeries (leg not back) but take your time so you heal properly. You can make it.
JohnTC likes this.

Mother is the necessity of most invention.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode