Affordable Router Plane? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 21 Old 05-28-2015, 02:44 AM Thread Starter

View TimeTurnsElastic's Photo Album My Photos
Affordable Router Plane?

Well, I still haven't been able to afford a router yet because work's been slow. But I need to cut some dados. Watched some YouTube videos and the best method I saw of cutting dados by hand used a bench chisel and router plane. Unfortunately the only router planes I was able to find online were vintage ones on fleabay - not cheap by hand tool standards (mostly $75 and up). Are there any tool manufacturers that still make them, and if so, at affordable prices?

Alternatively if anyone has any suggestions on good techniques for cutting dados sans router or router plane, it would be greatly appreciated. I could still use a back saw and a chisel. But how to clear away the waste well enough to get a nice clean joint?

Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 05-28-2015, 02:40 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Funnily enough a router plane will cost about the same as a router. People are crazy about their hand tools that way. Personally, I'd keep an eye on craigslist. In my area routers pop up fairly often, usually in the <50$ range. Depending on your budget, craftsman also has their fixed based router for ~80$, and a fixed/plunge base combo for ~100$. You could also cut a dado fairly well with just a table saw and standard blade, making multiple side by side passes. The same trick also works with a hand held circular saw, but is a little more prone to inaccuracy. A back saw and a chisel would work, that just seems horribly tedious to me

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #3 of 21 Old 05-28-2015, 05:25 PM

View asevereid's Photo Album My Photos
Look up Peter Sellers on YouTube... He's got a video that shows how to make a router plane in a pinch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 05-28-2015, 05:57 PM

View Bill White's Photo Album My Photos
PAUL Sellers. Not Peter.
Bill
post #5 of 21 Old 05-28-2015, 06:18 PM

View asevereid's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill White View Post
PAUL Sellers. Not Peter.
Bill
Sorry!
My bad.... Working outside all day and it's pretty damn warm out.
post #6 of 21 Old 05-28-2015, 07:19 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Dados

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeTurnsElastic View Post
Well, I still haven't been able to afford a router yet because work's been slow. But I need to cut some dados. Watched some YouTube videos and the best method I saw of cutting dados by hand used a bench chisel and router plane. Unfortunately the only router planes I was able to find online were vintage ones on fleabay - not cheap by hand tool standards (mostly $75 and up). Are there any tool manufacturers that still make them, and if so, at affordable prices?

Alternatively if anyone has any suggestions on good techniques for cutting dados sans router or router plane, it would be greatly appreciated. I could still use a back saw and a chisel. But how to clear away the waste well enough to get a nice clean joint?

Thanks!!!
Time Turns
Dados are among some of the simpler joints to make.
I don't know what power tools you may already own, but dados can be cut on a radial arm saw, a table saw or with a portable circular saw if you don't have access to a router.
When you d vide to buy, I think you will enjoy a router much more than a router plane. It will be much more versatile.
Welcome to our forum and good luck.
post #7 of 21 Old 05-28-2015, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the helpful suggestions.

EpicFail - I live in Los Angeles where there are few good used tools deals to be had. You're very right about router planes costing almost as much as routers, I'm definitely going to save my $. Do you know if it's acceptable on this forum to ask if anyone's selling a router in the classifieds?

Bill & asevereid - thanks for the heads up on the Paul Sellers tutorial, I think I'll try my hand.

Toolman - thank you, glad to be here! I do have a TS and circ saw, so if I fail to build a decent router plane I'll go one of those routes. Agree on a router over a router plane, I was just hoping a router plane might be an affordable alternative to tie me over for this project but that doesn't seem to be the case. Hopefully work picks up soon!
The Following User Says Thank You to TimeTurnsElastic For This Useful Post:
asevereid (05-28-2015)
post #8 of 21 Old 06-12-2015, 02:35 AM
No shop woodshop

View maybedave's Photo Album My Photos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_2a_FwjAgk

Making it all up as I go...
post #9 of 21 Old 06-14-2015, 05:50 PM
recently retired

View Keith Mathewson's Photo Album My Photos
Why do you want to use a router plane instead of a electric router and What is your budget for a router plane?
post #10 of 21 Old 06-15-2015, 01:32 AM Thread Starter

Keith, embarrassingly it is more about finances (or lack thereof) than anything else. I built props and sets for the entertainment biz for years but work has really dried up recently and I took this as an opportunity to go back to school for interior design -- not the best time to get into a "hobby" like woodworking I suppose, hah! That said, as marginal as $100-$150 for a halfway decent router might be to many, it's cost prohibitive for me. Long story short, I'd been needing to cut some dadoes but didn't have money for an electronic router, yet thought I could go "old school" and try my hand with a backsaw and bench chisel, and clean out the waste with a simple dado plan...only to discover a decent plane will run me about the same amount of $... Terribly sorry for the long ramble, lol!

In any case, since my OP I ultimately found a Craftsman 315.17540 in like new condition for only $25. So I'm giving it a go with that, despite its obvious limitations and questionable build quality. Some kind forum regulars even suggested a possible crowd funding type pool to help outfit me with something a little better, for which I'm humbled and grateful, though not so sure that will ever come to fruition. So for now, I'm making do and learning some routing basics as best I can, and just thankful for all the wonderful advice I've been receiving from the kind folks on here.

Anyway, sorry for the long answer to a simple question. I AM very interested in taking on some WW projects entirely by hand and interested in acquiring some hand tool essentials such as a router and shoulder plane, and maybe a few chisels. But the original question was more about finding an economical solution to the project at hand.

If you have thoughts or advice, any wisdom for a novice beyond what's already been bestowed is always appreciated!

Cheers,
Tristan
post #11 of 21 Old 06-15-2015, 07:18 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill White View Post
PAUL Sellers. Not Peter.
Bill
Now don't downgrade Peter. I bet he could come up with something.

George
The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgeC For This Useful Post:
asevereid (06-15-2015)
post #12 of 21 Old 06-15-2015, 01:25 PM

View Hammer1's Photo Album My Photos
A huge problem in the modern world of woodworking is the spread of bad information about tools and processes.=p
post #13 of 21 Old 06-15-2015, 08:17 PM
recently retired

Tristan,

I have a router plane for sale at a price I know you can afford.
post #14 of 21 Old 06-17-2015, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Keith, that's very kind of you to offer, this is a tough hobby to be obsessed with when one's finances are rough! I'd like to take you up on your offer, so please let me know how to proceed! Thanks again, you're a good man.
post #15 of 21 Old 06-17-2015, 07:44 PM
recently retired

Hi,

Take a $1 bill and put it in an envelop. Write you name & address on the back and send it to
4841 West Marginal Way SW, Seattle Wa 98106

Enjoy,
Keith
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Keith Mathewson For This Useful Post:
BigJim (06-17-2015), TimeTurnsElastic (06-18-2015)
post #16 of 21 Old 06-18-2015, 01:24 AM Thread Starter

Thank You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Mathewson View Post
Hi,

Take a $1 bill and put it in an envelop. Write you name & address on the back and send it to

Enjoy,
Keith
Done and done! Thanks Keith, that's extremely generous of you, and a perfect example of why this is such an amazing community I'll be mailing an envelope your way tomorrow morning! Really can't thank you enough, times have been tough for me lately but when work picks up again I'll be sure and pay it forward.

Would it help for me to send a padded SASE envelope?
post #17 of 21 Old 06-18-2015, 02:48 AM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Mathewson View Post
Hi,

Enjoy,
Keith
You, you are why I still enjoy hanging around this forum. Good to know people can still be awesome

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to epicfail48 For This Useful Post:
asevereid (06-18-2015), TimeTurnsElastic (06-18-2015)
post #18 of 21 Old 06-18-2015, 11:53 AM
recently retired

Thanks, Just send it in an envelope.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Keith Mathewson For This Useful Post:
BigJim (06-20-2015), TimeTurnsElastic (06-18-2015)
post #19 of 21 Old 06-18-2015, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfail48 View Post
You, you are why I still enjoy hanging around this forum. Good to know people can still be awesome
Hey epicfail48, you're not so bad yourself Throwing out that crowd funding idea to help get me a decent router was absolutely one of the kindest things anyone's ever done for me.

And then this, from Keith...

Man, I wish this thing had a rockstar emoticon for the both of you!
post #20 of 21 Old 06-20-2015, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Ok, so this is more of a project related question and I don't mean to hijack my own thread, but because it pertains to the possible application of the dado plane Keith is kind enough to be sending, here goes. I'm new to fine woodwork as well as a novice when it comes to working without power so please don't go too hard on me!

I am hand-making a simple "case study" type planter from pine. Four equidistant legs joined by two crossing brackets the planter itself rests on. Picture is one of these brackets; to join them I am doing some half laps. I made the cuts with a gents saw and have been cleaning up with a detail sander. But as you can see, my work is none too clean. (I mocked in the other bracket and it's a snug enough fit they'll join but with a few small visible gaps )

Öunless I can clean things up. Particularly note the slight rounding in the corners. I also may have passed the halfway depth by 1/16 to 1/8. Not going to lose sleep over that part as I'll just have to compensate a bit on my other half lap. But obviously I do need to be very delicate in attempting to clean things up further. What is recommended for squaring off the corners and flattening the cut edges?

Do I wait for Keith's plane and make a few gentle passes? VERY gently chip at the rounded corners with a chisel (I only own one, a Marples 5/16)? Or just leave be and accept the imperfections? As mentioned, the other crossbar does slot in, but I don't have much play at all: less than 1/16 in width, the depth maybe a hair more because I can just do the other half lap a little shallower as I don't care if they're not a perfect 50-50 fit.

Thanks guys.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode