Advice on newly obtained wooden jack plane - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kilravn

post #1 of 6 Old 01-29-2019, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

View Kilravn's Photo Album My Photos
Advice on newly obtained wooden jack plane

I just got this plane, and I am having a bit of trouble with something. I took the wedge and blade assembly out, but the blade assembly will not go back in. It is way too tight. I guess the walls of the plane had shrunk in on it, and after I took it out, it took up a little space. My question is, should I file down the sides of the iron and chip breaker, or sand down the inside walls of the plane for it to fit. It only needs a little bit for it to go, and the wedge seems fine. I really don’t want to mess this up, as this is my first ever wooden plane. Pictures will be posted as other comments. Thanks
Brandon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-29-2019, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

The first pic is as far as the blade assembly will go back in. The 2cd and 3rd are the nicks in the inside wall of the plane from trying to get the iron in
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7283DBEB-D02F-431E-9EAC-122AE805A85D_1548806379624.jpg (256.7 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg 1B7B3549-EEA5-4C3C-B6DB-A03C6B1E5C92_1548806458120.jpg (226.9 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg 48E9A8E3-F8BD-4B4C-AFC7-3B715C7FB47F_1548806469551.jpg (216.4 KB, 65 views)
post #3 of 6 Old 01-29-2019, 08:11 PM
Master firewood maker

View Chris Curl's Photo Album My Photos
I would probably file the iron down a little to make it a tad narrower. It seems to me that would be a safer than thinning the sides of the plane body would be. But I'm no expert.

... turning perfectly good wood into firewood every day ... :smile3:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-29-2019, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Curl View Post
I would probably file the iron down a little to make it a tad narrower. It seems to me that would be a safer than thinning the sides of the plane body would be. But I'm no expert.
Ok. Cool. Thanks for the info. Someone on another board said the same thing, so that’s what I’m gonna do. I’m gonna clean it very well with mineral spirits and steel wool. After I do that, I probably will only need to remove a hairs worth of steel. Thanks again
post #5 of 6 Old 01-29-2019, 08:33 PM
Former Member

View 35015's Photo Album My Photos
Woah...Hold on!!!!

LOL...but seriously to...lets not start filing, grinding or "resizing" anything just yet...!!!???

IF...(??)...that is the actual original iron and wedge to that plan, there is absolutely no reason to start modifying things just yet, and it goes against the standards of "proper restoration" of any artifact...tool, furniture, house or otherwise...

Now, I'm a bit reluctant to give the following advise as it is not really meant for the novice, but its not that difficult either.

To me, it sounds like the plan has been neglected for a long time and could just be a bit out or wake regarding its moisture content...

So, with the wedge and iron in the plane body (just setting in the position...not pushed in tight) place the tool on a cookie sheet and place in an oven with the warm setting (aka 120F to 130F) only!!!! Leave it there for an hour or two and see how the fit is at that time.

Do note, if this plane was "out of wack" for some reason (and that's why it was retired?) then this procedure in reconditioning the plane body may well reveal why it was retired in the first place...

If the blade and wedge res-eat properly after this, then while the entire thing is still warm, you may want to wax (beeswax) the entire plane body. If they don't...let us know?
post #6 of 6 Old 01-29-2019, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay C. White Cloud View Post
LOL...but seriously to...lets not start filing, grinding or "resizing" anything just yet...!!!???

IF...(??)...that is the actual original iron and wedge to that plan, there is absolutely no reason to start modifying things just yet, and it goes against the standards of "proper restoration" of any artifact...tool, furniture, house or otherwise...

Now, I'm a bit reluctant to give the following advise as it is not really meant for the novice, but its not that difficult either.

To me, it sounds like the plan has been neglected for a long time and could just be a bit out or wake regarding its moisture content...

So, with the wedge and iron in the plane body (just setting in the position...not pushed in tight) place the tool on a cookie sheet and place in an oven with the warm setting (aka 120F to 130F) only!!!! Leave it there for an hour or two and see how the fit is at that time.

Do note, if this plane was "out of wack" for some reason (and that's why it was retired?) then this procedure in reconditioning the plane body may well reveal why it was retired in the first place...

If the blade and wedge res-eat properly after this, then while the entire thing is still warm, you may want to wax (beeswax) the entire plane body. If they don't...let us know?
I am happy to report...that I think I got it, without any modifications what so ever.
So far, I cleaned the plane body and wedge with mineral spirits and steel wool. After that, I wiped everything down with alcohol and removed all residue from cleaning it. I paid special (and extremely careful) attention to the inside of the plane. After getting all this done, I started trying to fit the iron assembly again. It fits perfectly. It’s a little tight, as I’m pretty sure it should be, but not tight enough that I have to force it. I slide the blade assembly in at a slight angle, and when it all the way down, it drops perfectly flat onto the bed. That’s a relief.
Now, it time to start on getting this iron and chip breaker in order. I think that’s gonna be the tough part. Wish me luck.
Chris Curl likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode