#5 Stanley Sweetheart - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 12-27-2011, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

View JDFisher's Photo Album My Photos
#5 Stanley Sweetheart

Hey all,

I'm a noob in woodworking, been doing it about a year or so. Anyways I got a #5 Stanley as a gift and I watched a few vids on getting it set up. I thought I did everything right but for some reason it is still cutting off. Any tips? My guess is it might be my technique, I dunno, I'm trying to keep motion level. Any hints, tips or suggestions welcome.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-27-2011, 09:35 PM
I run with chisels.

View joesbucketorust's Photo Album My Photos
Assuming you honed the blade and are using the correct technique, you'll have to be more specific with the issue to properly diagnose the problem.

What exactly is it doing, or not doing? Shaving thicker on one side than the other - cutter not parallel to bed. Chatters? cutter out too far and lever cap not tight enough. Cuts a bit and then clogs? chip-breaker incorrectly installed, Very hard to push, not sharp and/or out too far - and the possibilities are endless. A pic of the shavings produced can give clues too, if that's possible.

Insert witty signature line here.
post #3 of 6 Old 12-27-2011, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

It's mainly cutting one side lower, more angled to my left side. I tried it on poplar after honing and initial set up. Then went to use it on a piece of project red oak and that's when I noticed the difference. The blade isn't chattering, but I did notice that it tends to skip on the wood. I tried to apply beeswax on the sole, it helped a little. I'm wondering if I should maybe just give in and buy a veritas or lie neilson blade? Just a little heads up on what I was working on. It was the back of a 3/4 inch book holder approx. 18" long, was planing with the grain, not end grain. Shavings looked even, when it didn't skip, so I thought all was well. Sorry I finished the project and the shavings were used as tender in the fire place :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 12-28-2011, 09:05 AM
I run with chisels.

View joesbucketorust's Photo Album My Photos
Red Oak being so much harder than poplar it will show the faults much quicker. Next time try holding the plane at a very slight angle to the direction of travel - kind of like a skew. If you picture shaving with a regular razor - going straight the normal way it cuts OK, but make the mistake of sliding the razor at an angle and it will slice half your cheek off before you notice. Same effect with a plane.

Skipping says the blade was contacting wood sometimes, and other times it wasn't. Either concentrate on the parts that stick up, or if you need to hit the entire length of the wood then bring the cutter out just a skosh more (that's a technical term. Get a good metal ruler with inches on one side and angel hairs on the other. You want to move the iron out about 1/100th of an angel hair.)

I thought the new Stanleys were supposed to come with nice blades. They're advertised as 1/8" A2 steel, so springing for a Hock isn't going to really do anything except lighten your wallet.

One more thing to check. When setting the iron depth, there may be some play in the knob. This would let the iron get pushed back up when it encounters heavy resistance. Play with adjusting by going from shallow to deep, and deep to shallow while the lever cap is semi-tight. There should be play one way, and no play the other - you want to do final adjustments in the direction of no-play. (Clear as mud? Maybe someone else can explain it easier please.)

Insert witty signature line here.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-28-2011, 09:54 AM
In History is the Future

View firemedic's Photo Album My Photos
JD, sounds like no biggie at all... I'm still waiting for the pictures Joe originally asked for though. Is that a possibility?

Main thing that pops out at me is the blades (1) not sharp enough and (2) not straight.

Both easy things to fix. Pictures would help conform this though...

~tom. ...GEAUX TIGERS!... ...GEAUX SAINTS!......
post #6 of 6 Old 12-28-2011, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Joe, no I completely understood and I'll give it a go. Ya it did come with the A2 blade so I will do the adjustment procedure you mentioned.

Tom, I finished the project I was working on so all the shavings were used in the fireplace. If I continue to have issues I'll be sure to take pics of the shavings.

Thanks guys

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode